Author Topic: Just wondering why Butler isn't a Celtic.  (Read 6755 times)

Re: Just wondering why Butler isn't a Celtic.
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
And remember, they really liked Dunn. 

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
The Wolves surprisingly gave up very little for Butler. (LaVine is injured) The C's could have bettered that deal easily. And still had a ton of assets remaining.

That's all I know is we better get Hayward as a FA.

Would you rather have Jimmy Butler or Hayward, Jayson Tatum, Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder? Because that is what youd lose by trading for him.

/End thread

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 09:32:14 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
As soon as I saw this deal with Minnesota, I thought the same thing as everyone else here - we could've had Butler if we'd really wanted him. Ainge must not have thought Butler was worth what Chicago was asking for. I'm sort of in the middle on this one - time will tell whether he made the right choice. If we're able to land a big fish in free agency and also trade for an all star this summer, then it was probably smart to pass on Butler. Or if Jaylen Brown makes the leap this year to a bona fide rising star and we hit on Tatum, then it was probably smart to pass on Butler.

I'm sure Ainge thought Butler was worth what was being asked. He must see some of his other options as better. Perhaps at the moment of decision, he thought he had PG13 lined up. Maybe he still does.

I'm willing to wait this out, but Ainge has work to do. In prior years, deferral was a solid fallback position, but this year, we will lose significant opportunities if we don't seize them.

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
As I've been saying since we stood pat at the deadline (we could have had players like Nurkic or Drummond to improve our team for assets), I think Hayward is coming here and Ainge + Stevens know it for sure. So we can't add any player who prevents us from having cap space.

And that's why we traded down as soon as the front office learned the salary cap was lowered to 99 million.

At least, that's my theory. We must admit Butler was cheap in this trade and we could have gotten him, but I prefer Tatum+Hayward to Butler. This also makes Crowder expendable to be traded and get another asset or go all-in looking at Porzingis.

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Some of us last summer talked about how stupid the Bulls were for not trading Butler last off-season because his value was at its peak. I was surprised his value was still as high as it was at the trade deadline, but again, knew it was only going to decrease. I'm surprised this summer to see how low it ended up being.

I'm happy to explore better options (including just keeping our players).

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 11:41:57 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I feel a little better now.

If we're sure Hayward is coming I guess the better move was to pass on Butler, and keep the bones of the team intact.

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2017, 11:46:27 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Doubt haywsrd comed here with butler on the team, not enough shoots to go around

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2017, 11:56:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Picks no.7 and no.16 + LaVine and Dunn is not a cheap price. Let them have Butler.

It was 7, lavine and dunn and they got 16 back.

It wasn't that high of a price honestly.  I just don't think Ainge likes Butler that much.  I don't either.  If you could get George or Hayward instead you wait.
The price really depends on what you think of Lavine and Dunn.  Lavine obviously has the injury but he is 21 and coming off a season scoring 18.9 ppg on a team that has two other guys scoring more than 23 ppg.  There aren't very many teams historically whose 3rd scoring option is at basically 19 ppg (Bosh never did that in Miami for example - obviously GS did that this year as well, but it is pretty rare).  He is a bad defender, but if they move Wade and Lavine is healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him scoring 25 ppg next year and providing some real excitement (he does a lot more than just dunk, i.e. last season he shot 38.7% from three on 6.6 attempts, plus added 3.4 rebounds and 3 assists). 

Dunn is more interesting because he is much older than many soon to be 2nd year players, but he also played on a team flush with guards and a coach who notoriously hates playing rookies.  It is really hard to get a gauge on what Dunn might be.  Maybe the change of scenery is all he needs to reach the potential many people thought he had. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip