Author Topic: Why acquire all these draft picks?  (Read 2707 times)

Why acquire all these draft picks?
« on: June 22, 2017, 09:37:10 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
I don't understand the point of having all of these assets and not aquiring star talent. DA hordes these picks in trade talks and it has caused the team to miss out on a lot of opprotunity. I understand the mentality of winning every trade but at some time you gotta take a shot and use your chips, hell maybe even overpay a little.

Re: Why acquire all these draft picks?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 09:37:59 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Cause when you can acquire talent, while also getting assets, why not?
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 09:40:40 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
we absolutely need to sign a Max free agent, BEFORE we use these picks in a trade.

The Max slot will disappear after next season...this is why nothing is happening on the trades right now.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 09:40:55 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

Yup, we're a top 5 team in the league with a pantry full of high draft picks on the way.

The next 15 years are going to be fun.

That's why.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:42:06 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
I'm assuming you are talking about free agency. Blake Griffin and Gordon Hayward are not moving the needle for this team with developing players. We need atleast another star and one (butler) is now gone and another (George) is slipping away.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 09:42:37 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Unfortunately, we are playing in an era of two super teams.  Need to plan accordingly.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:42:53 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Yup, we're a top 5 team in the league with a pantry full of high draft picks on the way.

The next 15 years are going to be fun.

That's why.

It's the new movement, and I'm trying to spearhead it along with 40% of the blog. It's called Cake and Eat it Too. Join us haha
#JKJB

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 09:43:08 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
we gotta sign Hayward or Griffin first---Then we can start dealing these picks for more....even if we go over the cap.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 09:44:51 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Cuz sometimes the teams ask for too much for an overpaid star. Tatum most likely will over produce his contract for example

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 09:48:03 PM »

Offline bowlingwarnie

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Just waiting out the horrible situation in New Orleans to play out
AD is the man we should have our sights on -
every Pelicans loss this season should be celebrated heartily here on the blog....
why Johnny Ringo...
You look like somebody just walked over your grave

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 09:48:37 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

So if we sign Hayward/Griffin and hit on Tatum can you really complain with our direction?  We could be looking at Brooklyn 2018 turning into a top 3 pick again.  There's also the potential for LA 2018 to be a top 5 pick.  Suppose the New Orleans project fails with Cousins and Davis.  What if the Porzingis situation gets even worse.  Our "assets" could end up being even more valuable with an even better market of players.  Paul George and Butler both have significant downsides.  The opportunity cost makes standing pat the best option for our team.   

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
This all works out assuming that these top picks pan out. But if everyone turns out to be a bench player/fringe starter, it's a waste of assets. I'll jump on the bandwagon when one of these young guys takes the next step but until then I'm still all for getting proven talent.

Another note, yes GS will be hard to beat for 4-5 years but injuries happen and this team can take the east next year with the right moves.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 09:52:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This all works out assuming that these top picks pan out. But if everyone turns out to be a bench player/fringe starter, it's a waste of assets. I'll jump on the bandwagon when one of these young guys takes the next step but until then I'm still all for getting proven talent.

Another note, yes GS will be hard to beat for 4-5 years but injuries happen and this team can take the east next year with the right moves.

No, you're not quite getting it.  A couple won't.  It's how it works.  By having so many, however, enough should.  That's why you have the extras.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 09:53:15 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

Well said.  Right now we're somehow winning titles with a core of Smart, Brown, Tatum and the two picks next year five years from now?   Call me skeptical.   I just don't give Ainge that much credit drafting.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 09:57:46 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford

No, you're not quite getting it.  A couple won't.  It's how it works.  By having so many, however, enough should.  That's why you have the extras.

Alright man, you'll get your TP in 5 years when and if that happens. All I'm saying is opprotunity knocks you capitalize, not sit and wait for the future which is uncertain. I'm not saying trade all the picks and young guys but definetly a few. Save the rest for building the future or to make a trade for a star in a bad situation.

I want what you all are smoking to think Davis will leave NO when he is gonna get that super max. Same with Giannis. Neither will be a Celtic.