Author Topic: Fess up - your "draft whiff"  (Read 11339 times)

Re: Fess up - your "draft whiff"
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Thought Jerryd Bayless to be a multi time all star by now.

Thought the Nets got the steal of a lifetime when they took Terrence Williams 11th overall in 2009

Thought Jimmer Fredette was a great pick at the time (over Klay Thompson!)

Of course I was bummed out when Royce White didn't fall to the Celtics

Astounded! When Ben McLemore fell to SACTO at 7. Since I really didn't like any of the players ahead of him, I thought the Kings just got the steal of the decade. I think I expected Cousins + McLemore to be the modern Kobe-Shaq by now. LOL.

In 2014, I was convinced the Celtics missed out on a franchise cornerstone in Dante Exum...oopsy daisy!

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2017, 10:45:53 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The 2 players I came into the 2013 draft thinking we absolutely MUST avoid were Kelly Olynyk and Giannis.

I thought PJIII was a massive steal along with sully.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2017, 10:55:58 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't usually feel all that strongly about draft predictions but I did think Noah Vonleh was going to be great.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Me and Bill Simmons on James Young. Still, at that spot everything is a gamble. Another guy I thought would succeed better was Dee Brown. Another guy I thought would do better is Justice Winslow though there's still time on him.

Generally I don't get hung up on any one player so I don't really have draft binkies to whiff on. Everything is so situational in the NBA that often it's the combination of the the player *and* the team that drafts him to make a prediction on future success. Very few guys actually can actually overcome a bad situation to succeed. Then there's injuries and so on.

Another way to look at it is that the best guys out there whiff quite often. If they're looking at these guys 365 days a year and still can't get it right there's no reason for anyone to be too embarrassed about a whiff. Except for Robert Upshaw. Anyone who vouched that we should use a high draft pick to get that head case should feel really, really bad.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:25:02 PM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I was never sold on Kyrie Irving. I remember thinking, the dude has barely played in college - how does anyone know he's any good??? Turns out, pro scouts are professionals who tend to be very good at their job.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2017, 12:05:29 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Beasley I'm still mystified by, somehow he ended up 3" shorter when he got to the NBA.
Ingram and Winslow I was very high on, not so much now.
I would have drafted Bender at 3 last year, and Brown was low on my list.

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
As a Runnin Rebels fan I thought Keon Clark was going to be transcendent...boy I was wrong on that...I was so mad they took some guy named Paul Pierce instead. There was speculation the Keon would go #9 to Dallas and as soon as they did not pick him I thought it's a lock Celts get to pick Keon...LOL
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2017, 01:02:52 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

First, it's actually hard to remember, because we (I) have the luxury of not having to commit, so my memories play tricks on me as to who I really liked over someone else, etc.

For example, Who do I want of Fox/Isaac/Jackson/Tatum? The answer is, whomever's scouting report and stats I have looked at most recently. But who will I remember liking the most in 5 years time? Who would I REALLY pick if I had to commit 100%? Not sure.

Couple of ways to whiff. One is, think of guys you wouldn't have drafted who ended up being good.

Think of guys you would have used a top 5 pick for that ended up not working out.

Think of guys the c's could have had that you would have picked at the C's spot who didn't work out.

Some notables for me:
2016:In all honesty, I think I settled on taking a flyer on Bender. I guess jury is still out.
2013: I remember before the draft, Bennet was a sleeper who I would grab at 4 or 5. Turns out, Cleveland was even higher on him and wronger.
2012: Thought Andrew Nicholson should have been top 10 easy. (I wouldn't have touched Rivers though!)
2011: I wouldn't have used a first rounder on Jimmer...or Kemba. (I thought they'd both flame out).
2010: Xavier Henry was a steal (so I thought)
2009: I liked Thabeet, top 5 pick sounded good. (I did think Hansbrough was a stay away though)
2008: Can't honestly say if I'd have taken beasley or Rose #1. I thought Joe Alexander's rise was warranted.
2007: Gotta say, I was pretty good with this one. Liked Durant 1, Oden 2. Liked horford and Noah and Conley. Did not like Jeff Green. Did not like Yi. I did think the two Wrights were interchangable and should be 5/6 or so. Thought Sean Williams dropped too far.
2006: I was all over Shelden Williams and Adam Morrison being terrible. But I also liked Patrick O'bryant and Shawne Williams. I also wouldn't have been able to decide between Marcus Wiliams, Rondo, and Lowry; thought all should be top 10 picks.
2005: I thought Deron was an overrated reach.
2002: Didn't think Tayshaun would do much. I would have treated him like Kapono (2nd rounder the next year or s)

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Royce White.

Nik Stauskas.

Arnett Moultrie.

Dante Exum.

I'm restricting the conversation to guys I thought the Cs could have gotten or should have taken.

Oh....and the coup de grace....ROBERT SWIFT. I thought he was the next Bill Walton.
Oooooo, good one on swift. I had forgotten my love for him. Add him to my hall of shame.  ;D

Stromile Swift for me. I thought he was as good as Kenyon Martin.

Ron Mercer...Thought he going be next great thing since slice bread

Me too. Loved him at Kentucky. Delighted when he joined the C's. What a disappointment.

Thought Jerryd Bayless to be a multi time all star by now.

Thought the Nets got the steal of a lifetime when they took Terrence Williams 11th overall in 2009

Ditto. I was sure Bayless would excel as a scoring PG next to Brandon Roy. A Ben Gordon type of player at PG.

Loved Terrence Williams too. So much talent. Defense. Ball-handling. Passing. Rebounding. Lousy scorer but he had so much else going for him.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:56:44 PM by Who »

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2017, 04:54:09 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Beasley I'm still mystified by, somehow he ended up 3" shorter when he got to the NBA.
Ingram and Winslow I was very high on, not so much now.
I would have drafted Bender at 3 last year, and Brown was low on my list.

Same with Beasley, thought he'd be an elite scorer in the NBA. Still thought the talent was there, the desire wasn't.

And then there was Xavier Henry. Thought he'd at least be starter/rotation worthy.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2017, 05:00:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wesley Johnson.

I thought this guy was going to be a monster, rather than a role player.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not sure if mentioned, but I was pretty high on Kris Dunn.  Maybe to early to tell if it was a real whiff.
EDIT: Now reading other responses and have to also add:
Justice Winslow
Stanley Johnson (still early, I guess)
Shelden Williams
Greg May - nobody said him yet
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:16:13 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2017, 05:09:52 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I liked Noah Vonleh a lot in the Smart draft class.

Thought he was gonna be a high-floor, quality big.

lol

I REALLY wanted the C's to draft Deyonta Davis with one of our later picks last year, but we traded him to Memphis instead. I was sure he was lottery-level talent.

The GM's must have known something about him, though, cause he barely saw the floor in Memphis.

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Not sure if mentioned, but I was pretty high on Kris Dunn.  Maybe to early to tell if it was a real whiff.

I liked him too.

IMO it is still too early to tell, he might just need to get comfortable. If he ever gets his shot to fall he could be pretty good still.

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2017, 05:11:35 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Cherokee Parks