Author Topic: Why acquire all these draft picks?  (Read 2736 times)

Re: Why acquire all these draft picks?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 09:59:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
we absolutely need to sign a Max free agent, BEFORE we use these picks in a trade.

The Max slot will disappear after next season...this is why nothing is happening on the trades right now.

Yep. I expect DA to be active with trades once we sign a Max FA. Fingers crossed that we can.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 10:13:34 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
we absolutely need to sign a Max free agent, BEFORE we use these picks in a trade.

The Max slot will disappear after next season...this is why nothing is happening on the trades right now.

Yep. I expect DA to be active with trades once we sign a Max FA. Fingers crossed that we can.

Rich Gotham was just on Sports Tonight....basically saying Free Agency is where the Celtics will get better
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 10:27:40 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Rich Gotham was just on Sports Tonight....basically saying Free Agency is where the Celtics will get better
That's the next stop on the offseason ride. Whether it's Hayward or Griffin, Crowder is gone.

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 10:29:42 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
This all works out assuming that these top picks pan out. But if everyone turns out to be a bench player/fringe starter, it's a waste of assets. I'll jump on the bandwagon when one of these young guys takes the next step but until then I'm still all for getting proven talent.

Another note, yes GS will be hard to beat for 4-5 years but injuries happen and this team can take the east next year with the right moves.

No, you're not quite getting it.  A couple won't.  It's how it works.  By having so many, however, enough should.  That's why you have the extras.

It also takes luck. Like having your 35th pick become an all-star. And not having serious injuries to key players.

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
The Elite teams in the NBA have been built through the draft..  Only Houston is elite via (Trade) and they are not really one of the championship teams..  We have to hit on at least 3 picks before we can honestly look to Free Agency to push us over the top.

1. Brown - 2. Tatum (maybe) 3. ???? Zizic or 2018 (Bk) 

Boston is in such a Unique situation -

Adding  high contracts and paying the Luxury Tax for a team  that is hoping for a few injuries to win a chip is not a smart business model.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
This all works out assuming that these top picks pan out. But if everyone turns out to be a bench player/fringe starter, it's a waste of assets. I'll jump on the bandwagon when one of these young guys takes the next step but until then I'm still all for getting proven talent.

Another note, yes GS will be hard to beat for 4-5 years but injuries happen and this team can take the east next year with the right moves.

No, you're not quite getting it.  A couple won't.  It's how it works.  By having so many, however, enough should.  That's why you have the extras.

Alright man, you'll get your TP in 5 years when and if that happens. All I'm saying is opprotunity knocks you capitalize, not sit and wait for the future which is uncertain. I'm not saying trade all the picks and young guys but definetly a few. Save the rest for building the future or to make a trade for a star in a bad situation.

I want what you all are smoking to think Davis will leave NO when he is gonna get that super max. Same with Giannis. Neither will be a Celtic.

Just like KG was never gonna leave Minnesota? Situations arise and you never know what could happen. There's no reason to overpay for something now when that overpay won't move the needle too much. We could be darn near a 60 win team next year, and have more than enough assets to significantly improve if the opportunity arises. Not sure there's ever been a team in the NBA with that opportunity.