Author Topic: Weakly Sources Rumor: Celtics and PG close on 3 yr extension  (Read 14160 times)

Re: Celtics and PG close on 3 yr extension
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I'll believe Ainge has the stones to trade his beloved "assets" for a proven star when I see it.

Not until.

Meanwhile, the hoarding continues.

Ainge has been wisely holding onto his assets for the right deal. Similar to the KG trade, where he unloaded every single one of his assets aside from a young Rajon Rondo.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. He is hoarding draft picks, and deals that would have helped this club have routinely been passed upon.

If the Garnett-Allen thing was going on now, Ainge wouldn't have the guts to make the deals.

Nope. He's waiting for a player that puts the team over the top. Jimmy is good, but what does he do for this team? A 4-2 loss to Cleveland in the ECF instead of 4-1? As I said in another thread, I'll be happy when a unicorn becomes available and Danny still has the assets to acquire him.

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 03:12:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Danny made the KG and Allen deals. He traded Perk, he traded KG and Pierce, just last week he traded the #1 pick.

Danny is not afraid of taking risks.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 03:15:39 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Crowder seems to have a lot of value, as he produces WAAAAAAAY more than he is paid for. However, how useful would the relation between his contract and playing level be for a rebuilding Indiana team? None. Crowder is as valuable for Indiana as is the quality/quantity of picks he could be traded for.

Smart is a very good player who doesn't fill the statsheet. He has one year remaining in his rookie deal. Marcus would only be a useful player for Indiana if they decide to pay Smart when he becomes a FA? Will they do it? Why wouldn't they wait simply to sign him later and not now? Another player whose value for Indiana would only be for his trade value.

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2017, 03:17:36 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Bradley needs to go period ,  he is gonna want a HUge paycheck and he is just not worth it.   Spend the money on a REAL star. 

I don't mind letting Crowder go , even though he is a good guy and contract ,  Brown and Tatum are the future .

Just dump Jackson , Young and Amir, Zeller all ready .

PG needs to realize ......the ONlY way Magic Johnson puts together a team to beat GS is if he gets LeBron .   And Lebron an't coming to LA without George .

Davis is the wild card .....where ever he goes with a good team could trump GS in a couple years.

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Nope. He's waiting for a player that puts the team over the top. Jimmy is good, but what does he do for this team? A 4-2 loss to Cleveland in the ECF instead of 4-1? As I said in another thread, I'll be happy when a unicorn becomes available and Danny still has the assets to acquire him.

I'm honestly getting tired of hearing the narrative of "if you add these amazing players to the celtics they still get swept by the Cavs."

It's just not true. We got beat without our All NBA player, and you want to add another All NBA Player and think it won't make a difference? It's a joke how overrated LeBron and the Cavs are. A player like Butler who can 1v1 guard LeBron is a gamechanger against their setup of LeBron + 10 guys who can shoot 3s. I think we should have gotten him for 3+Crowder+Filler and we make it to the finals this year.

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I'll believe Ainge has the stones to trade his beloved "assets" for a proven star when I see it.

Not until.

Ainge has been wisely holding onto his assets for the right deal. Similar to the KG trade, where he unloaded every single one of his assets aside from a young Rajon Rondo.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. He is hoarding draft picks, and deals that would have helped this club have routinely been passed upon.

If the Garnett-Allen thing was going on now, Ainge wouldn't have the guts to make the deals.
Based on what?

Kevin Garnett was arguably the best player in the league at the time. You can't sit there and compare guys like Butler and PG to Garnett.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Saying he "wouldn't have the guts" to make the deals now when you literally just said he did it for KG and Allen is silly.

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Not until.

Based on what?

Kevin Garnett was arguably the best player in the league at the time. You can't sit there and compare guys like Butler and PG to Garnett.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Saying he "wouldn't have the guts" to make the deals now when you literally just said he did it for KG and Allen is silly.
So is saying he doesn't have the guts because he doesn't make a bad trade.

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think if PG is hedging going to the Lakers, he may realize that the West will be tough even with LeBron. Butler just went West, Spurs, Utah, Clippers, Memphis...it's not going to be easy for the Lakers to get to the Finals.

In the East with LeBron and Butler gone, the Celtics should be going to 3-4 Finals over the life of his contract and they are ready to win now.

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2017, 03:40:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Not until.

Hey ref, you suck.

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Give up Nets 2018 #1, AB, Crowder and Brown.

We will keeping Brown if we trade AB, then Brown is our SG folks.   No way we trade them both until we have Hayward in hand.  I doubt it even then.

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2017, 03:41:18 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Not until.

Based on what?

Now you're just making stuff up to defend your beloved.

Kobe Bryant says "hold my beer" on your ridiculous Garnett claims.

Ainge has failed - in total - to provide this club with shooters and rebounders for in excess of a year, and last season that failure negatively impacted a significant playoff run.

I have this vision of his house = nothing but thin pathways throughout, piled high to the ceiling with stuff he can't bear to part with.

He's not going to make a deal for Paul George. He doesn't have the stones to part with any of his "assets."
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2017, 03:45:40 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I'm honestly getting tired of hearing the narrative of "if you add these amazing players to the celtics they still get swept by the Cavs."

It's just not true. We got beat without our All NBA player, and you want to add another All NBA Player and think it won't make a difference? It's a joke how overrated LeBron and the Cavs are. A player like Butler who can 1v1 guard LeBron is a gamechanger against their setup of LeBron + 10 guys who can shoot 3s. I think we should have gotten him for 3+Crowder+Filler and we make it to the finals this year.

Uh...did you notice who the Celtics played in the first round this year?  Did you notice who was the best player on that team?

Mike

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2017, 03:56:14 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Not until.

There's not singular player capable of doing that outside Lebron James and Kevin Durant. And neither of those guys are getting traded anytime. Fans need to let go of that mindset that's going to change the entire core of who we are. In the meantime, you can absolute acquire players that make you better than you were before you got them. Could that have been a Demarcus Cousins? Danny passed. Jimmy Butler? Danny passed again.

There's pieces out there but Danny has to actually get involved.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2017, 03:57:34 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Not until.

Based on what?

Now you're just making stuff up to defend your beloved.

Kobe Bryant says "hold my beer" on your ridiculous Garnett claims.

Ainge has failed - in total - to provide this club with shooters and rebounders for in excess of a year, and last season that failure negatively impacted a significant playoff run.

I have this vision of his house = nothing but thin pathways throughout, piled high to the ceiling with stuff he can't bear to part with.

He's not going to make a deal for Paul George. He doesn't have the stones to part with any of his "assets."

Okay, we trade for Jimmy Butler.  Now what?  We've added him and lost at least Crowder and Tatum. Are we suddenly so much better that a 4-1 series loss to Cleveland turns into a win next year?  And since Butler makes more than Crowder and the #3 pick combined, you've just made it that much harder to make any other additions to the roster without sacrificing key players.

Now, if Ainge fails to add anyone in free agency, it'll be fair to criticize that.  But even in that case, Ainge is putting a playoff caliber team on the court while adding multiple high lottery picks for four or five years down the road when LeBron is old and the Warriors are aging.

Mike

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2017, 03:58:59 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Not until.

There's not singular player capable of doing that outside Lebron James and Kevin Durant. And neither of those guys are getting traded anytime. Fans need to let go of that mindset that's going to change the entire core of who we are. In the meantime, you can absolute acquire players that make you better than you were before you got them. Could that have been a Demarcus Cousins? Danny passed. Jimmy Butler? Danny passed again.

There's pieces out there but Danny has to actually get involved.

And just making deals to make deals because you have ADD is how franchises in all sports wind up in trouble.

Mike