Author Topic: Kaufman PG Tweets/Woj Stuff (Merged)  (Read 18428 times)

Re: Kaufman PG Tweets/Woj Stuff (Merged)
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2017, 12:17:01 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Did you guys listen to Mannix on WEEI this morning? I tuned in late but as I tuned in he was mentioning PG as a one year rental nothing about an extension. He also said he doesn't see it working with Hayward and PG that they are too similar. He thinks we have a good shot at Hayward and that that's why we didn't go after Butler.

I think we need to not get our hopes up too fast.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 12:51:46 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
With Jimmy Butler being moved to the Minnesota Timberwolves, talks between the Boston Celtics and Indiana Pacers on Paul George have become more serious.

Boston selected Jayson Tatum at No. 3, who would presumably be moved to Indiana if a George deal is consummated.

George prefers a trade to the Los Angeles Lakers.

10:54 PM Update: A couple of rival teams expected the Celtics to reach a deal with Indiana on a trade. There's not an expectation the Pacers completing a George trade on draft night.

ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI/THE VERTICAL
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 12:58:41 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Did you guys listen to Mannix on WEEI this morning? I tuned in late but as I tuned in he was mentioning PG as a one year rental nothing about an extension. He also said he doesn't see it working with Hayward and PG that they are too similar. He thinks we have a good shot at Hayward and that that's why we didn't go after Butler.

Just because he doesn't see it doesn't mean the Celtics feel the same way.

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

Just because he doesn't see it doesn't mean the Celtics feel the same way.

Yeah Mannix was adamant that the C's were drafting Fultz 100% and there was zero chance they'd trade down. Danny proved Mr Mannix very, very wrong.

If we keep Tatum he will have proven me very wrong as well. I still think we are trading the pick for PG13 but I'll be happy with Tatum either way.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2017, 01:34:43 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
There is no way this is true.  The Celtics would need to have the cap room to give George an extension after trading for him.  They can do that without Hayward, but cannot possibly do that after signing Hayward.

100% Fake.

So we have to trade+extend PG13 over the cap to keep the caproom for Hayward right?

So how would you see a trade going down?
Bradley+one of Amir/Zeller+Rozier? (plus draft pick/s)

Albert Nahmad
@AlbertNahmad

To trade for Paul George and renegotiate him to $29.7M max + sign Gordon Hayward at $29.7M max, Celtics would need to clear at least $29M.

he wrote this the other day too:

http://heathoops.com/2017/06/what-could-be-next-for-the-celtics-after-trading-their-no-1-pick/

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 01:41:25 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
If Indiana could get Tatum in the trade, that is a really good score for them for a player who will likely walk away in FA anyway.  I assume that there would be some salary too (maybe Zeller and some other lower tier players).  I can see Indiana doing this for sure.

From the Celtics perspective, I hope they don't make this trade for one season of Paul George.  Paul George is great and I probably prefer him to Butler, Griffin, and Hayward but you have to factor in what we give up and for how long we get him.

I don't get the feeling that Paul George is highly driven by money so the idea of him foregoing full free agency to extend is possible but only for a team he really wants to play for.  That makes sense if it was the Lakers but for him to do that for the Celtics seems inconsistent with everything that has been rumored or reported.

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2017, 01:41:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
There is no way this is true.  The Celtics would need to have the cap room to give George an extension after trading for him.  They can do that without Hayward, but cannot possibly do that after signing Hayward.

100% Fake.

I am not a cap master like you are, but if we match salaries and re-sign him at the end of the season we don't have enough room? Also, this guy is a Boston media guy, so I wouldn't classify it as fake, he's hearing it from somewhere, that's why he's reporting it. That doesn't make it true though.

We can't have a 3-year extension in place at the end of next year. That's illegal.  And that's not what he's saying.  "A 3-year extension in place" means he's going to be traded and given a new contract as part of the trade, (like what we did with KG 10 years ago.)

It's fake.  Either this dude is an idiot who passes along whatever he hears without evaluating it, or he made it up himself.  I'll lower my fake rating to 99%, because it's doable if we trade Horford, and we'll be charitable and say there's a 1% chance Horford gets traded to make this thing happen.  But only 1%.

Otherwise, you could literally trade Tatum, Brown, Smart, Crowder, and Bradley and still not have the cap room to do this.  That's how impossible it is.  It's not close but difficult.  It's simply not happening, because there is no way for it to happen in the CBA.

One more question to throw at you, and it's for the sake of discussion, not trying to prove you wrong. Are you saying that DA can't talk to an agent of a prospective player acquired through a trade if Indy gives them permission?

No, I'm saying that they can't have an agreement that next year George will sign a new contract with the Celtics, because that's circumnavigating the CBA.  Having an agreement in place would essentially mean the Celtics got a lot of extra cap room that way, since they need that cap room to sign him legally.  If it was discovered the Celtics had done so, the penalties would be severe.  George's contract would be voided, he'd be prohibited from re-signing with the Celtics, and the Celtics would have draft picks taken away, probably some very good ones.  It would cost Ainge his job.

It's not a remote possibility.  That's not how Danny Ainge operates.

It's not precise wording, and as written can't happen. I expect this is like the Kevin Love situation, where there's a promise to re-sign. The NBA let that one go. That's assuming this isn't fictional, however.

Even with Kevin Love, there was no true promise.  If he hadn't gotten hurt in the playoffs, and the Cavs had lost to the Warriors with him being a healthy scapegoat, do you think he'd have been so quick to re-up?  I personally don't.  He might've ultimately stayed, but I don't think it was pre-ordained that he'd have stuck around.  The injury left him feeling like there was unfinished business, and since he was injured on what was deemed a dirty play by most, he didn't have to suffer through any accusations of not being tough enough.  Resigning was obvious at that point.  But if that playoffs had gone like this past year's, or even the year before when they won a title, I wouldn't have been remotely surprised if he walked.

Being the third wheel on a LeBron team is rough.

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2017, 08:09:37 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
New update per Kaufman on Celtics @ 7 this AM on 98.5.

Deal he was hearing was the pick acquired from Philly (LAL 18 or Sac 19), a non Brooklyn pick, Jae Crowder, and salary filler for PG13.

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2017, 08:15:18 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

Deal he was hearing was the pick acquired from Philly (LAL 18 or Sac 19), a non Brooklyn pick, Jae Crowder, and salary filler for PG13.

I do this 15 times out of 10! If this is the deal it makes you think that maybe it's in place they're just waiting till after free agency. If this happens that means Danny turned the 1 into Tatum and PG13. I'll take that over Fultz any day

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I do this 15 times out of 10! If this is the deal it makes you think that maybe it's in place they're just waiting till after free agency. If this happens that means Danny turned the 1 into Tatum and PG13. I'll take that over Fultz any day

If a) this is actually the deal, and b) DA believes that adding PG and GH puts the Cs legitimately in the Cavs/Warriors tier of contention, then I would agree that we should gamble that PG will decide to stay..

On another perhaps foolish note, is it "legal" for Hayward to call Paul George and say "look, if I sign there and pass up X Million to leave Utah, can I count on you to stay if the Cs trade for you?"  Obviously non-binding, but an assurance I'd want if I'm Hayward since if George leaves after a year, Hayward is left on a non-contender.  My naive thinking.

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2017, 09:23:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I like this move if PG is resigned. It kind of sticks it to Lakers twice

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2017, 09:30:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Being the third wheel on a LeBron team is rough.

Why less work and you still look good?   This guy can't carry a team but he can be a piece on a winning one.

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2017, 04:33:17 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The deal that works on the ESPN trade machine is Bradley + Crowder for George.  Hollinger minus 6 for Pacers. It puts the Celtics very close to the cap money needed to sign Hayward, too. There is still some uncertainty about the max salary in view of the adjusted cap to $99M.

A straight deal makes the most sense without 3rd parties getting involved.  Most likely, they were close to a deal draft night, but maybe Ainge decided to wait until after they renounce Zeller 7/2 and sign Hayward.

The straight deal, no draft picks, looks good for both teams. Bradley is cheap next year. Crowder is cheap for two years. The Pacers can extend Bradley, and if they don't, the Celtics could re-sign him if George does not stay in Boston. If George doesn't stay, they have enough to extend IT.

The core team would be IT, Horford, Hayward, George, Tatum, Brown, Smart, Rozier. Dropped players: Zeller, KO, AJ, Jerebko, D Jackson, Mickey. 

They'll have to fill out the roster with cheap players, Zizic, etc. This is how the elite teams are doing it.

You need a core of 8-9 good players to win a championship. Red always said 8. They would be close.

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2017, 04:39:54 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

That takes care of George, but they can't sign Hayward without unloading Bradley.

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2017, 04:43:01 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Hell yes, please.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.