Author Topic: How much would our defensive identity change without Crowder/Bradley/Smart?  (Read 525 times)

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I mention those three players because they seem the most likely to be dealt or let go this and next season. Crowder eventually could be supplanted by Hayward, Brown, and/or Tatum. Bradley will be very difficult to keep with Thomas also needing to be re-signed next year. Smart (and/or Crowder) is already at risk of being dealt soon to clear up max cap space, and even if he stays he will also be a free agent next offseason.

These three are widely considered to be our best guard/wing defenders and all could be gone this or next year. How much will that fundamentally change our defense? Would we morph into a team that tries to outscore everyone?

This is kind of why I was open to taking Jackson. Even if didn't become a star, at least he'd be here for four years as a guy who you could plug in to guard multiple positions, kind of like a more versatile and much taller Marcus Smart.

As Cleveland showed, having multiple 3 and D guys is really important. It's not realistic to expect a player to have a major role on offense and also be one of your top defenders, even the top stars struggle when having to expend that much energy.

I'm just worried with the type of team we'll end up with if we invest too much money in stars who aren't true two-way players with the ability to defend multiple positions, and then also have a bunch of bench guys who might be hard workers but for whom defense is not really their strongest skill or their point of pride so to say.

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
We drafted Semi and Allen last night, who seem to do exactly what Bradley and Crowder does. Another Marcus Smart doesn't exist though.

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I think Danny will continue to re-sign all these guys as long as the contracts are around market value. His strategy seems to be keep the guys he likes together, gather young talent and picks, then if a great oppurtunity comes along via trade to nab a superstar at the right price he will do it.

Danny not drafting Fultz should tell you that Danny is happy with his guard rotation, and that he will want to re-sign Bradley along with IT. Also not sure why many think Smart is going to be traded, Stevens loves him and he's a baller, Ainge will want to keep him rather than bank on a chance to sign a free agent via cap space, because that's a big gamble. In short, I trust Danny will continue to value the defensive end of the floor and balance the roster even if these guys you named are traded.

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
All three of those guys together equal 1 KG. So without them our defense would take a huge hit.