Author Topic: Floor/Ceiling For Jayson Tatum? (Challenge: Don't Use Paul Pierce)  (Read 22954 times)

Re: Floor/Ceiling For Jayson Tatum? (Challenge: Don't Use Paul Pierce)
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2017, 06:59:48 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Floor - Tobias Harris
Ceiling - Danny Granger

Rooftop - PG13

I like this one. I'll second it.

I think this is ridiculous.

Remember Adam Morrison, 3rd overall pick...what would people have said his "floor" was? Mike Miller? Well, he was out of the league in a couple seasons. That's what the floor is: Any player, even highly touted experienced college players with NBA ready skills can completely bust even without injuries, etc.

What if Tatum is Gerald Green with a worse jump shot? That player had to rehab his role playing career in China.

Same can be said for ceiling. SFs like Granger, PG3, Pierce, all 10 and above. Their ceilings were tremendously high! That's where Tatum's is. He is 19, great size, underrated athleticism...he could be a Carmelo clone, and if he develops that in the right culture (a la carmelo on the US national teams) that's an incredible player.

So floor: No second NBA contract.
Ceiling: Potential best player on championship team.

Adam Morrison did tear his ACL in his second season. Don't think that's what derailed his career, but if you're gonna call something ridiculous at least have all the facts.

Well, the point is multiple unexpected players flame out every draft and have flamed out from every draft position in every single way. So to say that someone's absolute imaginable bottom is a good rotation player is not accurate.
Adam Morrison was drafted at age 22 but Tatum is already more athletic, quick, and explosive as him.
At 22 Morrison had:
6'10'' wingspan
8'9'' standing reach
25.5'' no step and 30.5'' max vert
6'6.5'' w/o shoes

At only 18 Tatum was better in each of those categories except age. Morrison also had diabetes...which may have complicated his career and physical abilities.

Tatum did hurt his foot and missed the beginning of the season and all the practices/camps that lead up...which is hard to recover from, especially as a freshman, because you learn the systems.

« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Floor - Tobias Harris
Ceiling - Danny Granger

Rooftop - PG13

I like this one. I'll second it.

I think this is ridiculous.

Remember Adam Morrison, 3rd overall pick...what would people have said his "floor" was? Mike Miller? Well, he was out of the league in a couple seasons. That's what the floor is: Any player, even highly touted experienced college players with NBA ready skills can completely bust even without injuries, etc.

What if Tatum is Gerald Green with a worse jump shot? That player had to rehab his role playing career in China.

Same can be said for ceiling. SFs like Granger, PG3, Pierce, all 10 and above. Their ceilings were tremendously high! That's where Tatum's is. He is 19, great size, underrated athleticism...he could be a Carmelo clone, and if he develops that in the right culture (a la carmelo on the US national teams) that's an incredible player.

So floor: No second NBA contract.
Ceiling: Potential best player on championship team.

Adam Morrison did tear his ACL in his second season. Don't think that's what derailed his career, but if you're gonna call something ridiculous at least have all the facts.

Well, the point is multiple unexpected players flame out every draft and have flamed out from every draft position in every single way. So to say that someone's absolute imaginable bottom is a good rotation player is not accurate.
Adam Morrison was drafted at age 22 but Tatum is already more athletic, quick, and explosive as him.
At 22 Morrison had:
6'10'' wingspan
8'9'' standing reach
25.5'' no step and 30.5'' max vert
6'6.5'' w/o shoes

At only 18 Tatum was better in each of those categories except age. Morrison also had diabetes...which may have complicated his career and physical abilities.

Tatum did hurt his foot and missed the beginning of the season and all the practices/camps that lead up...which is hard to recover from, especially as a freshman, because you learn the systems.

Look, I like Tatum, have high hopes. I think he is a way better prospect than morrison, and thought morrison would be a massive bust.

That's not the point.

The point is, when you say "someone's floor," you are saying the absolute worst this player could be is XXXXX. For Morrison, people would've said his floor was a guy who could come of screens and hit threes at a high clip, with his ceiling being an elite versatile scorer. However, even that floor was too optimistic; he was out of the league in a flash.

For Steph Curry, who knew his "ceiling" was league MVP? There are players like him every so often: questions about size, athleticism, good shooter, late bloomer, tweener, more experienced college player, good results but at a lesser school...It wouldn't have been that surprising if he and Gabe Pruitt had had similar careers. Happens every single year.

So Tobias Harris, a pretty decent scorer with a role in the league after 4 years of experience, is too high a floor; he's on track to have a better career than several first round picks.

Tatum is young, good size, decent athleticism, good head on his shoulders by all accounts, good skills...so his floor is probably around Al Thornton or Adam Morrison, his ceiling is around Carmelo but a good teammate, which means his ottoman is around tobias harris, his chandelier around paul george, and his kitchen table around danny granger.

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2018, 12:26:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Floor   - Granger
Ceiling - Grant Hill

can't miss

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2018, 12:30:54 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Floor: Larry Bird

Ceiling: Jesus Christ

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Floor: 2nd ballot Hall of Fame

Ceiling: First ballot Hall of Fame. Frequent member of Team USA.

I should clarify...that's if he stays with Brad Stevens. If he leaves things change a bit
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:08:21 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Floor: Melo
Ceiling: KD
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2018, 12:39:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

That's like the same floor and ceiling.

Floor: MJ

Ceiling: Better MJ

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2018, 01:42:48 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

That's like the same floor and ceiling.

Floor: MJ

Ceiling: Better MJ

I dunno, JC only averaged 18ppg and 7apg. We don't know how many rebounds, but LB clearly has him beat in the scoring department.

https://www.theonion.com/christ-returns-to-nba-1819563859

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Look, I like Tatum, have high hopes. I think he is a way better prospect than morrison, and thought morrison would be a massive bust.

That's not the point.

The point is, when you say "someone's floor," you are saying the absolute worst this player could be is XXXXX. For Morrison, people would've said his floor was a guy who could come of screens and hit threes at a high clip, with his ceiling being an elite versatile scorer. However, even that floor was too optimistic; he was out of the league in a flash.

You're being pedantic about the definition of "floor". By your logic, every player ever drafted has the same floor (out of the league). A better definition might be more like the 10% worst case scenario.

Barring freak outcomes (injury, personal breakdown, etc) I'd say Granger is a reasonable choice. Tatum is already at his level minus maybe 2 peak seasons, and 90% of the time a player like Tatum is not going to peak as a rookie.

As for ceiling, I think it approaches Durant. KD is longer than Tatum but there's a chance he develops a similarly lethal inside/outside offensive game. 25/8 on high percentages with above-average defense seems attainable.

« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Jeff Green Floor , almost turned me against nice people.   In the NBA is a cut thoat crowd on court at least .    the meek get eaten and their carcasses tossed aside for the next draftee . 

Motor and effort and kicking the other guys can down the road .....KG

He can be Santa Claus off court.  but he needs to remember once he steps,on the court , his whole attitude has to change .  NBA is about winning period .

He needs a poster of KG in his locker .

Maybe James Worthy player ceiling.

lma000, TP ;D.

Floor   - Granger
Ceiling - Grant Hill

can't miss

I don't understand the comparisons to Grant Hill, as that dude was an excellent passer, iirc, whereas Tatum is, well, more of a black hole, lol ;D.

« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2018, 03:15:54 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Floor:  Paul George
Ceiling: Kevin Durant

« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Been saying he reminds of me rookie Durant all season.

Tatum in 12 playoff games:  18.8 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.2 steals with 46%/31%/84% shooting   

Durant rookie:  20.3 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1 steal with 43%/29%/87% shooting

« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2018, 03:24:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Tatum in 12 playoff games:  18.8 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.2 steals with 46%/31%/84% shooting   

Durant rookie:  20.3 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1 steal with 43%/29%/87% shooting

In terms of their "style" ... they are not similar

Durant also is 6'11 with a 7'5 wingspan

« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2018, 03:27:47 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

In terms of their "style" ... they are not similar

Durant also is 6'11 with a 7'5 wingspan

He came into the league at 6'9''. There's some rumor already that Tatum has grown and has a longer wingspan than the one measured in high school.

We'll probably not know the measurements for sure, but I see a lot of similarities in style.