Author Topic: Weakly Sources Rumor: Celtics and PG close on 3 yr extension  (Read 14092 times)

Re: Celtics and PG close on 3 yr extension
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 02:08:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It's suppose to be dependent upon signing Hayward.

Give up Nets 2018 #1, AB, Crowder and Brown.

Keeping Tatum and signing Hayward.

Do it now Danny!!

Brown and the Nets #2018 1st pick.

Wow..

Unbelievable what some people will give up for a one year rental.
did you miss the premise of this thread?  The premise (no matter how flawed), has George signing a 3 year extension, so Boston would have him for 4 years.

Yes I can read, thank you very much, but I appreciate the concern, Moranis.

Still wouldn't do it, misleading thread title by OP, as its just a baseless rumor, and the fact of the matter is the Pacers have absolutely no leverage whatsoever to assume their going to get two top 7 picks for someone who apparently stated that he wants out.

In what world is PG worth not only a top 3 pick with promising upside, but a pick that could end up top 3 once again? By the way, reports surface Ainge isn't trading Brown away.
Paul George with 4 years left on his contract has that type of value.

But this is not Indiana's premise. Their George's value is one year left, no matter wherever he signs afterwards.
Not if he is traded and immediately signs an extension, which Indiana would know about. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
All of this rumbling ...and watch Blake Griffin is the one who signs with the team

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
All of this rumbling ...and watch Blake Griffin is the one who signs with the team

Great, a present who will be ready just in time for Christmas...

Mike

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Absolutely no way we should give them BRK 18 or Brown. LAL pick is the most they should get, and that's only if any sort of extension is possible. Chicago traded a comparable player with 2 years left on his deal for far less than what's proposed above.

In any event, it appears the whole thing is false. Ray Coon's salary cap faq says you can't "extend and  trade" a player in the last year of his deal, and that any raise in the extension he gets is capped at 4.5%. Obviously, no way PG would do that, which means the whole thing is nonsense.

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'll believe Ainge has the stones to trade his beloved "assets" for a proven star when I see it.

Not until.

Meanwhile, the hoarding continues.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Bradley/Crowder/Rozier/LA18/Memphis

Good deal for Indiana.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 02:23:19 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I'll believe Ainge has the stones to trade his beloved "assets" for a proven star when I see it.

Not until.

Ainge has been wisely holding onto his assets for the right deal. Similar to the KG trade, where he unloaded every single one of his assets aside from a young Rajon Rondo.

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
why in the world would we need to give Indiana so much for a guy who is leaving no matter what? It's not like they have him for 4 more years, they'd be happy with (and lucky to get) half that haul.

Let's get real people.

Right now it's more about if PG will sign an extension. If he does, you have to trim salary and\or a player. You can't keep everyone. PG isn't even 30 years old. If you get him for 3 years, then you have a chance to resign him or move him again. Our roster is young and getting a known verses unknowns is a easy decision.It's about collecting people so you have their Bird Rights and now you have protection.

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 02:31:45 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Absolutely no way we should give them BRK 18 or Brown. LAL pick is the most they should get, and that's only if any sort of extension is possible. Chicago traded a comparable player with 2 years left on his deal for far less than what's proposed above.

In any event, it appears the whole thing is false. Ray Coon's salary cap faq says you can't "extend and  trade" a player in the last year of his deal, and that any raise in the extension he gets is capped at 4.5%. Obviously, no way PG would do that, which means the whole thing is nonsense.

...but you can Trade and then Extend. LOL I mean seriously, this goes on all the time.

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Zeller, Bradley, Crowder, LAL/SAC pick is the most you give up for Paul George, which imo is more than enough.

Horford / Zizic
George / Yabusele
Hayward / Tatum
Brown / Smart
Thomas / Rozier

Admitting that this is a tenuous at best rumor, it didn't stop me from getting excited about the possibility.  I did some checking on 82 games because it is not clear to me just how much each of Hayward and George play at the 2-3-4.

Hayward was almost exactly 50-50 between SG and SF in terms of minutes and the performance of the 5 man units seemed to make no difference where he played.  Individually, Hayward had a higher PER and better Net+/- at SG.

With George, he played far more minutes at SF over PF but the Net +/- (per 48) was better at PF (although it is amplified by sample size).  His individual PER was close but slightly better at SF plus he actually got more rebounds per48 at SF.

My conclusion from this is that I don't believe George would come here on a discount to play PF.  I think he will play SF and that Hayward would play SG.  I see the rotation as:

Thomas       Smart      Jackson
Hayward     Brown      Green (or some other)
George       Tatum       Somebody
Olynyk        Zizic         Yabusele
Horford      Mickey      Zeller?

This hypothetical breakdown makes Avery, Crowder, and Rozier "expendable", throw in some picks (maybe Lakers/Sac pick) and I think that could be the deal for Paul George.  We are still weak at PF/C but this is a pretty good team for today and keeps much of the key parts of the future.  Another soft spot would be expecting Tatum to jump right in but I think Hayward/Brown/George could cover all of the SG/SF minutes just fine if Tatum needs time.  If Zizic exceeds expectation and plays a solid PF, then we have a really good team.

Of course there are still the huge "ifs" being we sign Hayward and George settles for the extension.  I agree with others who have their doubts about this but it is still fun to play around with the possibility.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:42:24 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

...but you can Trade and then Extend. LOL I mean seriously, this goes on all the time.
It does?

The CBA 101 on the NBA website says that "if a team acquires a player in a trade, then for a period of 6 months following the date of the trade, the team is prohibited from signing the player to a contract extension for a longer period, higher amount or higher annual increases than would have been permitted for an extension and trade" (4.5% raise).

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2017, 02:48:04 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Zeller, Bradley, Crowder, LAL/SAC pick is the most you give up for Paul George, which imo is more than enough.

Horford / Zizic
George / Yabusele
Hayward / Tatum
Brown / Smart
Thomas / Rozier

Admitting that this is a tenuous at best rumor, it didn't stop me from getting excited about the possibility.  I did some checking on 82 games because it is not clear to me just how much each of Hayward and George play at the 2-3-4.

Hayward was almost exactly 50-50 between SG and SF in terms of minutes and the performance of the 5 man units seemed to make no difference where he played.  Individually, Hayward had a higher PER and better Net+/- at SG.

With George, he played far more minutes at SF over PF but the Net +/- (per 48) was better at PF (although it is amplified by sample size).  His individual PER was close but slightly better at SF plus he actually got more rebounds per48 at SF.

My conclusion from this is that I don't believe George would come here on a discount to play PF.  I think he will play SF and that Hayward would play SG.  I see the rotation as:

Thomas       Smart      Jackson
Hayward     Brown      Green (or some other)
George       Tatum       Somebody
Olynyk        Zizic         Yabusele
Horford      Mickey      Zeller?

This hypothetical breakdown makes Avery, Crowder, and Rozier "expendable", throw in some picks (maybe Lakers/Sac pick) and I think that could be the deal for Paul George.  We are still weak at PF/C but this is a pretty good team for today and keeps much of the key parts of the future.  Another soft spot would be expecting Tatum to jump right in but I think Hayward/Brown/George could cover all of the SG/SF minutes just fine if Tatum needs time.  If Zizic exceeds expectation and plays a solid PF, then we have a really good team.

Of course there are still the huge "ifs" being we sign Hayward and George settles for the extension.  I agree with others who have their doubts about this but it is still fun to play around with the possibility.

You can't have Olynyk and Al both in lineup. Zizic at 5, Horford at 4. KellyFamilly only from bench.

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2017, 02:54:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Do it now Danny!!

Wow..

did you miss the premise of this thread?  The premise (no matter how flawed), has George signing a 3 year extension, so Boston would have him for 4 years.
The extension is irrelevant.  Indy has no leverage.  they either trade him for what they can get or lose him for nothing after next season.  if he signs an extension with us has no impact to what would be a reasonable payment to Indy.

If we can get Hayward, I'd do AB, Crowder, and 2 of C's 2018, Clips pick, Memphis pick.  no 'prize' picks nor Brown.

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2017, 02:57:03 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Not until.

Ainge has been wisely holding onto his assets for the right deal. Similar to the KG trade, where he unloaded every single one of his assets aside from a young Rajon Rondo.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. He is hoarding draft picks, and deals that would have helped this club have routinely been passed upon.

If the Garnett-Allen thing was going on now, Ainge wouldn't have the guts to make the deals.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Do it now Danny!!

Wow..

The extension is irrelevant.  Indy has no leverage.  they either trade him for what they can get or lose him for nothing after next season.  if he signs an extension with us has no impact to what would be a reasonable payment to Indy.

If we can get Hayward, I'd do AB, Crowder, and 2 of C's 2018, Clips pick, Memphis pick.  no 'prize' picks nor Brown.
Of course they do, they can just trade George somewhere else, especially if George is willing to sign an extension with that new club.  Opens up a lot more teams and a lot more value for Indy. 

Frankly, at the end of the day I think George's camp leaked this story to get the Lakers to make a real offer for George so he ends up in LA.  The thinking being that if the Lakers believed George would sign an extension somewhere, then the Lakers really wouldn't have a shot at him next summer, so they better do something now. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip