Author Topic: I'm On Board With Tatum  (Read 4539 times)

Re: I'm On Board With Tatum
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

but will he ever be better than Jimmy Butler?

not in a million years...

You exaggerate how good Jimmy Butler is. Tatum certainly had the chance to be better. He's bigger and more athletic.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
First, Tatum apparently wanted to play for the Celtics. Jackson obviously didn't.
Second, Celts need scoring, already have a bunch of great d, high energy, can't shoot guys.
Third, maybe it doesn't matter that much, but Tatum just seems to be a better person. Know I shouldn't make judgments, but listening to him, he seems like a genuinely nice kid. Jackson has had his issues. Not branding him for life, but at this point in their lives.
All in all, I'm good with the pick. I think he'll fill a need.   
To be more accurate, Tatum wins on character.  This is the term Ainge uses.

I know you didn't mean it, but never judge how "good" a person is, unless you are really, really close to them.  I don't think Jackson is a bad guy, just questionable decision-maker.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
First, Tatum apparently wanted to play for the Celtics. Jackson obviously didn't.
Second, Celts need scoring, already have a bunch of great d, high energy, can't shoot guys.
Third, maybe it doesn't matter that much, but Tatum just seems to be a better person. Know I shouldn't make judgments, but listening to him, he seems like a genuinely nice kid. Jackson has had his issues. Not branding him for life, but at this point in their lives.

I know you didn't mean it, but never judge how "good" a person is, unless you are really, really close to them.  I don't think Jackson is a bad guy, just questionable decision-maker.

I really wasn't trying to judge how "good" he is. I don't know either one. You're right "character" is a better word. Tatum just seems more humble. I was moved by his relationship with his mother. He's soft spoken.
As for Jackson, if you believe Danny, he pretty much lied about having conversations with members for the Celtics staff. Lied about not having time to set up work out. Actually cancelled the one he had while they sere flying out to see him. I find his Character questionable. 

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

You exaggerate how good Jimmy Butler is. Tatum certainly had the chance to be better. He's bigger and more athletic.

Wake me up when he plays defense, loses his tunnel vision, and doesn't settle for long twos just to get a shot off when he faces a good defender.

Useless without the ball in his hands, not good enough to be a #1 option. Might work out if he had gone to a terrible team which just gives him the ball and let him do his thing, won't work on this Celtics team.

The worst part is, he will have a few glimpses here and there, and people will flood this forum saying "See, the future is bright". Perfect trap pick.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I watched Tatum make 17 straight NBA threes in a practice video.
Tatum is a year younger than Jackson.
Tatum wants to be a Celtic.
Jackson shoots 56% at the free throw line.
We need shooters.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/05/24/jayson-tatum-17-straight-threes/

Found the video. It looks like a looped gif. His form is so consistent!
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 12:05:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
How in the world did Danny ever resist drafting Dennis Smith I never know .....he must have lost his mind.

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 12:07:48 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
How in the world did Danny ever resist drafting Dennis Smith I never know .....he must have lost his mind.
I know I'm in the minority, but after Fultz, I thought Smith had the greatest star potential in the draft.

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 12:16:45 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
God, Dennis Smith would have been further proof that Danny isn't a GM; he's a hoarder.

As for Tatum, I find myself in the odd position of actually agreeing with Ainge and his nepotistic scouting department. I like Tatum better than Fultz, much better than Ball and his helicopter father and a lot more than the character issues of Jackson.

This team needs shot-makers. Tatum fills that bill.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 12:16:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Wake me up when he plays defense, loses his tunnel vision, and doesn't settle for long twos just to get a shot off when he faces a good defender.

Useless without the ball in his hands, not good enough to be a #1 option. Might work out if he had gone to a terrible team which just gives him the ball and let him do his thing, won't work on this Celtics team.

The worst part is, he will have a few glimpses here and there, and people will flood this forum saying "See, the future is bright". Perfect trap pick.

I loved Tatum when I first saw him play. So much talent. So skilled and versatile. A scorer like Jabari Parker but unlike Jabari, Tatum was actually (physically & athletically) capable of defending his position (SF).

The more I saw of him. The less interested I became. Like Casperian above, I got fed up with parts of Tatum's game. His offensive game in particular. Settling for shots. Over-use and reliance on isolation game. Or else contested long jump-shots. Despite having a capable handle and passing ability, rarely made much effort to involve his teammates. Regularly made bad decisions on offense.

The defense I was less concerned by. Most 18-19 year olds don't play much defense. I saw enough flashes there that if the effort is made, the defense will be alright (middle of the pack alright). The offense is more by area of concern ... because Tatum is so talented but routinely makes bad decisions. Looks like your typical isolation-only scorer. The type of guy who doesn't do much for his teammates and is only after his numbers. Like Rudy Gay or Melo (late in his career).

I thought Tatum should have improved his team more. That he failed to do so and did not impact winning enough. His mentality - his effort, focus - was poor in all areas of the game (offense, defense, rebounding). Too inconsistent. A guy who could be a major difference maker but coasts for 30-40% of the game instead.

So yeah, I am not overjoyed at Tatum's selection either.

My one hope that I am holding onto is whether the right coach can get through to Tatum and get him to improve his mental approach to the game and make better team-orientated decisions on offense. If some coach can do that, then yes, I think Tatum can be an excellent pro. Without that though, I think Tatum will flatter to deceive (good numbers, doesn't impact winning). Big test for Brad Stevens. Whether CBS can really develop Tatum and help Tatum fulfill his potential because I don't think Tatum gets there without a big influence from someone.

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I really wasn't trying to judge how "good" he is. I don't know either one. You're right "character" is a better word. Tatum just seems more humble. I was moved by his relationship with his mother. He's soft spoken.
As for Jackson, if you believe Danny, he pretty much lied about having conversations with members for the Celtics staff. Lied about not having time to set up work out. Actually cancelled the one he had while they sere flying out to see him. I find his Character questionable.
TP, I noticed that too.  She is also well-spoken so you can see where he got it from.  I hope she becomes a fixture at home games.  All moms are great, but she seems special.

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 12:29:31 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Meh.

Kid's young, shouldered much much more of an offensive load for his team than he will for the Celtics, and will be on a short leash when he does something boneheaded like all Brad's young players are. I believe in our player development.

FWIW, I'm on board with everything Brad Stevens signs off on.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
God, Dennis Smith would have been further proof that Danny isn't a GM; he's a hoarder.

As for Tatum, I find myself in the odd position of actually agreeing with Ainge and his nepotistic scouting department. I like Tatum better than Fultz, much better than Ball and his helicopter father and a lot more than the character issues of Jackson.

This team needs shot-makers. Tatum fills that bill.

TP for agreeing with Ainge. Took a lot of Lonzo's!!

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Meh.

Kid's young, shouldered much much more of an offensive load for his team than he will for the Celtics, and will be on a short leash when he does something boneheaded like all Brad's young players are. I believe in our player development.

FWIW, I'm on board with everything Brad Stevens signs off on.

I am not wholly convinced on the team's player development.

Smart has not been developed well. Neither was Sully. Rozier has been very slow to progress. Olynyk has made minimal progress.

On the other hand, Avery Bradley has continued to develop throughout his stay and has made big improvements during his career. Very good job with him.

Early signs with Jaylen Brown have been positive.

.... I think CBS still has a fair bit to prove in terms of developing young talent. If I was more convinced by our player development, I'd be higher on Tatum.

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 12:46:44 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I loved Tatum when I first saw him play. So much talent. So skilled and versatile. A scorer like Jabari Parker but unlike Jabari, Tatum was actually (physically & athletically) capable of defending his position (SF).

The more I saw of him. The less interested I became. Like Casperian above, I got fed up with parts of Tatum's game. His offensive game in particular. Settling for shots. Over-use and reliance on isolation game. Or else contested long jump-shots. Despite having a capable handle and passing ability, rarely made much effort to involve his teammates. Regularly made bad decisions on offense.

The defense I was less concerned by. Most 18-19 year olds don't play much defense. I saw enough flashes there that if the effort is made, the defense will be alright (middle of the pack alright). The offense is more by area of concern ... because Tatum is so talented but routinely makes bad decisions. Looks like your typical isolation-only scorer. The type of guy who doesn't do much for his teammates and is only after his numbers. Like Rudy Gay or Melo (late in his career).

I thought Tatum should have improved his team more. That he failed to do so and did not impact winning enough. His mentality - his effort, focus - was poor in all areas of the game (offense, defense, rebounding). Too inconsistent. A guy who could be a major difference maker but coasts for 30-40% of the game instead.

So yeah, I am not overjoyed at Tatum's selection either.

My one hope that I am holding onto is whether the right coach can get through to Tatum and get him to improve his mental approach to the game and make better team-orientated decisions on offense. If some coach can do that, then yes, I think Tatum can be an excellent pro. Without that though, I think Tatum will flatter to deceive (good numbers, doesn't impact winning). Big test for Brad Stevens. Whether CBS can really develop Tatum and help Tatum fulfill his potential because I don't think Tatum gets there without a big influence from someone.

You liking him less makes me happier about the pick. Enjoy salt everyone.  ;)

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 12:47:16 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
This is the guy that Brad wanted.. That's good enough for me..