Author Topic: Weakly Sources Rumor: Celtics and PG close on 3 yr extension  (Read 14161 times)

Re: Celtics and PG close on 3 yr extension
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
One begets the other. The only question is who's first? FA starts when? July 1? We'll know soon.

This is the way you put a championship team together in today's NBA. You piggyback stars.

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2017, 04:05:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yeah, I'm not buying it. He is hoarding draft picks, and deals that would have helped this club have routinely been passed upon.

If the Garnett-Allen thing was going on now, Ainge wouldn't have the guts to make the deals.

Nope. He's waiting for a player that puts the team over the top. Jimmy is good, but what does he do for this team? A 4-2 loss to Cleveland in the ECF instead of 4-1? As I said in another thread, I'll be happy when a unicorn becomes available and Danny still has the assets to acquire him.

There's not singular player capable of doing that outside Lebron James and Kevin Durant. And neither of those guys are getting traded anytime. Fans need to let go of that mindset that's going to change the entire core of who we are. In the meantime, you can absolute acquire players that make you better than you were before you got them. Could that have been a Demarcus Cousins? Danny passed. Jimmy Butler? Danny passed again.

There's pieces out there but Danny has to actually get involved.

And just making deals to make deals because you have ADD is how franchises in all sports wind up in trouble.

Mike

I literally never said he should make deals just for the sake of it. Don't put words in my mouth to spin to your narrative.

In the past year alone, 2 All-Star / All-NBA caliber players have been traded and by all accounts, the Celtics weren't even in on the ground floor.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2017, 04:05:58 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I don't think Butler and PG are on the same level. PG was regarded as a top3 defender at his position  for many seasons and has been very consistent as a go-to scorer. Butler is a good defender that sometimes have 40-50pt games. I'd go all-in for PG, but not for Butler.

Oh, yeah, and there is the cap matter. Going for Butler meant NOT GOING for PG, as going for Cousins did.

I consider PG to be a boardline top10 player. He won't put the Cs over the top by himself. However, in case Danny intends to go after a top5 player (hi, Unibrow!) it would be great to sign him (w/ an extension) now. He could be later used in a trade for a better player.

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2017, 04:07:03 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
give up 2018 #1, Bradley, Crowder, and Smart for George and sign Hayward..I do that any day but George have to sign longer than a year
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2017, 04:08:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'll believe Ainge has the stones to trade his beloved "assets" for a proven star when I see it.

Not until.

Meanwhile, the hoarding continues.

Ainge has been wisely holding onto his assets for the right deal. Similar to the KG trade, where he unloaded every single one of his assets aside from a young Rajon Rondo.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. He is hoarding draft picks, and deals that would have helped this club have routinely been passed upon.

If the Garnett-Allen thing was going on now, Ainge wouldn't have the guts to make the deals.
care to share specifics that you have the inside knowledge on?  unless you're sitting in the room with him, you don't know what deals he's been involved with nor what other teams are trying to get out of him.

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I don't think Butler and PG are on the same level. PG was regarded as a top3 defender at his position  for many seasons and has been very consistent as a go-to scorer. Butler is a good defender that sometimes have 40-50pt games. I'd go all-in for PG, but not for Butler.

Oh, yeah, and there is the cap matter. Going for Butler meant NOT GOING for PG, as going for Cousins did.

I consider PG to be a boardline top10 player. He won't put the Cs over the top by himself. However, in case Danny intends to go after a top5 player (hi, Unibrow!) it would be great to sign him (w/ an extension) now. He could be later used in a trade for a better player.

Jimmy Butler's a 3x All-Star and 3x All-Defensive selection. He's averaged 20+ points for the past 3 plus seasons.

Which player's which? Link (http://imgur.com/Km7oimz) for anyone who can't see the stats.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2017, 04:22:07 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Bradley needs to go period ,  he is gonna want a HUge paycheck and he is just not worth it.   Spend the money on a REAL star. 

I don't mind letting Crowder go , even though he is a good guy and contract ,  Brown and Tatum are the future .

Just dump Jackson , Young and Amir, Zeller all ready .

PG needs to realize ......the ONlY way Magic Johnson puts together a team to beat GS is if he gets LeBron .   And Lebron an't coming to LA without George .

Davis is the wild card .....where ever he goes with a good team could trump GS in a couple years.

Tp
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2017, 04:25:53 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Jimmy Butler's a 3x All-Star and 3x All-Defensive selection. He's averaged 20+ points for the past 3 plus seasons.

Which player's which? Link (http://imgur.com/Km7oimz) for anyone who can't see the stats.

George is a better player. He's a better go to scorer, and has about 5 inches on Butler, which makes him much more versatile.

He is also a much better off the ball player with Hayward, IT and Horford able to handle/run the offense through.

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Butler is off the table so.....

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

George is a better player. Much better go to scorer, and has about 5 inches on Butler, which makes him much more versatile.

He is also a much better off the ball player with Hayward, IT and Horford able to handle/run the offense through.

Again, based on what? Name recognition? Jimmy Butler was considered the 7th best scorer in the clutch last season. Paul was 12th.

You like one guy better, that's fine. But this narrative that Paul is a much superior player than Butler just isn't true.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2017, 04:35:13 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

George is a better player. He's a better go to scorer, and has about 5 inches on Butler, which makes him much more versatile.

At the NBA combine, PG measured 1.75 inches taller than Butler.

5 inches?

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Paul George will be a Laker Period. We just need to stay the course. AD is the one we want. Holiday not signing with the pelicans will be what we want.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2017, 04:44:18 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
My major concern with this is how does PG see himself within the organization. He isn't even here and he's making roster demands. We have a pretty stron culture here, but if you trade Crowder, Smart, Bradley, et al and then bring him in on those terms I fear a diva mentality.

Loyalty can't be bought or cobbled together, so I don't particularly like this hired gun feel I get from PG

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

5 inches?

Sorry, my bad, I always thought Butler was 6'5

However, george is much longer

Butler standing reach was 8'5 1/2
Butler wing span was.         6'7 1/2

George standing reach.       8'11
George wing span.                6'11 1/4

I should have said George is much longer ,which makes him much more versatile.     

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2017, 04:51:20 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

5 inches?

Paul kept growing.. Jimmy didnt
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/210814-pacers-paul-george-grows-two-inches-since-last-season
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens