Author Topic: I'm On Board With Tatum  (Read 4559 times)

Re: I'm On Board With Tatum
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
How in the world did Danny ever resist drafting Dennis Smith I never know .....he must have lost his mind.
I know I'm in the minority, but after Fultz, I thought Smith had the greatest star potential in the draft.

I'm really surprised the Knicks didn't pick Dennis Smith Jr. He would have been a great fit for them.

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I think Tatum will eventually change our entire offensive approach. I think we've been a ball movement team out of necessity. Tatum is our first shot creating wing during Brad's entire tenure here.

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How in the world did Danny ever resist drafting Dennis Smith I never know .....he must have lost his mind.
I know I'm in the minority, but after Fultz, I thought Smith had the greatest star potential in the draft.

I'm really surprised the Knicks didn't pick Dennis Smith Jr. He would have been a great fit for them.
As am I. I had them picking him all the way. Although I do like Ntilikina as a prospect
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Meh.

Kid's young, shouldered much much more of an offensive load for his team than he will for the Celtics, and will be on a short leash when he does something boneheaded like all Brad's young players are. I believe in our player development.

FWIW, I'm on board with everything Brad Stevens signs off on.

I am not wholly convinced on the team's player development.

Smart has not been developed well. Neither was Sully. Rozier has been very slow to progress. Olynyk has made minimal progress.

On the other hand, Avery Bradley has continued to develop throughout his stay and has made big improvements during his career. Very good job with him.

Early signs with Jaylen Brown have been positive.

.... I think CBS still has a fair bit to prove in terms of developing young talent. If I was more convinced by our player development, I'd be higher on Tatum.

Sully was actually a solid player. Maybe too solid..... if you know what I mean.

Olynyk won us a Game 7 in the semis. He's a rotation big on an ECF team. He's a plus-role player who can hit threes, put it on the floor and get a few rebounds. Probably about how he projected.

Smart has made minimal progress as a shooter. As a point guard, passer, defender and rebounder - and overall winner - he's been just fine. Rozier showed up in the playoffs, but yes, jury is still out on him.

Jaylen made progress throughout the season. I like Brad Stevens' method with young players. I do think he knows how to get the most out of his guys and I think they all benefit from being in a winning situation.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 01:04:54 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
I believe Ainge knew the Sixers wanted Fultz and Lakers wanted Ball so why take Tatum at #1 when he can get him at #3 and get another pick. He was only working out Jackson to flip with the Suns and get another pick and take Tatum at #4.

right
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 01:28:36 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Meh.

Kid's young, shouldered much much more of an offensive load for his team than he will for the Celtics, and will be on a short leash when he does something boneheaded like all Brad's young players are. I believe in our player development.

Smart has not been developed well. Neither was Sully. Rozier has been very slow to progress. Olynyk has made minimal progress.

On the other hand, Avery Bradley has continued to develop throughout his stay and has made big improvements during his career. Very good job with him.

.... I think CBS still has a fair bit to prove in terms of developing young talent. If I was more convinced by our player development, I'd be higher on Tatum.

Sully was actually a solid player. Maybe too solid..... if you know what I mean.

Olynyk won us a Game 7 in the semis. He's a rotation big on an ECF team. He's a plus-role player who can hit threes, put it on the floor and get a few rebounds. Probably about how he projected.

Smart has made minimal progress as a shooter. As a point guard, passer, defender and rebounder - and overall winner - he's been just fine. Rozier showed up in the playoffs, but yes, jury is still out on him.

Jaylen made progress throughout the season. I like Brad Stevens' method with young players. I do think he knows how to get the most out of his guys and I think they all benefit from being in a winning situation.

Sully is the most frustrating player the Celts have had.  I really believe he would be close to all star level if he was physically fit.

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 01:49:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Meh.

The problem with Brad is that he develops players to fit his system vs the other way around....

It is definitely the Spurs ways of doing things

This is why I thought Jackson would be a better fit.

But maybe this time Brad will give more freedom to Brown and Tatum to play their games while also adapting to his system

If Tatum can play 15-17 min and provide 8-10 points off the bench. I would be ecstatic

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think Jackson should have been the #1 overall pick in the draft.  I would have picked him at #3 and started starting him around January (if all was humming along fine).  SF of the future for Celtics.  PF in small ball lineups when he's gained some weight and muscle.  I would then make whatever changes necessary to have 3 excellent shooters on the floor next to him as starters, to balance his less than ideal outside shot and to be targets of his excellent passing. 

I think he'll be an alpha dog leader of whatever team he ends up on, and in that sense, he's less ideal for a Celtics team that wants to to keep improving without making major changes.  The leader is Brad Stevens and the current Celtics team plays in that mold.  In that sense Tatum is a good fit, along with his shooting.  IMO Tatum will really have to become a very good 3 point shooter in order to make us forget about Jackson (and Fultz). I realize he's a great iso scorer but in the Celts system he's really got to hit a lot from 3 (opposite of how I feel about Jackson, who will be more of a 6'8 Rondo-Smart Hybrid with great leadership, passing, finishing and defense).  To re-state, Tatum can still be good to great without a great 3 pointer, but to surpass Jackson/Fultz I think he'll need to hit a lot of 3's.

Jackson praised aside, Jayson Tatum is an easy guy to root for. Looks like an awesome guy all around.  Will be brought along as fast or slow as necessary.  Will play within the what the Celtics do in their system while adding another source of offense via iso at the end of games.  Look forward to seeing him develop and eventually become an all-star in a few years. 

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Meh.

Sully is the most frustrating player the Celts have had. I really believe he would be close to all star level if he was physically fit.
Sorry but I give that award to Kelly Olynyk.  Great plays (either a nifty pass or a timely 3) followed by a really bad turnover or other boneheaded move.  My doctor told me the Celtics have to get rid of him for my health.

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2017, 04:02:20 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Is Tatum any different than a 6'8 Markelle Fultz?

I'll give Fultz as a better passer, but I'll take the height advantage.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Offense/defense montage - Jayson Tatum

https://youtu.be/X6bR_PcAmQw

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I watched Tatum make 17 straight NBA threes in a practice video.
Tatum is a year younger than Jackson.
Tatum wants to be a Celtic.
Jackson shoots 56% at the free throw line.
We need shooters.

And Tatum is a pure iso scorer.  I think Paul George is his ceiling.