Author Topic: Why didn't the Celtics trade the #1 pick for Porzingis straight up?  (Read 2645 times)

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I know we'd lose out on an additional asset but we prob don't have to give up the farm for him. Did we make a trade with Philly to early?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Why didn't the Celtics trade the #1 pick for Porzingis straight up?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 07:24:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Biggest issue I have is that we basically gift wrapped Fultz to Philly.

I don't think Fultz with NYK does much to help that pitiful franchise, but if he becomes a superstar with Philly, and they form a super team in the near future, then dang...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

I don't think Fultz with NYK does much to help that pitiful franchise, but if he becomes a superstar with Philly, and they form a super team in the near future, then dang...
Yea I don't get it already moved on past the depression of that lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
The Knicks are not trading KP. I don't know how it's not obvious at this point.

Phil Jackson is rejecting every offer. If we trade him our entire team and picks he will ask for Danny Ainge's boat. If he gets the boat he will ask for his car.

This entire thing has been a smoke screen designed to try to get the kid into shape.

If we were to get him, we would give up a minimum of #3, LAL18, Jaylen Brown. I think he also wants BRK18. I made an entire thread on this yesterday.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 07:30:39 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
The Porzingis stuff didn't come out until after the trade, I believe. Nobody really knew Phil would be open to trading him at that point.

Granted, Danny didn't also have to make the trade so far out in advance either, so that might be something you could criticize him for.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

Phil Jackson is rejecting every offer. If we trade him our entire team and picks he will ask for Danny Ainge's boat. If he gets the boat he will ask for his car.

This entire thing has been a smoke screen designed to try to get the kid into shape.

Huh? The probably isn't with the kid; the problem is with the pot-smoking, hippie, senile GM who has his heart set on running both Carmelo and Porzingis out of town.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 07:34:07 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
The Porzingis stuff didn't come out until after the trade, I believe. Nobody really knew Phil would be open to trading him at that point.

Granted, Danny didn't also have to make the trade so far out in advance either, so that might be something you could criticize him for.
That's what I'm saying why we did it so early.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 07:35:52 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
A number of NBA execs think he's trying to get fired. Unfortunately for PJ, he's got the worst owner in the NBA who'll be playing with his band when the draft is going on.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

I agree with all that.

It might be possible, if Porzingis is actually available, that he could be had in a trade for the #3, some lesser picks, and some players who would have to be moved in order to make room for Hayward anyway and then if that Lakers pick turns into a top 5 next year, then Ainge will look pretty smart.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:40:25 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Well, Phil only just threw his hissy fit.  Isn't he a little old for a hissy fit?

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
He should have been ours.   :-[.  Oh well, on to Jackson or Tatum.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 01:29:47 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351
I know we'd lose out on an additional asset but we prob don't have to give up the farm for him. Did we make a trade with Philly to early?

Can't see Jackson accepting just the No1 pick for Porzingis to be honest. I'm sure he would have asked for No1, next year's pick as well as Brown and Crowder.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 01:32:56 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Phil also wanted brown and the next year's Brooklyn pick. Danny laughed and hung up

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 01:38:17 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148

If we were to get him, we would give up a minimum of #3, LAL18, Jaylen Brown. I think he also wants BRK18. I made an entire thread on this yesterday.

Phil Jackson's bullstuff works better as a coach  than as a GM. He's not RED!!!

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 02:03:15 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77

Ainge definitely put his stones on the line here. If Tatum doesn't turn out to be the best player in this draft, Danny will have some explaining to do. If that's coupled with us not winning a title (or at the very least being legitimate contenders and having an exciting future to look forward to) in the next five years, Danny could easily be on the hot seat.