Trade for Jimmy Butler
2 (3.7%)
Trade for Paul George
1 (1.9%)
Trade for other player not named above
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: June 23, 2017, 07:00:39 AM

Author Topic: The (semi) Official 2017 Draft Prediction Thread  (Read 8123 times)

The (semi) Official 2017 Draft Prediction Thread
« on: June 22, 2017, 07:00:39 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Okay Celtics fans, it's time to make your call and this is the thread to do it in. What does Danny & Co do this evening? Isn't it exciting? There are so many options and none of them really are bad. It's like playing with house money.

There's only a handful who got it right last year. Let's see who gets bragging rights this year.

A tip on the poll above is if you think the Cs will draft Josh Jackson and then do a pick swap, that's a "trade down / draft someone else" choice. If you think I need to adjust the poll, just let me know.

Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Re: The (semi) Official 2017 Draft Prediction Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 07:20:38 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I'm less certain about this year than I was about Jaylen Brown last year. The draft candidates are closer together on the board and the trade deals are more easily achievable and reasonable than they were last year. There are simply more realistic possibilities now than there were last year by a large margin.

As for me, I'm going with Jayson Tatum at this point. I think Danny is enamored with Tatum's offensive game and why shouldn't he be? He's an exceptionally polished scorer with an array of moves rarely seen by even veteran players, decent enough athleticism, good size and he could very well be an ideal 3/4 for the next decade. Pare him with Brown and you've got a potent combination. One is a slasher and the other can post up. Both can shoot from outside. If you want to go big you put them as the 2/3 and watch the other team struggle mightily to deal with them. If you want to go smaller, make them the 3/4 (once Tatum puts on a bit more muscle).

Of course, this prediction could be rendered null within an hour.  :( Not even the FO knows what's going to happen today. Exciting times!

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:40:04 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I want Issac and Dennis Smith Jr. If there's any way we can get #5 and #10 from SAC and get both players, we step away with the two diamonds in the rough 

For the record- Isaac is my prediction; Smith Jr. Is my binkie  ;D
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Like everyone here my brain is going crazy with trade ideas and draft picks. lol I came up with an idea, and not sure where to put it so I'll put it here.

Step 1 call Bird tell him to hold off doing anything for George for about a month.

Step 2 proceed with draft as normal.  Maybe hold the Suns and Knicks hostage for Jackson and squeeze another future pick trading down a spot, and then take Tatum with the 4th pick.

Step 3 trade Crowder (maybe D Jackson if needed?) for a future pick to create max cap space. Don't renounce Kelly.

Step 4 sign Blake Griffin

Step 5 call Bird back and say we can trump the Lakers offer of Randle and the 27th and 28th picks.  Sign and trade Kelly and our own picks in 2018, 20, and 22.  Maybe give them swap rights in the odd years, and some second rounders. If push comes to shove maybe 1 or 2 more immediate assets. That should easily trump the Lakers offer.  Once George is here playing with these other guys he will love it, and not want to leave.

That's it. Lol

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 08:23:14 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
too many options

it was easy , just take Fultz

now its a mess.

Taking Tatum is a safe bet .....he ll be helping by end of season ...like Jaylen did.   

Trade for Zinger .....young and would work nice with Horford

Im NOT for trading down ....we don't need any more non star guards .

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 08:29:51 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Today is my Friday at work. I took tomorrow off for pure Celtics reasons.

I am going to be so useless at work today. I haven't even gone to the office yet and I have no inclination to do any meaningful work. Twitter and Celticsblog will be my job today.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Today is my Friday at work. I took tomorrow off for pure Celtics reasons.

I am going to be so useless at work today. I haven't even gone to the office yet and I have no inclination to do any meaningful work. Twitter and Celticsblog will be my job today.

Living in Europe has its perks.... Just got home to enjoy draft day....

Waking up tomorrow will be a ##### though... The draft is at 02.00 local time :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:52:20 AM by ederson »

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 08:52:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think in the end it's going to be draft and keep Tatum.  Danny will be working the phones like crazy right up to the time the pick is announced but I think in the end no further deals will be made involving that pick. 

if he takes Jackson, I think it's a 50/50 chance it's a pick made for another team as part of a deal.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Funny that I'm the first who thinks that Ainge will pick up Jackson and keep him. I've thought for months that he would be the pick and even after we got #1 I was a little scared that he would take Jackson over Fultz.

And apparently the guy he would take at #3 is the same he would have taken at #1. So that scenario was indeed in play. I can't think of someone else (besides Ball) who could have been in consideration for the nr 1 spot.

There's a lot of talk and rumours, but most times the initial hunch is the right one and nothing out of the ordinary happens. So I stay with Jackson (not that I'm hoping for that btw, I don't like him).

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 10:17:41 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ainge could very well be confused--like the rest of us. He can go in so many directions. One key is if he has a handle on whether he can get Hayward. The only clue is the pic of his kid wearing a Celtic shirt--taken by his mother. Players don't go against their wives wishes. Utah is a very dry place.

If Ainge has a fix on Hayward, then Tatum is redundant, and he's better off signing Jackson or trading the pick for George or Butler. I hesitate on Porzingis, because Phil will probably want more than what's wanted for the other two--it's NY. Plus I don't think Porzingis is the game changer they need.

I think the worst thing Ainge can do is trade down into a place where he takes some obscure kid with a one in a thousand chance to make the team--all just to save $5M. That would be the ultimate irony! Spending years to get high picks, even winning a #1, and then getting rid of them because they are too expensive. Catch-22?

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 10:19:34 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'm going with draft and keep Tatum.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Ainge could very well be confused--like the rest of us. He can go in so many directions. One key is if he has a handle on whether he can get Hayward. The only clue is the pic of his kid wearing a Celtic shirt--taken by his mother. Players don't go against their wives wishes. Utah is a very dry place.

If Ainge has a fix on Hayward, then Tatum is redundant, and he's better off signing Jackson or trading the pick for George or Butler. I hesitate on Porzingis, because Phil will probably want more than what's wanted for the other two--it's NY. Plus I don't think Porzingis is the game changer they need.

I think the worst thing Ainge can do is trade down into a place where he takes some obscure kid with a one in a thousand chance to make the team--all just to save $5M. That would be the ultimate irony! Spending years to get high picks, even winning a #1, and then getting rid of them because they are too expensive. Catch-22?

Oh, I agree wit this. I'm supportive of Danny but if he did this I'd be leading the torch + pickfork crowd.  :)

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I am just relying on Danny to know what he is doing. For some reason I prefer Tatum, I think it's because of his offense and my believe he will make a good tweener (3/4). Which is needed heavily in today's NBA and would be an upgrade over Crowder.

But my gut tells me they will take Jackson! He's the hard nosed tough guy Danny seems to favor.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think we draft and trade Jackson.

If we keep the pick, Tatum.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Unfortunately Danny trades down and picks Smith Jr.