Author Topic: How does the lower $99 Million dollar cap effect us?  (Read 2036 times)

How does the lower $99 Million dollar cap effect us?
« on: June 22, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I believe I read we are now 4-5 mil away from being able to sign a max free agent after the lower cap projection. Before it looked like we'd just trade Rozier/Jackson to offer Griffin/Hayward a full max.

Does this mean we will now be forced to trade Bradley or Crowder as well? This is pretty new info but if someone knows the specifics I'd be very interested to hear.

Re: How does the lower $99 Million dollar cap effect us?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:54:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I believe I read we are now 4-5 mil away from being able to sign a max free agent after the lower cap projection. Before it looked like we'd just trade Rozier/Jackson to offer Griffin/Hayward a full max.

Does this mean we will now be forced to trade Bradley or Crowder as well? This is pretty new info but if someone knows the specifics I'd be very interested to hear.

Because we dropped from #1 to #3, moving Rozier, Jackson, and keeping Yabusele overseas, while letting everyone else walk will maintain max room.  The difference between #1 and #3 in cap space is virtually identical to the amount of max room lost with the cap dropping from $101 to $99 million.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

Because we dropped from #1 to #3, moving Rozier, Jackson, and keeping Yabusele overseas, while letting everyone else walk will maintain max room.  The difference between #1 and #3 in cap space is virtually identical to the amount of max room lost with the cap dropping from $101 to $99 million.

Ok so it's still doable...Sucks that we have to keep Yabusele in euro jail but if that means getting a max FA or not I guess we have to do it.

Also I'd be sad if Rozier left...I think he is an ideal backup PG.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
If it requires us to shed more $, it may force us to add another player to get Porzingis. 

Crowder
Smart?

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Just trade Crowder for a draft pick and you've saved $6.8m this year. Nice player, but not the same defensive force he used to be. Plus if you're signing Hayward, you'll have him starting at small forward with Jaylen Brown backing him up. Sounds fine by me.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 09:17:36 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Just trade Crowder for a draft pick and you've saved $6.8m this year. Nice player, but not the same defensive force he used to be. Plus if you're signing Hayward, you'll have him starting at small forward with Jaylen Brown backing him up. Sounds fine by me.

The problem with such moves is if they don't get a max FA, they have already weakened the team.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

The problem with such moves is if they don't get a max FA, they have already weakened the team.

This is true but I think there is a very good chance that one of Hayward or Griffin will come to us. I'd be very surprised if they both signed elsewhere

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

This is true but I think there is a very good chance that one of Hayward or Griffin will come to us. I'd be very surprised if they both signed elsewhere

I think (if there is no big trade tonight) that the Celtics will move one of those guys for a pick next year once they have a deal in place for the FA they want. 

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Ok so it's still doable...Sucks that we have to keep Yabusele in euro jail but if that means getting a max FA or not I guess we have to do it.

I take it back.  I had a typo in my spreadsheet.  Celtics would be about $250k short.  Mostly depends if cap is truly at $99 million, or like $99.4 million.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

I take it back.  I had a typo in my spreadsheet.  Celtics would be about $250k short.  Mostly depends if cap is truly at $99 million, or like $99.4 million.

If a free agent wouldn't sign with us because we are 250k short of a 30mil per year contract. I don't know if I'd want them in the first place.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

If a free agent wouldn't sign with us because we are 250k short of a 30mil per year contract. I don't know if I'd want them in the first place.

The free agent might look at it the opposite way.  "Are you saying you'd rather have Ante Zizic on your team than me? I'll go to that other team that says I'm their #1 priority."

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 11:32:48 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Remember that max salaries are calculated as a percentage of the cap - so if the cap goes down and/or up, then the amount paid for a max deal will go up/down with it.