Author Topic: Ainge Got His Undersized PF  (Read 5858 times)

Ainge Got His Undersized PF
« on: June 23, 2017, 10:05:33 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It just wouldn't be the NBA draft if Danny Ainge didn't select a power forward who is a little too small for the position.

In the proud tradition of Brandon Hunter, Leon Powe, Big Baby Davis, Ryan Gomes, Luke Harangody, Guerschon Yabusele, and probably more that I'm forgetting, welcome to the Celtics Semi Ojeleye.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:14:05 AM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Ainge Got His Undersized PF
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:40:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Pretty funny. That list is hard to look at

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 10:43:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Leon Power help the Celtics win the championship. Also Semi can guard multiple positions... Good pick!

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 10:48:12 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Ryan Gomes, Big Baby and Leon Powe were pretty solid for the spot they were picked. Sully is too when he's in-shape.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 10:54:29 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
It just wouldn't be the NBA draft is Danny Ainge didn't select a power forward who is a little too small for the position.

In the proud tradition of Brandon Hunter, Leon Powe, Big Baby Davis, Ryan Gomes, Luke Harangody, Guerschon Yabusele, and probably more that I'm forgetting, welcome to the Celtics Semi Ojeleye.

I thought that they were pretty good second round draft picks.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 11:14:23 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It just wouldn't be the NBA draft is Danny Ainge didn't select a power forward who is a little too small for the position.

But in another current thread somebody says that Ainge is obsessed with slow unathletic bigs, and the consensus around here is that he likes athletic guards who can defend but not shoot.  Seems to me that he likes all kinds of players and drafts who he thinks can be the best player.  Most of those guys that you listed were great second round picks.  Maybe you prefer Orien Green, Gabe Pruitt, Bill Walker, and JR Giddens.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:24:46 PM by moiso »

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 11:32:46 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Ryan Gomes, Big Baby and Leon Powe were pretty solid for the spot they were picked. Sully is too when he's in-shape.

Gomes and Davis had NBA careers, which is an accomplishment for anybody, and surely a second round pick. Powe played a role in the Finals, then his body gave out. Good picks.

Hunter we lost I think in an expansion draft?  Good player. Only one who could hold his def position in the post against JO in the playoffs that year. Hate that Carlyle called him a goon or whatever  in the post game. I get working the refs, but the kids interim coach wasn't even strong enough to stand up for him much, and didn't play him again. I think he had a career in Israel or something. Not a bad pick.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 11:55:18 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

But in another current thread somebody says that Ainge is obsessed with slow unathletic bigs, and the consensus around here is that he likes athletic guards who can defend but not shoot.  Seems to me that he likes all kinds of players and drafts who he thinks can be the best player.  Most of those guys that you listed were great second round picks.  Maybe you prefer Orien Green, Gabe Pruitt, Bill Walker, and JR Giddens.

So hard to keep up with the " Ainge only ...." theories. 

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 12:35:42 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I thought someone was gonna say Tatum

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 12:52:30 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The fact is we are finally getting to see what Ainge does with Awesome picks. It's looking good right now. He's had a lot of garbage picks in the past that are difficult to hit.

When your picking in the 30's your gonna be stuck with less than ideal talent. All the elite height, weight, length, athletes are gone right away. So you have 6'6" power forwards left that went 20ppg 10 rpg in college that are to small.

What is interesting is we are finding out he does indeed LOVE 6'6" to 6'8" super athletes wing's, that are usually gone at the top of the draft.

And I'm pumped we are now Stacked with these type of athletes.
 He Offered the farm for Winslow, very next year He takes Brown third, Now he selects Tatum, signs Hayward, we have Crowder and Semi pick #37 is for sure An NBA player in my eyes.

Even Nader doesn't suck to bad LoL.

Crowder
 Hayward
 Tatum
 Brown
 Semi

Job well done Ainge, these are key pieces in today's NBA.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 03:20:49 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

So if i read this correctly sully headline reads, "undersized pf".  8)
Jared has been eating super sized for so long he should "relish" that title

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

I'm not making a comment on the quality of the players, only that Ainge seems to like a certain type of guy after the first half of the first round.

I'll throw in that Ainge brought in Shelden Williams for a hot second in 2010 and brought in Brandon Bass, though those guys weren't drafted. But maybe I'm projecting.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 07:06:26 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Ojeleye looked good in SL but he's 22.5 yo. Guys like him only occasionally become good in the NBA. Key stat for him this year is minutes.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 07:27:09 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I'm not making a comment on the quality of the players, only that Ainge seems to like a certain type of guy after the first half of the first round.

I'll throw in that Ainge brought in Shelden Williams for a hot second in 2010 and brought in Brandon Bass, though those guys weren't drafted. But maybe I'm projecting.
Those two are much better than Patrick Obryant and Mikki Moore though!

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 02:54:46 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Those two are much better than Patrick Obryant and Mikki Moore though!
I don't know that Shelden Williams is much better than anyone. But I'm not making a comment about the quality of these players.