Author Topic: Ainge on cancelled Jackson workout: "I was mad" was cancelled mid-flight Bos-Sac  (Read 12448 times)

Offline RGow8

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 5
Dude is setting himself up to be an all time loser. Not even butt hurt we didn't draft him, anybody who who willingly stands up the best organization in the NBA flying cross county and just listens too much to his agents and is is a thinned skinned squid. It's ironic because all you heard forever and what was one of things that  stood out about him  was how competetive he is. So why wouldn't you just wanna ball and show any team how good you are? Jaelyn is better anyways, not even bring salty Brown  is going to be a star and better than Jackson will ever be. Jackson was scared he couldn't get minutes over him.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I'm glad we didn't draft him. The guy looked like a bust to me and I was sincerely worried DA would draft him since people called him "an Ainge guy".
- LilRip

Re: Ainge on Jackson: "he didn't want to be a Celtic for some reason"
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 06:27:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What adults does this kid have around him?  How did they let him get away with that?

Mike

He didn't make the decision.
How do you know?

Common sense, plus his agent's history of being difficult.

Jackson indicated that he wish he'd worked out for the Celts in hindsight. I think he just got bad advice.

It doesn't matter if it was at the behest of the agent or not.  The agent is representing Josh Jackson, not the other way around.

While that's true, it also somewhat ignores reality. I work in a field where I give advice, and people rely on me. That includes a lot of 19 year olds. Many of these kids - and many who are much older - completely rely on me. I've heard "I'll do whatever you recommend" too many times to count. If I had an agenda (like Armstrong) it would be incredibly easy to steer these clients in an unwise direction.

Now, in my field, I repeatedly remind my clients that I'm just giving advice, that they have various options, etc. Legal clients repeatedly  get reminded that they're the ultimate decision maker, because if that's fuzzy for a client, their can be ethics violations, etc. Why? Because the opportunity for undue influence is high. I get the sense that some agents might be a bit less scrupulous in protecting their clients' interests.

In short, athletes are no more immune than being taken advantage of by people in power than anybody else.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Do we know the chronology of exactly what happened? Did he or his representatives agree to a meeting, then backed out? Or was it a multi-team tryout that Ainge tried to get in on without any final confirmation?

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Jaelyn is better anyways, not even bring salty Brown  is going to be a star and better than Jackson will ever be.

I think that that is debatable and you would lose that debate.  I will post their college stats.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jaylen-brown-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/josh-jackson-2.html

You will find that there is not much there to back up your statement.   

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Glad Jackson didn't happen. Speculation has been brewing for a few days now that BJ Armstrong did this as revenge for the JaVale McGee incident from 2 seasons ago. Petty stuff but Jackson was essentially caught in the middle.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Well, sucks for Jackson as he ended up losing some money out of this with a lower draft slot.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Jaelyn is better anyways, not even bring salty Brown  is going to be a star and better than Jackson will ever be.

I think that that is debatable and you would lose that debate.  I will post their college stats.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jaylen-brown-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/josh-jackson-2.html

You will find that there is not much there to back up your statement.
Except for the fact that Brown played on and contributed to an Eastern Conference finalist whereas Jackson hasn't played in the NBA. So no, it's not really an argument that Brown is currently better. And considering he has far less limitations and is in a better situation, I'm very confident that he will have a better career.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Well, sucks for Jackson as he ended up losing some money out of this with a lower draft slot.

Yeah, he lost money and a chance to be with a better organization. He was already expressing some regrets last night.

How long before being represented by Armstrong is seen as a serious detriment in the draft process? I'm surprised the Rockets took Hartelstein (represented by Armstrong) this year after the Montiejunas fiasco.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'm so glad Ainge didn't pick Jackson. He has problems written all over him.

He could've played on the big stage but picked obscurity instead. No he's not competitive, it looks weak.

Good luck with all that losing in Phoenix.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, he lost money and a chance to be with a better organization. He was already expressing some regrets last night.

How long before being represented by Armstrong is seen as a serious detriment in the draft process? I'm surprised the Rockets took Hartelstein (represented by Armstrong) this year after the Montiejunas fiasco.
How on earth did he get Bismack that contract??
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

How on earth did he get Bismack that contract??

He was dealing with a bad GM, haha.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I hope ainge's workout fettish doesn't end up bitting us in the rear

Meanwhile Bulls fan are mad their GM didnt workout Markkanen before picking him.

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
So unprofessional. Glad they passed on this guy

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Seeing as we're all hopeless Celtics homers, everyone is bashing Jackson for cancelling the work out, and rightfully so. He shouldn't have agreed to anything he wasn't willing to go through, and even if he changed his mind he should have at least honored his original commitment.

I don't really want to talk about the cancellation though. What a lot of fans don't really want to admit is that as good an organization as the Celtics are, there are a lot of reasons this isn't the best place for a young player to come to now.

First off, the Celtics already have Jaylen Brown, Jae Crowder, and are planning to go all out to sign Hayward. That's way too many SFs eating up minutes. This is a team that wants to at least half "go for it" right now and honestly, that means young players are not going to get as many minutes as they would on a typical lottery team. The less a player plays early on, the less experience and exposure they get.

With such a logjam at certain positions and a requirement to maximize their ability to win now, eventually some of the players will either be allowed to walk or be dealt for a superstar. It's unrealistic to expect the Celtics to keep all these young players because we won't be able to afford them. Eventually the team will need to decide which ones are best and deserving of a big contract. The ones that aren't will either be dealt, let go, or asked to sign less for a bench role. The most likely result is that they are traded.

Why would a young player want to go somewhere where there is that uncertainty? You are totally under the team's control and could be dealt anywhere. Why not go to a place where you will at least get playing time?

The Celtics are trying to have their cake and eat it too. They want to compete now but due to the unlikely situation where they have all these good first round picks from the Nets deal, they are trying to use the kids as assets while keeping them as bench players. What's going to happen next year when they potentially have two more lottery picks? Are they going to have a bench full of lottery picks? How happy are they going to be in such a situation?

We already are at risk of keeping Yabusele and Zizic abroad another year, delaying their rookie deal activating and limiting the amount of NBA money they can make overall in their careers. Do you think that is making their agents very happy? With so many forwards, what is Yabusele thinking? Is he ever going to get a chance here anyway?

Undoubtedly the Celtics are going to be making trades to help alleviate the roster jam, so they'll be fine eventually. The players? That is debatable. Yes, when it comes down to it every player in this league is an asset, because after all it's a business. But when you're 19 years old, it's still important for you to believe that the team that drafts you truly believes you will be with them for 10-12 years.