Author Topic: Anyone else preparing for no fireworks?  (Read 6906 times)

Re: Anyone else preparing for no fireworks?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I feel fortunate being a Celtics fan.
I expect nothing to happen. They only want to fleece Danny. NY and Chicago won't deal their player, they want greater value, they don't want to rebuild properly.
But I expect some fans will boo the pick (again) and would want Danny to be fired (again).
But I'll be happy (again) at the end of the draft.  8)

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 09:32:47 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I'm prepared for no fireworks. Stay the course, Danny. Stick to to your patient strategy... But what if you were a young engaged man that has a home with his fiancee, joint bank account, and are even beginning to look at beach homes together... You've made it so far by sticking to just this one and you plan to be with this one forever. But then what if Natalie Portman walked by? And Natalie Portman was interested in committing sins together. Would it be so wrong if just once you avoided your strategy of patience and took the once in a lifetime talent? Just forget it ever happened and go immediately back to your patient one at a time romantic relationship? Natalie Portmans don't grow on trees... Just give up the extra assets for Porzingis then go back to being patient... I might not even tell my grandkids about the beach place, but I would exhaust myself attempting not to say "you know, I could've slept with Natalie Portman and no one would've found out because I've been so committed to one woman/strategy. Be a good husband, but if Natalie Portman walks by..."
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 09:36:40 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Would trading down be considered no fireworks?

Because I'm starting to relegate myself to the fact that could very well happen. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Would trading down be considered no fireworks?

Because I'm starting to relegate myself to the fact that could very well happen.

Yep

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 09:48:01 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I'm prepared for no fireworks. Stay the course, Danny. Stick to to your patient strategy... But what if you were a young engaged man that has a home with his fiancee, joint bank account, and are even beginning to look at beach homes together... You've made it so far by sticking to just this one and you plan to be with this one forever. But then what if Natalie Portman walked by? And Natalie Portman was interested in committing sins together. Would it be so wrong if just once you avoided your strategy of patience and took the once in a lifetime talent? Just forget it ever happened and go immediately back to your patient one at a time romantic relationship? Natalie Portmans don't grow on trees... Just give up the extra assets for Porzingis then go back to being patient... I might not even tell my grandkids about the beach place, but I would exhaust myself attempting not to say "you know, I could've slept with Natalie Portman and no one would've found out because I've been so committed to one woman/strategy. Be a good husband, but if Natalie Portman walks by..."

This is hilarious!

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 09:50:02 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Most likely outcome: draft Jackson or Tatum, pursue Hayward in offseason.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 10:03:39 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Definitely.

Fireworks cost money, and although I fail to see the logic of signing Horford and continuing to acquire "assets" you can't possibly deploy without a trade, I expect absolutely nothing short of a draft pick that I hope is Tatum.

Jackson's character concerns me, and when I look at Isaac I see nothing that interests me.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 10:09:10 AM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
Yep. They're gonna draft Tatum. And no trades.. no meaningful ones anyway. They'll probably roll those 2nd round picks forward.. I expect mass disappointment and anger here just like last year.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 10:10:57 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If we stay pat and draft a player at 3, i still expect there to be a trade involving crowder or rozier.

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 10:41:21 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I feel that Ainge is compelled to make fireworks.

Signing Horford for a huge contract and trying to lure a big free agent in Durant backfired last year, but that's all right. It was a good attempt and without the knowledge we have now about Durant, I still think it was the right thing to do. Anyhow the damage of it (losing cap space) can be overcome.

We didn't lose any assets and we made an excellent pick with Brown, which most of us did not foresee. So our future looked even brighter. Trade demands from other teams were so disproportional that I'm glad that Ainge didn't take them for 2nd tier stars.

So a great situation. Playing at a high level, which enables our young guys to learn the game the right way and it also gave us an insight in who is a keeper and who is more expendable. Of course a couple of tough choices were lying in wait, but still the way was definitely up.

Then we get lucky and get the #1 pick, so everything was set to build for the future. And then you just give up the option to draft a future superstar..... Sure we have the LA/SAC pick, but the chance that another prospect of that level will be available with that pick is a huge gamble.

Ainge has to make another move that offsets this loss to still secure a (future) superstar.

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 10:54:13 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm not sure what fireworks means? But I expect them to draft a very good prospect tonight and sing a very good free agent this summer. For me that's as good as it gets. Trading away players and/or picks for someone I'm luke warm on, say Butler than in 2 years we have to pay him $40m a year? That will be 30-35% of the cap I don't even get that. The next CBA needs so much work it's not funny!

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 10:54:51 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553

This is hilarious!

or maybe not!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I've learned my lesson. Not expecting much. Celtics never overpay for players.

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 11:03:50 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think Boston actually has a good chance to move down to select someone that makes no sense.

Or they stay put. I do not believe there will be any trades at all for established players

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I
Don't
Understand
People
On
CelticsBlog

Isn't the #3 overall pick fireworks enough?
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.