Author Topic: Adding Hayward + George Might Not Be Ideal For One Reason...  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Who do we have behind Horford and Zizic at the PF/C positions?

Now I get it, Brad Stevens, when asked what position Tatum would play, responded, "It doesn't matter", and I get that now basketball is becoming position-less in a sense.

And I also understand that FIRST, we have to actually sign Hayward or have a really good idea that we are getting him in FA.

But we can't ignore that we lose all of Amir/Zeller/Jerebko/Mickey/Olynyk. We also probably can't bring Yabusele to the team in order to preserve some cap space to make these moves as well. Fitting in Zizic will be a little tough but manageable.

You can probably add someone with a room exception, but that's about it. I'm guessing someone internally, like Jerebko, or Gerald Green could get it (or someone else, a "ring chaser big", comes to the team).

Hayward and PG13 can play some of the 4, and Hayward + Jaylen can play the 2 (Jaylen probably moves over there if we add PG13 and let go of Bradley+Crowder to make $$$ work).

But I fear our front court actually becomes really weak, and we are a Horford injury away from having virtually no bigs and a 48-minute team of smallball...  :o

Griffin + George may make more sense. We'll see what happens in the coming week.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Adding Hayward + George Might Not Be Ideal For One Reason...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:45:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've been on the Griffin/George bandwagon for quite some time. I believe that would make us a nasty team to have to deal with.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Griffin and George would be optimal, but you take what you can get. They can add a 4/5 player later.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 12:48:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I've been on the Griffin/George bandwagon for quite some time. I believe that would make us a nasty team to have to deal with.

Yep, but I think George also only comes here if we add Hayward.

He's expressed that he'd LOVE to play alongside Hayward. That could be a factor too.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
67/35/61 vs. 76/80/73

The amount of games Blake has played the last 3 seasons vs. Gordon. Let's also remember that Blake is just coming off another surgery to his lower body and we'd be signing him potentially into his 30's.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 12:50:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
67/35/61 vs. 76/80/73

The amount of games Blake has played the last 3 seasons vs. Gordon. Let's also remember that Blake is just coming off another surgery to his lower body and we'd be signing him potentially into his 30's.

Griffin is also NOT likely to be ready to play until December, due to his toe surgery haha.  :(

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 12:50:41 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm seeing PG play half his minutes at PF. Especially in the CBS system.

We'd need another low cost big to contribute at PF/C when we go big. And I'm sure we would get a vet big to see the potential of this team.

IT
AB
Horford
Hayward
George

I can live with that. lol

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 12:51:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
67/35/61 vs. 76/80/73

Yeah, this is the real worry. Talent-wise Blake is the better fit, but getting him on the court is tricky.

He's expressed that he'd LOVE to play alongside Hayward. That could be a factor too.
This definitely has to come into consideration. Players seem to be very concerned about this sort of thing. If Hayward can help us net George for the long term, he's definitely the guy to pursue.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Yasuble, semi, or even tstum could fill in a bit at pf, also jelly at the 5

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 01:03:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
67/35/61 vs. 76/80/73

Yeah, this is the real worry. Talent-wise Blake is the better fit, but getting him on the court is tricky.

This definitely has to come into consideration. Players seem to be very concerned about this sort of thing. If Hayward can help us net George for the long term, he's definitely the guy to pursue.

For Griffin, the issue is definitely the injury history, and attitude too (the trainer incident).

Plus his hops are no longer good because of them. Still a star player, but he needs to develop a better post game if he wants to be lethal.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
If Griffin didn't have health problems, it would be an easy choice for me.  Now, I'm not so sure.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 01:22:27 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
annnnnnnnnnnnndddddd...speak of the devil.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=91985.msg2343275#new

Blake Griffin Might Be Out Until Late November Or Early December
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 01:28:29 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
You cannot trust Griffin's health, and that's a more important point than playing with an undersized PF.

Regarding the OP, I think if George comes here with an extension in place, let's see what we are giving up for him. Because we'll have more pieces to add a big in exchange, although it will have to be a cheap one. And I assume Tatum will play here like Washington's Morris, a lot PF (more than we are expecting). He is a tweener with quite good size, so I don't see the problem in that.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
You cannot trust Griffin's health, and that's a more important point than playing with an undersized PF.

Regarding the OP, I think if George comes here with an extension in place, let's see what we are giving up for him. Because we'll have more pieces to add a big in exchange, although it will have to be a cheap one. And I assume Tatum will play here like Washington's Morris, a lot PF (more than we are expecting). He is a tweener with quite good size, so I don't see the problem in that.
though morris is 6' 10" and 245 pounds while tatum is 6' 8" 204 pounds. 
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 01:49:35 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

though morris is 6' 10" and 245 pounds while tatum is 6' 8" 204 pounds.

Of course, that's why I said "like Morris". TP for the explanation.