Author Topic: Tatum >>>>>>>>>> jackson  (Read 3602 times)

Re: Tatum >>>>>>>>>> jackson
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 08:55:23 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Agreed about Jackson. Imo he 'll be a bust. Having said that, I 'm not particularly sold on Tatum either. Up until a week ago I was pretty much sure we would draft Fultz. In all honesty, I'm still p---ed off we traded down from #1.

I too was p---ed about trading down, but if it gets us the cap space to get Hayward, which leads us to PG13, I'm very happy to take Tatum instead of Fultz.

It wouldn't be possible to get to max money with the top pick. And since we can't trade for George before signing Hayward, I understand why Danny moved down.

Now if those moves don't follow within the next few weeks, I'll go back to being p---ed.
You don't trade down from #1 for salary relief. Not to mention we could keep #1 and still create max cap space for Hayward.

- renounce Kelly, Amir, Jerebko, Green, Zeller, Young
- decline team option on Mickey
- trade Bradley, Jackson for future pick(s)/salary relief
- stash Yab

That's more than enough cap space for Hayward's max (even with the cap projection reduced to $99 million).

Anyway, a quick question :

Assuming we sign both Hayward and George, how do Crowder, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and George play together?

It's certainly plausible if Ainge wasn't as high on Fultz as others were. If he really loved Tatum, it makes perfect sense to do what he did. We will know in a few weeks if that was the master plan. If nothing big happens next week, it's a big risk he took.

I believe you would still have to stash Zizic and make more moves to free up the full max. Then who do you trade for PG without AB's contract (who you would dump for nothing?)?

As for your question, I would assume at least one, but maybe two of Crowder/Brown/Tatum go to Indy. Definitely Crowder, I'd assume Bradley, and then a future pick or two.
1. Horford $27,734,405
2. Crowder $6,796,117
3. Thomas $6,261,394
4. Brown $4,956,480
5. Smart $4,538,019
6. Rozier $1,988,520
7. Tatum $6,115,850
8. Zizic $1,645,200
9. rookie minimum $815,615
10. rookie minimum $815,615
11. rookie minimum $815,615
12. Hayward $29,700,000

SUM : $92,182,830

I wouldn't trade for Paul George. If we can't move the needle past Cleveland/Golden State it doesn't mean anything. The way I see it, the best thing we can do is be patient and build through the draft.

Assuming we dumped Bradley for absolutely nothing and rounded out the roster.with a ton of rookies and has-beens, we could have afforded to keep Fultz.

If you want to build through the draft, then why even get Hayward? I can't recall any team that did it exclusively through the draft. I guess you can say GSW with Curry, Thompson, Green. Spurs have done a great job drafting over the last 20 years. Other than that? Most involve a combination of great drafting with shrewd trades and fortunate signings.

Ainge has made plenty of excellent trades. He's had some great signings. He hasn't NAILED a pick in awhile though. If he can pull in players of George's and Hayward's caliber, you do it. What are the odds these draft picks turn into all-star players? Decent chance perhaps, but why risk it and have to wait.

I'm sure Minny fans are thrilled to get a true star, even at the expense of Lavine and another prospect at #7.

Crowder is the obvious guy to deal if they want both George and Hayward. That puts them close. They will have an excess of forwards with the latter two added.The trick is to shed players so the net product is improved. Those elite teams have all done it.  You retain a core base, and fill in the roster with cheaper players. You win with the stars. That's the league.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 08:59:53 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This is unfair. Jackson is a terrific player. He's a great defender and a great passer. He's also very explosive and has a terrific BBall iq on both sides. Elite competitor too.

I prefer Tatum but it's close. Jackson should be a very nice player at the next level. An explosive Justice Winslow.
being a good passer and defender doesn't make him a great player. It makes jacksons ceiling Tony allen without a 3. That's late first round talent. Not lotto

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 09:12:58 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Assuming we dumped Bradley for absolutely nothing and rounded out the roster.with a ton of rookies and has-beens, we could have afforded to keep Fultz.
We could keep Bradley and dump Rozier. Still more than enough cap space for Hayward's max.

edit : We would be at $99,003,299

That's $3,299 short of Hayward's max. Anyway, my point is we could definitely keep Fultz and go after Hayward. Let's say we could trade Smart instead of Rozier. Problem solved.

If you want to build through the draft, then why even get Hayward?
Because (unlike Paul George) he would cost us next to nothing.

(couldn't care less about Kelly, Rozier)

I can't recall any team that did it exclusively through the draft. I guess you can say GSW with Curry, Thompson, Green. Spurs have done a great job drafting over the last 20 years. Other than that?
Warriors
Thunder (Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, Adams)

Not to mention, I never said we should do it exclusively through the draft. For instance, Hayward would be a free-agent signing.

What are the odds these draft picks turn into all-star players? Decent chance perhaps, but why risk it and have to wait.
Well, we had the #1 pick. Chances are that Fultz is gonna earn multiple all star selections.

I'm sure Minny fans are thrilled to get a true star, even at the expense of Lavine and another prospect at #7.
I 'm sure Minny fans will be thrilled if the Wolves make a deep play off run next year. With all due respect, we are not the Wolves. We have already won 17 championships. Deep playoff runs mean pretty much nothing to the C's.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:35:12 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 09:14:36 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
This is unfair. Jackson is a terrific player. He's a great defender and a great passer. He's also very explosive and has a terrific BBall iq on both sides. Elite competitor too.

I prefer Tatum but it's close. Jackson should be a very nice player at the next level. An explosive Justice Winslow.

Elite competitor who didn't want to work out for the Cs. If anything spells competitive, that's it.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 09:49:55 PM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 89
Jackson can't shoot.  Tatum is younger and was a rising player on the back half of the season. I am glad we picked him over Jackson.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 01:13:47 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Jackson can't shoot.  Tatum is younger and was a rising player on the back half of the season. I am glad we picked him over Jackson.

Someone else pointed this out too. Jackson was the second threat on Kansas where the point guard put up 20ppg, was player of the year, and drew most the attention.

Tatum was the main threat or dual main with Luke Kennard but they also didn't have a top pg setting them up all the time and drawing attention from them.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Someone else pointed this out too. Jackson was the second threat on Kansas where the point guard put up 20ppg, was player of the year, and drew most the attention.

Tatum was the main threat or dual main with Luke Kennard but they also didn't have a top pg setting them up all the time and drawing attention from them.
with IT, Bradley, and horford (and hopefully Hayward) spacing the floor, I'm say too pumped to see what Tatum can do

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I fully support Tatum now he is our guy but look at our draft grades and compare with Phoenix.   We got a C and B on some sites and they got a A.   I think it is too early to tell and we ought to have an Incomplete until we see what the other pick becomes.

Who cares about these grades?

Celtics got the player they wanted the most, and got another 1st round pick on top of that.  From our perspective that should be an A+.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 02:05:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jayson tatum wasnt feeling well but still worked out for the Celtics.... While Jackson .... Well who knows

https://www.google.ca/amp/nesn.com/2017/06/how-jayson-tatum-impressed-celtics-by-playing-through-sickness-at-workout/amp/