Author Topic: Anyone else preparing for no fireworks?  (Read 6925 times)

Anyone else preparing for no fireworks?
« on: June 22, 2017, 08:42:55 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Every year at the draft and FA deadline, I've prepared for something big. There's always been a great "getable" player on the market and we've had the assets to do so. And we've always backed off. Sure, there was IT, but I don't think anybody dreamed of who he'd turn into.

I'm not assessing blame here. I don't know what Danny was or wasn't offered and what the price was. Rather, I'm preparing for eventual disappointment. We'll pick Jackson or Tatum, they'll be fine and we still won't be able to rebound next year.

Preparing for the worst, which is still pretty good. Anything else is upside.

Mike

Re: Anyone else preparing for no fireworks?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:45:37 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
It could be a very quiet draft.... But I think this year DA has more dance partners.. Lots of big names are thrown into trade talks

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:46:24 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Always.   

We only ever here part of the story.   

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I agree...every year we hear all these rumors and nothing happens..i expect same today
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I mean, we already traded away the #1 pick, which is something that happens about once every 15 years.  That's already fireworks in my book.  Look how much the forums have exploded since Saturday.

And signing Horford was also pretty fireworky to my mind.  No, it wasn't Durant, but it was still a huge move.

That said, I do think Ainge figures out how to get Porzingis for #3 plus a player, and then signs Hayward next week.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Yes.

The awful thing about it is that we've been rumored in so many deals (Butler, George, Porzingis, every player in the #1-#8 draft range). So, any time one of those guys has a good game or two next year, it will be fodder for a wave of "Danny screwed up" posts, especially if our guy doesn't light it up.

Which is a shame because wdleehi is right, we will probably learn almost nothing about the real deals that were on the table. I mean, Phil could be holding out for #3, Crowder, and BKN 18 right now.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:05:46 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Last year we had no fireworks draft day and still ended up with Jaylen... I have no problems with getting that exact outcome again, with Zizic coming over... we did have the best record in the EC after all

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The most likely big time player to move is the player that has let it be known he wants to sign with only one team. 

And I am sure it will be for a package the Celtics could easily beat and would if they thought he would stay in Boston. 

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 09:09:53 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No fireworks?
Ainge blew up the factory.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
If no fireworks means having Jayson Tatum at the end of the night I'd be good with that.  However, I do feel that a significant move needs to be made this summer...but it can be FA rather than trade and I'd be fine with that.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I am not prepared but I am expecting it. It seems like the supposed "non-experienced" GM on the West Coast is making fireworks right off the get go and if he somehow lands PG13 for nothing then in what a couple of months he will have made a terrible team into a playoff contender with HUGE future and cap space.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
A firework already exploded.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The most likely big time player to move is the player that has let it be known he wants to sign with only one team. 

And I am sure it will be for a package the Celtics could easily beat and would if they thought he would stay in Boston. 
I think that's the key --> if that player would agree to stay then Danny would be able to get him.  that doesn't seem to be in the cards though with that player seemingly hellbent on going into free agency in 1 year.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 09:25:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I am not prepared but I am expecting it. It seems like the supposed "non-experienced" GM on the West Coast is making fireworks right off the get go and if he somehow lands PG13 for nothing then in what a couple of months he will have made a terrible team into a playoff contender with HUGE future and cap space.
is it really that GM making the fireworks or is it the player laying the groundwork for him with the GM doing little work to make it happen?  If PG13 winds up on the Lakers this year, PG13 gets the 'credit' for making that happen, not Magic.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
is it really that GM making the fireworks or is it the player laying the groundwork for him with the GM doing little work to make it happen?  If PG13 winds up on the Lakers this year, PG13 gets the 'credit' for making that happen, not Magic.

Similar to the Cavs owner getting no credit for Lebron going to Cleveland (twice)