Author Topic: Floor/Ceiling For Jayson Tatum? (Challenge: Don't Use Paul Pierce)  (Read 23061 times)

Re: Floor/Ceiling For Jayson Tatum? (Challenge: Don't Use Paul Pierce)
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2017, 02:03:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
he reminds me alot of gallinari
If Gallo wasn't made of glass he would be a really good player.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2017, 02:29:16 PM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
Marques Johnson.....

At least according to Kenny the Jet Smith, I'd be happy with a 5× All Star and top 3 leading scorer

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2017, 04:56:51 PM »

Offline RGow8

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 5
Floor: Derrick Williams

Ceiling: Paul George (his role model)
Lol what? Derrick Williams was a hyper athletic 4 compared to Shawn Marion out of college, not even close to Tatum or wher his game  resembles. He busted bc he didnt have ball skills . Tatum is the complete opposite where he has ball skill but will not possses the athleticism to be a star at the NBA level. People say Pierce comp ut Pierce actually had great  atheicism,like elite phone booth athlete they could jump quick without running off two legs . Pierce was in young Melos tier of athlete but Tatum is below that he's a stiff at 19 years old..We just got Shane Battier with the number one pick and a protected pick down the road. Kids a bust or role player I gurantee it.I usually trust in Danny but he messed up tiers this oickmhard, his ass is on  line here and he will be fired for it within 2 years. You don't take the number one pick and turn it into Jayson  Tatum lol.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:13:51 PM by RGow8 »

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2017, 05:03:26 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Floor - Tobias Harris
Ceiling - Danny Granger

Rooftop - PG13

I like this one. I'll second it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2017, 05:08:22 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Tatum looks like Danny Granger with better moves.

And he is only 19 years old.

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2017, 05:12:41 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Floor - Tobias Harris
Ceiling - Danny Granger

Rooftop - PG13

I think this is ridiculous.

Remember Adam Morrison, 3rd overall pick...what would people have said his "floor" was? Mike Miller? Well, he was out of the league in a couple seasons. That's what the floor is: Any player, even highly touted experienced college players with NBA ready skills can completely bust even without injuries, etc.

What if Tatum is Gerald Green with a worse jump shot? That player had to rehab his role playing career in China.

Same can be said for ceiling. SFs like Granger, PG3, Pierce, all 10 and above. Their ceilings were tremendously high! That's where Tatum's is. He is 19, great size, underrated athleticism...he could be a Carmelo clone, and if he develops that in the right culture (a la carmelo on the US national teams) that's an incredible player.

So floor: No second NBA contract.
Ceiling: Potential best player on championship team.

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
worst case he becames Tobias Harris, best case Carmelo Anthony

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »

Offline RGow8

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 5
Floor: Derrick Williams

Ceiling: Paul George (his role model)
Lol what? Derrick Williams was a hyper athletic 4 compared to Shawn Marion out of college, not even close to Tatum or wher his game  resembles. He busted bc he didnt have ball skills . Tatum is the complete opposite where he has ball skill but will not possses the athleticism to be a star at the NBA level. People say Pierce comp ut Pierce actually had great  atheicism,like elite phone booth athlete they could jump quick without running off two legs . Pierce was in young Melos tier of athlete but Tatum is below that he's a stiff at 19 years old..We just got Shane Battier with the number one pick and a protected pick down the road. Kids a bust or role player I gurantee it.I usually trust in Danny but he messed up Oj this one big time. His sass is on line here and he will be fired for it within 2 years. You don't take the number one pick and turn it into Jayson  Tatum lol.

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Worst case slightly better version Jabari Parker without injuries. Best case is Carmelo.

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2017, 05:17:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Floor - Tobias Harris
Ceiling - Danny Granger

Rooftop - PG13

Remember Adam Morrison, 3rd overall pick...what would people have said his "floor" was? Mike Miller? Well, he was out of the league in a couple seasons. That's what the floor is: Any player, even highly touted experienced college players with NBA ready skills can completely bust even without injuries, etc.

What if Tatum is Gerald Green with a worse jump shot? That player had to rehab his role playing career in China.

Same can be said for ceiling. SFs like Granger, PG3, Pierce, all 10 and above. Their ceilings were tremendously high! That's where Tatum's is. He is 19, great size, underrated athleticism...he could be a Carmelo clone, and if he develops that in the right culture (a la carmelo on the US national teams) that's an incredible player.

TP well said.

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2017, 05:22:23 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Ceiling: Bernard King

Floor: 2012-2013 Rudy Gay

« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Floor - Tobias Harris
Ceiling - Danny Granger

Rooftop - PG13

Adam Morrison did tear his ACL in his second season. Don't think that's what derailed his career, but if you're gonna call something ridiculous at least have all the facts.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Jackson is certainly explosive and related to that, I can grant more able to gain separation in some cases. But IQ-wise I feel like Tatum beats Jackson hands down. By a long shot. Like not even negotiable, it's so evident.
Jackson has freaky athleticism and Tatum has an old man game, but I'm pretty sure the consensus is that Jackson's IQ is quite a bit higher.  The Lakers or Kings pick better be awesome because it's going to suck if Fultz becomes a 25ppg scorer and we have a Granger, Sean Elliot, Battier type guy. 

If we are comparing Tatum to Pierce, Tatum dunks like Clippers Pierce.  His feet move faster than Clippers Pierce but he doesn't get any higher over the rim.  That's my main concern- Tatum's athleticism, because I really like his skills.
I feel the same way. I do not think the Pierce comparison is accurate because when Pierce was 19/20 he would take one or two dribbles and explode. Pierce also had a much quicker first step which gave him separation to get to his explosive move.
That is why I think he has a floor of Adam Morrison. They were both the same size and length on draft day. If he develops footwork and a consistent jumper, Tatum could easily be a Rashard Lewis/ Antawn Jamison. I would be okay with that.

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
*Tatum had his recordings done 1 year before the draft/combine at barely 18
*Tatum grew in height and weight after the Hoop Summit and put on 20lbs(which is what doctors say got him hurt), both of which could lead to tightening...IMO there is enough evidence to say Tatum is longer than last years Hoop Summit.
Here are some comparables:

PAUL GEORGE @ 20.1:
6'11.25'' WINGSPAN
8'11'' STANDING-REACH
6'7.75'' W/O SHOES
214lbs

DANNY GRANGER @ 22.2:
7'1.5'' WINGSPAN
8'7.5'' STANDING-REACH
6'7.5'' w/o shoes
225lbs

JAYSON TATUM @ around *18:
6' 11'' WINGSPAN
8' 10.5'' STANDING REACH
*6'7'' w/o shoes(This is minimum and Tatum did grow after this recording)
205lbs (this could be different now as well)

LEBRON JAMES @ 18.5:
7'.25'' WINGSPAN
8'10.25'' STANDING-REACH
6'7.25'' W/O SHOES
245LBS

Carmelo Anthony@ 19.1:
7' WINGSPAN
8'9.5'' STANDING-REACH
6'6.25'' W/O SHOES
233 LBS

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2017, 06:43:47 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Floor - Tobias Harris
Ceiling - Danny Granger

Rooftop - PG13

Adam Morrison did tear his ACL in his second season. Don't think that's what derailed his career, but if you're gonna call something ridiculous at least have all the facts.

Well, the point is multiple unexpected players flame out every draft and have flamed out from every draft position in every single way. So to say that someone's absolute imaginable bottom is a good rotation player is not accurate.