Author Topic: Ainge on cancelled Jackson workout: "I was mad" was cancelled mid-flight Bos-Sac  (Read 12449 times)

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Danny said he thought the top 4 were pretty even and he said maybe even the top 6.  I think Danny and Brad used the workouts and meetings to tip the scales and Jackson missed his chance to separate himself.   I even think when Danny made the trade it was because Tatum  convinced the C's that they didn't want Fultz.  Then they Brought Tatum in for a second look and it was done. Also if you listened to Tatum after the draft he said coach K called him 2 days before the trade to tell him about how goo it would be for him to play for CBS. 

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Ainge passed on his top rated player because of hurt feelings and a grudge with the agent?   Is that what I'm reading?

No?  They've already said multiple times they would have taken Tatum first overall, what are you talking about?
Link?  I know they said they could still get their top rated player, but there is certainly no guarantee that Tatum was that guy.  Indeed, this situation leaves the possibility that Jackson was the guy.

Take it with a grain of salt considering the source, but there's certainly no evidence that Danny had Jackson ranked above Tatum

"We would have picked [Tatum] with the first pick,” Ainge confirmed shortly after midnight, while the Draft was near the tail end of the second round. “We like his size and length, his rebounding, his shooting, his intelligence, his character. There’s a lot to like about Jayson. He’s going to be a terrific player.”

Source
I'm bitter.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Ainge passed on his top rated player because of hurt feelings and a grudge with the agent?   Is that what I'm reading?

No?  They've already said multiple times they would have taken Tatum first overall, what are you talking about?
Link?  I know they said they could still get their top rated player, but there is certainly no guarantee that Tatum was that guy.  Indeed, this situation leaves the possibility that Jackson was the guy.

Nobody knows...but it was either going to be Jackson or Tatum

Both guys are similar level prospects ...just that one has adv on the defensive end and the other on the offensive end

One played mind games the other worked out twice and co operated during the process....so Tatum got picked

Jackson might of had a better chance(slim)  if he just didnt workout for the Celtics at all...instead of cancelling mid flight the 1st time and making Danny mad
He didn't work out for them, and in fact Ainge said no one on his staff spoke to him. Celtics gave him the benefit of the doubt and flew all the way out there.  Jackson displayed immaturity that factored heavily into the decision.

You guys really should watch the Ainge post-draft press conference.  "character" was one of the key items they considered (along with shooting, rebounding, passing, size, athleticism, intelligence). EDIT: link below in OldSchoolDude's post.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:20:42 AM by Surferdad »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Take it with a grain of salt considering the source, but there's certainly no evidence that Danny had Jackson ranked above Tatum

"We would have picked [Tatum] with the first pick,” Ainge confirmed shortly after midnight, while the Draft was near the tail end of the second round. “We like his size and length, his rebounding, his shooting, his intelligence, his character. There’s a lot to like about Jayson. He’s going to be a terrific player.”

Source

Danny Ainge on CELTICS Drafting JAYSON TATUM, SEMI OJELEYE, KADEEM ALLEN and JABARI BIRD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTCVPsDfR3g

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Both guys are similar level prospects ...just that one has adv on the defensive end and the other on the offensive end

One played mind games the other worked out twice and co operated during the process....so Tatum got picked

Jackson might of had a better chance(slim)  if he just didnt workout for the Celtics at all...instead of cancelling mid flight the 1st time and making Danny mad
He didn't work out for them, and in fact Ainge said no one on his staff spoke to him. Celtics gave him the benefit of the doubt and flew all the way out there.  Jackson displayed immaturity that factored heavily into the decision.

You guys really should watch the Ainge post-draft press conference.  "character" was one of the key items they considered (along with shooting, rebounding, passing, size, athleticism, intelligence). EDIT: link below in OldSchoolDude's post.

But Jackson did say he spoke to brad and other assistant coaches a few weeks ago

So someone is not telling the truth

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Workout are stupid, if my entire wirk performance wss on tape interviewing would be stupid as well

Almonst every bad ainge pick can he attributed to a workiut, he was going to.select yi based on his workout, thankfully presti bailed.him out that year, thats what you need to know about ainge and draft workouts
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:37:14 AM by goCeltics »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

But Jackson did say he spoke to brad and other assistant coaches a few weeks ago

So someone is not telling the truth

Since Jackson has been full of it on everything else, I'm guessing he's lying here as well.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Can't wait to watch Boston and Jayson Tatum dismantle Josh Jackson and his Phoenix Suns twice a year.

And then watch him succumb to the likes of Golden State, OKC, San Antonio in the West several times each year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Re: Ainge on Jackson: "he didn't want to be a Celtic for some reason"
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
What adults does this kid have around him?  How did they let him get away with that?

Mike

He didn't make the decision.

You're being very forgiving here.  His agent wasn't responsible for his threatening to beat up a female, and I doubt she shot the ball as closely to her chest as Jackson does.  No idea where he learned that but he'll have to change it quickly.  That and PED up 20 lbs, despite his frame.

What does that have to do with the question of who cancelled his workout?

And, there's no real evidence that Jackson threatened anyone. Damaged her car, yes. Threatened her, no.

I'm happy with Tatum, but I'm personally not all that worried about Jackson.

Ooof. I'm going to assume it's the lawyer in you that's pointing out there's no evidence Jackson threatened anyone. Is there any evidence he didn't? You think he was smashing up her car while she was locked inside and he didn't make any verbal threats? Doesn't add up imo.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:15:03 PM by RIPRED »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Workout are stupid, if my entire wirk performance wss on tape interviewing would be stupid as well

Almonst every bad ainge pick can he attributed to a workiut, he was going to.select yi based on his workout, thankfully presti bailed.him out that year, thats what you need to know about ainge and draft workouts

Yes and no

Yes - see steph curry
No- it was close between jackson and tatum... Did Jackson add some mass since season ended. Did he improve his shooting?  What does he think about practice? How would he handle situation 1,2,3?

So without verifying these things ...Celts didnt want to take a chance on him from what it sounds like

Its like buying a new car without test driving it.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Yes and no

Yes - see steph curry
No- it was close between jackson and tatum... Did Jackson add some mass since season ended. Did he improve his shooting?  What does he think about practice? How would he handle situation 1,2,3?

So without verifying these things ...Celts didnt want to take a chance on him from what it sounds like

Its like buying a new car without test driving it.
A workout is basically an interview.  Are interviews stupid? I think not; one can learn a lot about a person in an interview.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Uh, no. In workouts, you get an idea how what it is like to give direction to the player. You can see how they do when you ask them to do new things. You can talk to them and get a feel for their character. You can see if they take practice seriously first hand.

College basketball is really bad basketball compared to the NBA. These guys need to develop and learn a lot to be good NBA players. Watching college games lets you know how they play against inferior talent. You don't want to draft a guy to stagnates because he won't take direction.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Uh, no. In workouts, you get an idea how what it is like to give direction to the player. You can see how they do when you ask them to do new things. You can talk to them and get a feel for their character. You can see if they take practice seriously first hand.

College basketball is really bad basketball compared to the NBA. These guys need to develop and learn a lot to be good NBA players. Watching college games lets you know how they play against inferior talent. You don't want to draft a guy to stagnates because he won't take direction.

You can also get a feel if the player would kick your car door in and rear taillight out, if you don't play him in front of Brown.

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
a huge Middle Finger to Josh Jackson-!

amen. screw that clown
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Anyone else question Josh's age? He graduated high school at 19 so he's not the sharpest crayon in the box. Also he looks way older than 20.