Author Topic: NBA Draft Grade 2017 - Boston Celtics  (Read 3633 times)

NBA Draft Grade 2017 - Boston Celtics
« on: June 23, 2017, 06:00:46 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I love going through these after each draft. As per usual, there is no consistency in the grades given for our picks.

Yahoo Sports:
Boston Celtics: A+
Jayson Tatum is the most polished offensive player in the draft – a legitimate three-level scorer who can further develop an already impressive post-up game as his body progresses. Fittingly, I’ve been told that Boston believes he can fit the Paul Pierce 2.0 mold. Tatum is significantly better than last year’s No. 3 pick – Jaylen Brown – though his defense remains a slight concern. In the second round, Danny Ainge hit on SMU’s Semi Ojeleye, a powerfully built, highly athletic pick-up truck. It doesn’t hurt, either, that Ojeleye knocked down over 42 percent of his 3-pointers as a junior. There is suddenly some duplicity on this roster, but the Celtics also got a lot better.
https://sports.yahoo.com/2017-nba-draft-grades-30-teams-080806675.html

Fox Sports:
Boston Celtics: C+

Picks: Jayson Tatum (3), Semi Ojeleye (37), Kadeem Allen (53), Jabari Bird (56)

The Celtics got the player they wanted at No. 3, and we expect Tatum to develop into a solid offensive player in Boston. However, we're docking Danny Ainge a letter grade or two here for the Wolves' acquisition of Jimmy Butler. According to reports, the Celtics were unwilling to include the No. 3 pick in a trade for Butler.
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/nba-draft-grades-lakers-celtics-bulls-lonzo-ball-trade-jimmy-butler-062317

CBSSports:
Jayson Tatum
Grade: A
Perfect fit. Celtics need a scorer to take pressure off IT4 and Tatum is the most advanced scorer in draft.

Semi Ojeleye
Grade: A-
Surprised he dropped this far. Versatile offensive player. Could be a steal for Boston.

Kadeem Allen
Grade: B+
Big and strong point guard, can defend at a high level on the perimeter. 

Jabari Bird
Grade: B
Played with Jaylen Brown at Cal, strong shooter from the outside.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2017-nba-draft-grades-and-breakdown-for-each-and-every-draft-selection/

The Ringer:
Jayson Tatum
If it wasn’t clear already, Danny Ainge isn’t afraid of taking risks. He bucked the draft consensus by moving off the no. 1 pick, and people are going to compare Tatum and Fultz for the rest of their careers. Tatum is one of the best scorers in this draft, and he could become the no. 2 option the Celtics have needed to take pressure off Isaiah Thomas. Of course, that’s if he’s staying in Boston long term. If he does, given how many players the Celtics could be adding in the next few years, the key is developing the rest of his game so he can help his team if he’s not a primary option. It’s also unclear how his presence would impact the development of Jaylen Brown, the no. 3 pick in last year’s draft, since both players are inconsistent outside shooters who will need the ball.

Value: B
Fit: B
https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-grading-the-picks-8302d41fac87

USAToday:
Jayson Tatum
When the Celtics made their trade with the 76ers, many expected this pick to be used on Josh Jackson. He undoubtedly was the most coveted by other teams on the trade market, and he fit the Celtics' style of play and preference in drafting. But that's part of what makes Tatum, the draft's most natural scorer, such a good fit: He's different. He's not at all like Jaylen Brown or Jae Crowder, and he gives the Celtics some of the scoring ability they lacked when Isaiah Thomas was off the court. He's also incredibly polished, though that could be interpreted as a lack of upside.

Grade: B+

Semi Ojeleye
The top-ranked player remaining on many boards, Ojeleye is ridiculously strong and can play either forward spot. He might be another Jae Crowder for the Celtics, who love athletes like this and are building up their pool of switch-capable forwards. Plus, after four years in college, he should be able to play right away.

Grade: A

Kadeem Allen
Allen is the perfect Celtics pick, a scrappy defender whose offensive game is better than advertised. His problem is he's not a real point guard but measured as 6-2 at the combine.

Grade: B-

Jabari Bird
Bird can rain 3s but lacks the physical frame and athletic ability for the NBA. We'll give him an extra plus for being a Celtic named Bird.

Grade: C+
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2017/06/22/2017-nba-draft-tracker-live-picks-analysis-grades/420430001/

Sports Illustrated:
Boston Celtics | Grade: C+

Pick: Jayson Tatum, Semi Ojeleye, Kadeem Allen, Jabari Bird
Trade: TBD?

I'm a little tired of trying to decode Danny Ainge's master plan for all these assets. When they traded the No. 1 pick, I think a lot of people around the league assumed that it was a prelude to a bigger move. But they didn't get Jimmy Butler on Thursday night, they didn't get Kristaps Porzingis on Thursday afternoon, Paul George rumors came and went, and ... Maybe they just really like Tatum? I'm not a huge fan of his game, but others are. And if anyone can find a way to take what he does well—iso scoring—and make it work at an elite level, it's probably Brad Stevens. Semi Ojeleye is a prospect I really liked, but with Ante Zizic and Guerschon "Dancing Bear" Yabusele coming over, I wonder whether they even have minutes for him.

The Celtics are probably not as brilliant as the true Ainge believers think, and they're probably not as dumb and gun shy as some critics make them sound. That's my only coherent Celtics thought after (another) 96-hour window of endless Celtics rumors. We'll see what happens in free agency.
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/23/nba-draft-grades-teams-wolves-bulls-sixers-lakers-knicks

Bleacherreport:
Jayson Tatum
Heading into the draft, Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge claimed the player he'd end up taking at No. 3 would've been the same one he'd have drafted before trading out of the No. 1 slot. Now, it's clear that was Jayson Tatum, which is...interesting.

The Celtics are known for not allowing outside perception to influence their draft board, and that explains why they played the part of contrarians. It's an aggressive evaluation of a player who often displayed lackluster effort during his brief time at Duke and doesn't quite possess the prototypical explosiveness we've come to expect from superstar wings.

Could Tatum justify this lofty standing? Of course.

He's a gifted scorer with a game that, upon even casual examination, can remind onlookers of Carmelo Anthony. Drilling mid-range jumpers and playing a slow-it-down face-up game tends to do that, especially when coupled with smooth athleticism. Factor in his defensive upside, and he could very well become the top wing in this class—maybe even the top overall player, even if that seems like Markelle Fultz's designation to lose.

There are just no guarantees here, since Tatum will need plenty of touches in a system that filters so many toward Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford. Adjustments will be necessary to make this a perfect fit, and the former Blue Devil will need to spend his rookie season learning how to provide new types of contributions.

Semi Ojeleye
Semi Ojeleye will likely never develop into a strong defender for the Boston Celtics. He's never functioned as such during his amateur career, and it doesn't help that his wingspan (6'10") isn't quite what you'd like from a player who lines up at small forward but sometimes rotates to the 4.

But he's an incredible athlete who knows how to parlay his strength into production on the offensive end, where he constantly creates second-chance opportunities. Plus, he's a potent shooter from three-point territory and shot 42.4 percent from downtown during his junior season with the Mustangs.

He's a solid value at this stage, even if he's bereft of the top-tier upside that often accompanies players selected in this range.

Grade: B-

Kadeem Allen
It would be downright shocking if Kadeem Allen logged a single minute for the Boston Celtics in 2017-18. They're overflowing with depth at the point, as Isaiah Thomas is still leading the charge and is backed up by a litany of high-upside players such as Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier.

Allen, if he's signed, should spend the next season learning with the Maine Red Claws, the team's G League affiliate, only to be called up if there's a dire need for additional depth because injuries have struck with a fervor.

Grade: C-

Jabari Bird
Everything that applied to Kadeem Allen also holds true here. The Boston Celtics simply don't have space for another guard—particularly one, like Jabari Bird, who isn't ready to hold his own defensively.

The former California sharpshooter can scorch nets, but the C's won't have trouble finding other players who can do the same thing. Until he adds strength to his frame and proves he can contribute when he's not taking open jumpers, the G League—or an international league—will be his home.

There is one overwhelming positive for this fit, though: This shooting guard has a last name Celtics fans might enjoy.

Grade: C-
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717322-2017-nba-draft-grades-for-every-pick

Masslive:
Jayson Tatum
Tatum is a good pick for the Celtics — a nice fit next to Jaylen Brown, and a potentially lethal scorer. Boston could have gone riskier by grabbing Jackson (and his high trade value), but the safer pick in Tatum was a good one.
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/06/nba_draft_grades_2017_boston_c.html

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Re: NBA Draft Grade 2017 - Boston Celtics
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 06:11:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nice work compiling all of that! TP!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 06:15:26 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Thanks for the work. TP. I am not overly excited about our draft grades though.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 06:30:28 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
However, we're docking Danny Ainge a letter grade or two here for the Wolves' acquisition of Jimmy Butler. According to reports, the Celtics were unwilling to include the No. 3 pick in a trade for Butler.

I don't get this part.... Considering what the Bulls got no3, would have been an overpay but according to the report it would have made DA's draft day grade an A..... ??????

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I would grade it
Tatum,  B+
Semi, B
Allen, F
Bird, C

Overall with trades and deals available I'd grade C's draft as B. They need to draft more size. Would have gambled on bigs in the second round.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:48:20 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 06:44:07 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Here's a couple more to add:

Sporting News:
3. Boston Celtics (from 76ers via Kings) - Jayson Tatum

This is an interesting fit for the Celtics at No. 3, as they pick up the No. 2 player on my board. Coach Brad Stevens does as good a job as any coach in the league at creating mismatches on offense, and Tatum is an absolute matchup nightmare at 6-8 with tremendous athletic fluidity. He's also known as an extremely hard worker, and he has a good chance to reach his All-Star ceiling with the Celtics.

GRADE: A

37. Boston Celtics (from Wolves via Suns) - Semi Ojeleye

Many around the NBA compare Ojeleye to Jae Crowder, so it makes sense that Boston would value his mix of positional versatility on defense and shooting on offense. This is the second top-20 player they've taken on our board, despite picks No. 3 and 37 so far. Just an absolute home run.

53. Boston Celtics (from Cavaliers) - Kadeem Allen

Allen is among the best perimeter defenders in the 2017 NBA Draft. Not sure what the Celtics will ever get out of him offensively, but Allen's athletic, quick and tough as hell at the point of attack. Interesting choice.

GRADE: C+

56. Boston Celtics (from Clippers) - Jabari Bird

Bird is not on our top-100 list. A former McDonald's All-American, Bird is a shooter that can hit from 3. My assumption is that this is a stash pick and that Boston had others higher on their board that did not agree to it.

GRADE: B-
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-draft-live-2017-picks-results-updates-first-round-1-full-list-players-teams-espn-watch/1n1hha94jow2x156sesje2eadu

SB Nation
3. Boston Celtics: Jayson Tatum, F, Duke

Boston drafted a defense-first bundle of fast-twitch in Jaylen Brown a year ago. This year, it’s the smoother, more refined natural scorer in Tatum. That seems like an appropriate combo, provided either can play power forward full-time in the NBA. In fact, with the league’s slow progression toward full-on smallball, you wonder how long it will be until Brad Stevens experiments with Tatum at the five and Brown at the four. (Especially if Gordon Hayward comes to town.) Just because the Celtics have a small point guard doesn’t mean they have to be small altogether.

Regardless of how Tatum fits with Brown, this pick will be graded based almost entirely on how good Josh Jackson becomes. That’s not fair to Tatum, but he can wipe his tears with one of his many millions of dollar bills. (Fact: NBA rookies get paid in crisp, impossible to separate one dollar bills. It’s in the collective bargaining agreement.)

GRADE: Thank you, Brooklyn
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/22/15852264/nba-draft-2017-grades-round-1-sixers-lakers-celtics

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »

Offline Raul C

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
We missed the boat on Isaac.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 09:19:03 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
LOL they graded a C cause we didn't trade for Butler instead, makes sense...

Whoever wrote that SI one is particularly dumb.  Why are people docking the Celtics for taking draft picks with draft picks?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 09:22:58 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
However, we're docking Danny Ainge a letter grade or two here for the Wolves' acquisition of Jimmy Butler. According to reports, the Celtics were unwilling to include the No. 3 pick in a trade for Butler.

I don't get this part.... Considering what the Bulls got no3, would have been an overpay but according to the report it would have made DA's draft day grade an A..... ??????

Exactly.

Just grade the draft you aren't grading the GM or a GM, quiet down.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
TP for your time, TA9. Very happy overall with the draft picks.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
TP for the roundup.

The crazy thing about the draft is that there is this long build up and it finally comes and all our questions are finally answered... except none of our questions are answered because we don't know if Tatum's game will translate to the NBA and we don't know if Ojeleye has a position and we don't know if either of the later picks will ever see the parquet.

We'll just have to wait and see. But I am excited.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 12:14:48 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Here's a couple more to add:

Sporting News:
3. Boston Celtics (from 76ers via Kings) - Jayson Tatum

This is an interesting fit for the Celtics at No. 3, as they pick up the No. 2 player on my board. Coach Brad Stevens does as good a job as any coach in the league at creating mismatches on offense, and Tatum is an absolute matchup nightmare at 6-8 with tremendous athletic fluidity. He's also known as an extremely hard worker, and he has a good chance to reach his All-Star ceiling with the Celtics.

37. Boston Celtics (from Wolves via Suns) - Semi Ojeleye

Many around the NBA compare Ojeleye to Jae Crowder, so it makes sense that Boston would value his mix of positional versatility on defense and shooting on offense. This is the second top-20 player they've taken on our board, despite picks No. 3 and 37 so far. Just an absolute home run.

53. Boston Celtics (from Cavaliers) - Kadeem Allen

Allen is among the best perimeter defenders in the 2017 NBA Draft. Not sure what the Celtics will ever get out of him offensively, but Allen's athletic, quick and tough as hell at the point of attack. Interesting choice.

GRADE: C+

56. Boston Celtics (from Clippers) - Jabari Bird

Bird is not on our top-100 list. A former McDonald's All-American, Bird is a shooter that can hit from 3. My assumption is that this is a stash pick and that Boston had others higher on their board that did not agree to it.

GRADE: B-
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-draft-live-2017-picks-results-updates-first-round-1-full-list-players-teams-espn-watch/1n1hha94jow2x156sesje2eadu

SB Nation
3. Boston Celtics: Jayson Tatum, F, Duke

Boston drafted a defense-first bundle of fast-twitch in Jaylen Brown a year ago. This year, it’s the smoother, more refined natural scorer in Tatum. That seems like an appropriate combo, provided either can play power forward full-time in the NBA. In fact, with the league’s slow progression toward full-on smallball, you wonder how long it will be until Brad Stevens experiments with Tatum at the five and Brown at the four. (Especially if Gordon Hayward comes to town.) Just because the Celtics have a small point guard doesn’t mean they have to be small altogether.

Regardless of how Tatum fits with Brown, this pick will be graded based almost entirely on how good Josh Jackson becomes. That’s not fair to Tatum, but he can wipe his tears with one of his many millions of dollar bills. (Fact: NBA rookies get paid in crisp, impossible to separate one dollar bills. It’s in the collective bargaining agreement.)

GRADE: Thank you, Brooklyn
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/22/15852264/nba-draft-2017-grades-round-1-sixers-lakers-celtics
Good catch, I missed those. TP!

I particularly like SB Nations' grading system. Funny stuff they got going on there ;D
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »

Offline NorCalJack

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5

Well too shouldn't they increase the grade for turning the No. 1 pick into the No. 3 pick and a potential lottery pick in '18 or '19.  They deduct for a trade that was never acceptable to us, but no credit for turning an asset into two assets.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I wonder if kadeem Allen will be the guy to fill in the Marcus smart role should smart get moved

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 11:02:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
TP to the OP for the work, saved me some effort as I was looking up draft grades at 7 AM today. (Because somehow 12 hours gives everyone some new perspective? I don't know.)

Well too shouldn't they increase the grade for turning the No. 1 pick into the No. 3 pick and a potential lottery pick in '18 or '19.  They deduct for a trade that was never acceptable to us, but no credit for turning an asset into two assets.

Agreed it's annoying when a team gets graded for a move they *didn't* make.

Heck, if you're grading on broader transactions and trades you should count them all. So shouldn't our draft be an A++++ because we won 50+ games and ended up with the #1 pick? Danny clearly blew everyone else out of the water there. In that light, passing on the Butler trade seems trivial.