Author Topic: Just wondering why Butler isn't a Celtic.  (Read 6751 times)

Re: Just wondering why Butler isn't a Celtic.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
It also seems like teams look at Boston's assets and demand a higher price for their players than they do of other teams, assuming Boston will overpay just because they have to asset. Good on Ainge for being patient and waiting for a good deal.

TP .....I wondered the same thing .....seems like they ask twice of Boston as of other teams.  i thought maybe it was just me...LOL

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Does anyone want to pay Butler $200M in a yr or 2?  I sure as hell don't.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 09:37:26 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Don't think Danny valued him as much as people thought. Didn't want to give up the #3 last or this year for him.

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 09:39:16 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Mostly because Ainge overvalues his front offices ability to draft.  And the money

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 09:39:40 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
The Bulls knew the Celtics had a ton of assets and asked for more from the Celtics than they did from other teams.

Philly was going to trade #3 for Butler and when Ainge jumped in and expected the same deal, the Bulls raised the asking price.

DWade will be looking for a buyout by New Year's.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 09:40:07 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Because if you view Hayward as a similarly talented player to Butler, why would you part with assets, those which afford you flexibility both now and in the future when you can potentially secure a similar talent for only cap space?

Despite what many want to believe, Danny is managing this team well and I have no issue with his big picture approach.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 09:41:36 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
It also seems like teams look at Boston's assets and demand a higher price for their players than they do of other teams, assuming Boston will overpay just because they have to asset. Good on Ainge for being patient and waiting for a good deal.

TP .....I wondered the same thing .....seems like they ask twice of Boston as of other teams.  i thought maybe it was just me...LOL

I've wondered this too. There may be something to that, not necessarily because it is boston, but because if a team has the 7th pick and 2 young guys, and that team says "we will give you our 7th pick and our 2 young guys" that sounds more "fair" than a team with the 3rd pick, 2-3 youngish guys and some solid youngish vets on good contracts and a boatload of future picks saying "we'll give you 1-2 guys and 1 pick" even if the packages are "equivalent." I also, however, do acknowledge that it "feels" this way as a Boston fan because we (I) can overrate our own assets and look down on other teams' assets.

I mean, to be fair, I would have still found intrigue with pick #7 in this draft. And to be fair, if we had a guy that had played just 3 seasons, was 22, and came off back to back seasons of >.450 FG%, >.380 3pt %, >.79 FT%, and threw up a 19/3/3.4, we'd be pretty excited about that guy.

And, of course, we don't know what Ainge and CBS know about Griffin, Hayward.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 09:43:35 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
BTW, if we really can add a guy like hayward: age 27-30 seasons, 20/3.5/5.5, good percentages using just capspace...that does not happen often.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 09:44:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Because Danny Ainge is not interested in losing in the ECF while also having no long-term hope.

Yep.

And contrary to someone like George, I don't think Butler is that good of a fit here.

I think Butler is a better player than George, but yes, George is a far better fit on the court.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Cause Butler doesn't Move the needle. He couldn't go superstar and handle a crappy with an s Celtics team.
#JKJB

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 09:49:06 PM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Danny watched him in playoffs and determined he isn't quite as good as advertised.

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
You sign GH and run it back.  We can't afford to lose Bradley or Smart (not IT) and not have four strong swings in (GH, Brown, Tatum and Jae).....Top 8 is deep...we need some bigs!    What we would have used on Butler..Can be used on getting a big.  FLEXIBILITY/ to make moves later by having more picks to tie to a salary.

Not going to lie GH plus KP would be a dream with this squad...

Diggles

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 10:01:17 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Don't think Danny valued him as much as people thought. Didn't want to give up the #3 last or this year for him.

Or he didn't want to hurt his ability to sign a FA who he viewed as a better fit.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 10:01:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The Wolves surprisingly gave up very little for Butler. (LaVine is injured) The C's could have bettered that deal easily. And still had a ton of assets remaining.

That's all I know is we better get Hayward as a FA.
The Celtics equivalent of what the TWolves got him for is Jaylen, Smart, and the #3 pick. Not interested. Not at all.

Makes way more sense for the TWolves than us.

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Because Danny Ainge is not interested in losing in the ECF while also having no long-term hope.

Yep.

And contrary to someone like George, I don't think Butler is that good of a fit here.

I think Butler is a better player than George, but yes, George is a far better fit on the court.

Really? George went toe to toe with Lebron in the Pacers-Cavs series and almost pulled out a game or two for the Pacers. Butler instead disappeared in the Celtics series when the Bulls needed him the most.