Author Topic: Clippers Offered DeAndre Jordan For #3. Celtics (Thankfully) Declined.  (Read 8060 times)

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Just think about the fact that Danny drafted JR Giddens 5 spots ahead of DeAndre in 2008, with the 30th pick. Try not letting that sink in too much with just 2 1/2 hours left until the draft tonight.

I remember going into that draft, that Jordan was the guy I wanted the Celtics to pick because he was supposed to be a project and would fall to early in round 2. I thought he would have been perfect since the team didn't need immediate help and he could develop as Perks backup.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
How old is he and what's his contract?

I'd consider the #7 if they get that from the Twolves based on the answer to the questions above.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I'd consider the #7 if they get that from the Twolves based on the answer to the questions above.

He turns 29 next month.

2017-18   $22,642,350
2018-19   $24,119,025 - Player Option
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77

That's what I was thinking as well with #7. If #7 helps us land Porzingis, that's great. If not, use it to get Jordan.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

He turns 29 next month.

2017-18   $22,642,350
2018-19   $24,119,025 - Player Option

That's a lot of coin for a dude that can't shoot! I'm going back to only worth a mid first.  ;)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not a modern NBA center, can't spread the floor.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Not a modern NBA center, can't spread the floor.

Can Rebound and protect the paint, two things we need. Heckuva defensive unit with him on board

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/877977488869031936?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

NBA Central
@TheNBACentral

The Clippers offered DeAndre Jordan to the Celtics for the #3 pick to draft Josh Jackson but Boston declined. (ESPN)

So I admittedly don't know if this is true, BUT I do believe the Clippers and Celtics have at least talked about the idea (preliminary talks).

But yeah that's ABSURD. DeAndre Jordan in no way is worth a Top-5 pick.

Horrible FT shooter, pure liability late in games (most of 4th quarters), and has an offensive game solely based on dunks. Pass.

Can rebound but THAT'S it. Not worth a Top-5 pick PLUS paying him that salary...

You forgot to mention he's the second best defensive center in the NBA (nod to Rudy Gobert). 

He'd be great on the Celtics since everyone on the team can throw the lob pass.

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
too old now

can't shoot.

meh

He averages more than double the rebounds of our best rebounder.

Don't think he's #3, but shooting isn't the only skill needed to succeed in the NBA.
Effectively D.J. would improve our rebounding by something like 2 rebounds playing 32 minutes a night.  Most of those extra rebounds guys like D.J. get over someone like Horford or K.O. are still rebounded by other Celtics.  The extra rim protection he would provide is being marginalized because centers are not being allowed to stand near the hoop and defend the rim anymore, they are being drug out to the perimeter where they are then exploited mercilessly.  He can't shoot, pass, ball handle, defend the perimeter, he hurts spacing and he cannot make a foul shot to save his life.  The death of unskilled and/or slow big men is real, the only reason they have jobs is because there aren't enough faster more skilled big men to replace them.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/877977488869031936?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

NBA Central
@TheNBACentral

The Clippers offered DeAndre Jordan to the Celtics for the #3 pick to draft Josh Jackson but Boston declined. (ESPN)

So I admittedly don't know if this is true, BUT I do believe the Clippers and Celtics have at least talked about the idea (preliminary talks).

Horrible FT shooter, pure liability late in games (most of 4th quarters), and has an offensive game solely based on dunks. Pass.

Can rebound but THAT'S it. Not worth a Top-5 pick PLUS paying him that salary...

You forgot to mention he's the second best defensive center in the NBA (nod to Rudy Gobert). 
Nerlens noel is better

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

NBA Central
@TheNBACentral

Nerlens noel is better

Nerlen's Noel played 20 minutes a game and averaged 5.8 rebounds last season. 

Comparing the two currently is like comparing Jaylen Brown to Jimmy Butler... Maybe one day Jaylen will be better, but he'd have to average more than 7 points a game to make that happen.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
too old now

can't shoot.

meh

He averages more than double the rebounds of our best rebounder.

Don't think he's #3, but shooting isn't the only skill needed to succeed in the NBA.
Effectively D.J. would improve our rebounding by something like 2 rebounds playing 32 minutes a night. Most of those extra rebounds guys like D.J. get over someone like Horford or K.O. are still rebounded by other Celtics.  The extra rim protection he would provide is being marginalized because centers are not being allowed to stand near the hoop and defend the rim anymore, they are being drug out to the perimeter where they are then exploited mercilessly.  He can't shoot, pass, ball handle, defend the perimeter, he hurts spacing and he cannot make a foul shot to save his life.  The death of unskilled and/or slow big men is real, the only reason they have jobs is because there aren't enough faster more skilled big men to replace them.

I don't agree with that. This year the Celtic's were flat out embarrassing on the boards. I watched game after game where players standing right there watched the ball hit the ground before they grabbed it. There is a real problem with this team having a lack of desire to rebound. Hence why AB who was never a good rebounder this year out of no where becomes one of our best rebounders. He understood someone has to get them!!

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I used to want Jordan - but not anymore.  Unless he's free and cheap.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Rather get Dwight Howard for cheap

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
Anyone want to reenact the phone conversation that doc and Danny had over this proposal? Lol

Ainge: "Where's Jerry...I don't have time for the bull****"