Author Topic: Just wondering why Butler isn't a Celtic.  (Read 6732 times)

Re: Just wondering why Butler isn't a Celtic.
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 10:04:50 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Because Danny Ainge is not interested in losing in the ECF while also having no long-term hope.

Yep.

And contrary to someone like George, I don't think Butler is that good of a fit here.

I think Butler is a better player than George, but yes, George is a far better fit on the court.

Really? George went toe to toe with Lebron in the Pacers-Cavs series and almost pulled out a game or two for the Pacers. Butler instead disappeared in the Celtics series when the Bulls needed him the most.

I don't base my opinions of players on just 4-6 games.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 10:05:29 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Because Danny Ainge is not interested in losing in the ECF while also having no long-term hope.

Yep.

And contrary to someone like George, I don't think Butler is that good of a fit here.

I think Butler is a better player than George, but yes, George is a far better fit on the court.

Really? George went toe to toe with Lebron in the Pacers-Cavs series and almost pulled out a game or two for the Pacers. Butler instead disappeared in the Celtics series when the Bulls needed him the most.

Yeah the Butler goo-fest around the league this year was ridiculous. He is overrated.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 10:05:43 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

Yep.

I don't base my opinions of players on just 4-6 games.

I do if they are playoff games, especially against the league best teams

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Yep.

Yeah the Butler goo-fest around the league this year was ridiculous. He is overrated.

While I think George is the better player, Butler's contract is what makes him so appealing. But, all this supermax talk has Butler making like $40M a season after his current contract. Maybe it's better to get George now and sign him to the 5yr max he could get.

These contracts are getting insane. It seems like just yesterday max contracts were $17M and the cap was $70M.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Jimmy Butler is a nice player, but he wouldn't put us over the top.

Everyone wants to mortgage everything and get veterans because of 2007. But in 2007, we had one of the 10 best players in the league in Paul Pierce, then traded for another of the league's 10 best players in Kevin Garnett. We currently have zero of the NBA's 10 best players, and no one we're talking about acquiring is among the NBA's 10 best players.

PG or KP or JB wouldn't put us over the top. No point in giving up assets for guys who can't move the needle.

For a change, ainge did the smart thing. Hopefully that continues the next few days and he doesn't give up a mint for a guy who has one year left on his deal. If he can be had cheap, great. But if not, no one should forget PG has been unequivocal that he's going to LA.

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 02:18:18 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
As soon as I saw this deal with Minnesota, I thought the same thing as everyone else here - we could've had Butler if we'd really wanted him. Ainge must not have thought Butler was worth what Chicago was asking for. I'm sort of in the middle on this one - time will tell whether he made the right choice. If we're able to land a big fish in free agency and also trade for an all star this summer, then it was probably smart to pass on Butler. Or if Jaylen Brown makes the leap this year to a bona fide rising star and we hit on Tatum, then it was probably smart to pass on Butler.

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 02:24:36 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think this was more of a - we offered a bunch previously, which you refused; we offer this meager allotment now - take it or p--- off - kind of exchange

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 02:25:53 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Jimmy Butler is a nice player, but he wouldn't put us over the top.

Everyone wants to mortgage everything and get veterans because of 2007. But in 2007, we had one of the 10 best players in the league in Paul Pierce, then traded for another of the league's 10 best players in Kevin Garnett. We currently have zero of the NBA's 10 best players, and no one we're talking about acquiring is among the NBA's 10 best players.

PG or KP or JB wouldn't put us over the top. No point in giving up assets for guys who can't move the needle.

For a change, ainge did the smart thing. Hopefully that continues the next few days and he doesn't give up a mint for a guy who has one year left on his deal. If he can be had cheap, great. But if not, no one should forget PG has been unequivocal that he's going to LA.

Great post in terms of comparing 2017 to 2007. I do think a player like Butler or George can be the 2017 version of Ray Allen, but IT isn't as good as Pierce was then and I don't know that there's a deal to be had for the 2017 version of Garnett. Maybe Porzingis could qualify, and then Hayward would have to be the 2017 version of Ray Allen. Then while you still don't have a player currently on the roster that's at Pierce's 2007 level, IT is at least in the same ballpark, you do have Jaylen Brown (who could make a significant leap in year two), a potential rookie of the year candidate in Tatum and Avery Bradley, a player that's better than any of Boston's pre-trade players other than Pierce in 2007.

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 02:26:14 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
Like they are wanting to establish that when they make an offer, it is for a limited time only and cannot be expected to live on and establish trade value etc.

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2017, 02:32:30 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
... but IT isn't as good as Pierce was then and I don't know that there's a deal to be had for the 2017 version of Garnett. ...

Please don't continue to sell IT short. He was on the doorstep of league MVP - much closer than Pierce ever came. And I don't mean that as a dis to Pierce in any way. Just super closeminded how people view what IT has done for this team.

And for everyone that is looking for a 2017 version of KG - apologies, but there is only the KG version of KG ever.

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2017, 03:02:56 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think Butler is a better player than George

I strongly disagree with this assessment.

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2017, 03:30:44 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The Bulls would be less willing to deal Butler within the conference. That's always a factor.

We don't really have a boatload of disappointing young former lottery picks to trade like the T-Wolves do, besides Smart. Our Dunn would have been Brown. That would mean we traded  two top three picks for Butler, which most people would consider more than fair.

If it was only the third pick for Butler, I think the Celtics really think they can get Hayward or Griffin this offseason, and may have thought those players were better fits and didn't want to lose the assets. Or, they think they can get George for less?

We also don't have many bad contracts on the team, making deals hard because we have no "filler."

The 3rd pick in this draft was worth a lot more than the 7th.

All this being said, I think we do need to make some kind of trade. There's just not enough minutes to go around, and potentially we may lose Bradley for nothing. They do need to clear at least some money to make a max offer, so we know that has to happen somehow.

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2017, 03:33:57 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
There's also the offer history - what Boston has already put on the table for Butler and what has been rejected. Plus lottery picks becoming actual numbered draft picks change value, but have already been floated - got to affect bargaining attitudes at least.

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Picks no.7 and no.16 + LaVine and Dunn is not a cheap price. Let them have Butler.

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2017, 09:06:35 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Picks no.7 and no.16 + LaVine and Dunn is not a cheap price. Let them have Butler.

It was 7, lavine and dunn and they got 16 back.

It wasn't that high of a price honestly.  I just don't think Ainge likes Butler that much.  I don't either.  If you could get George or Hayward instead you wait.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford