Author Topic: 2 Moves and we become East Favorites...  (Read 3151 times)

Re: 2 Moves and we become East Favorites...
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 09:23:11 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
This is basically what I've been suggesting for weeks (except I'd trade Smart instead of Bradley).

TP
In the last 15 years the Celtics have payed a combined 47 million in luxury tax.  That team as suggested is staring at a luxury tax bill in excess of 100 million for the 2019 season.....and you have no chance to win a title because your bench is filled almost entirely with inexperienced youth.  Not remotely going to happen.

How do you figure a luxury tax bill this high? The incoming salary of George is nearly equivalent to outgoing salaries and we already have near the room it would take to sign a max FA at Griffin/Hayward's level and could get there by renouncing our team option players.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 11:39:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is basically what I've been suggesting for weeks (except I'd trade Smart instead of Bradley).

TP
In the last 15 years the Celtics have payed a combined 47 million in luxury tax.  That team as suggested is staring at a luxury tax bill in excess of 100 million for the 2019 season.....and you have no chance to win a title because your bench is filled almost entirely with inexperienced youth.  Not remotely going to happen.

How do you figure a luxury tax bill this high? The incoming salary of George is nearly equivalent to outgoing salaries and we already have near the room it would take to sign a max FA at Griffin/Hayward's level and could get there by renouncing our team option players.
He is talking about 2 years when you have to re-sign Thomas and George.  Of course I wouldn't give Thomas a max contract and if he left, he left. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 12:25:52 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
And I don't get why so many people are hung up on salary cap on this board. Wicked has willingly gone into luxury zone to put a competitive team on the court. My proposed team would be close to cap.
Next offseason what are you going to do when Thomas, Smart and George are free agents?  Signing them all would puts us well over the luxury tax.

You make a decision on one of your expiring max contracts (Thomas or George). Either choice can be justified. Let go of Thomas because of height and defensive deficiencies. Let go of George because of redundancy in roster and draft picks (Tatum, Brown, Porter Jr. could be targeted in 2018 draft with one of either Nets or Lakers pick) and one of them emerges.

Or you could let go of both depending on how our draft picks work out and invest in new max players from the 2018 FA class.

My opinion is you let Thomas walk and either draft or sign a PG. We have two capable ball handlers in Smart/Rozier (assuming neither go in trade for PG13).

So we would be trading Bradley, Crowder, and a future pick in order to become "East Favorites" for 1 year? Yeah, no, I think I'll pass.  No point in giving up future assets in deals that won't help us become a real contender either now or down the road

I think you can make an easy argument that the team as constructed would compete head-to-head with Golden State quite well:

PG Thomas vs. Curry (Curry, slight edge)
SG: Smart vs. Thompson (Thompson, but Smart can contain him)
SF: George vs. Durant (Durant edge)
PF: Griffin vs. Green (Griffin edge)
C: Horford vs. Pachulia (Horford edge)

Wow... this is... so optimistic.

All these scenarios where Smart is our starting SG next season really scare me. It really speaks to our lack of a replacement for Bradley if we have to trade him or let him walk next season. Brown isn't ready and his shot isn't good enough, but maybe it could be in 2018-2019?

One of the starters HAS to be on a cheaper contract. GS does it by saving money on centers, because they don't need to be able to shoot in their system, and don't even see the floor in small lineups.

The way our team is constituted now, that starter who is on a cheaper deal has to either play SG or PF. We don't have anyone like that on the roster now if Bradley goes and if you think Brown won't shoot well enough that quickly, which is why Danny really needs to make a trade.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
That's also why Danny so highly values his draft picks. They're cost-controlled and the high picks have a high upside. How long does it take elite draft picks to become elite players? A couple seasons? There's reason to believe Jaylen Brown could shoulder as much of an offensive load next season as Jae Crowder did this season - no, that's not phenomenal, but it's plenty of development to give him a greater role.

It's also why I think Hayward is such a great fit. If we do swap out Bradley, Hayward takes over at the 2/3 and George at the 3/4.

Not to mention, adding offensive weapons to this team gives everyone better looks.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens