Author Topic: Tatum had Dinner with Brad and Met with Ainge that night  (Read 11817 times)

Re: Tatum had Dinner with Brad and Met with Ainge that night
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Has Ainge ever taken a pick who did not come in for a workout?

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Draft Tatum or Issac

Sign Hayward

Make another minor trade

Let all the dead weight go

Hire Paul Pierce to mentor and work with Tatum and Brown

Let's roll!

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 11:15:23 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551

This is from SportsCenter tonight with Scott Van Pelt Jayson Tatum speaking and I'll quote him.

"You go to Boston, I mean it depends on what time you get there.  You have lunch or dinner, I had dinner with Coach Stevens and I met with Danny Ainge that night.

They put me through a workout the next day, the entire staff was there. I got to see the facility, we talked afterwards, we had a great talk we watch some film after the workout I mean I came to New York I enjoyed myself"

And I I just want to say I've gone full Binky mode, he's the nicest soft-spoken kid lot of composure and class. I'm sure Brad Stevens just absolutely loves him just my opinion.

Nice guys finish Last..or get demolished in 5 games in the ECF by Clev.

lol
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 11:16:55 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't think Zizic worked out last year.

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Tatum has the least upside of anyone in the top five. Please don't let it be him

The problem is that when determining upside, most of you guys just look at athleticism and age and that's it.  If the kid can run and jump like crazy and he's young, then boom - certain future superstar!!!

But lets look at some of impressive players that have come through the NBA over the years.   

Tim Duncan was never a standout athlete - his game was based on intelligence and skill, although his size helped too...and that's why he was able to keep putting up productive seasons well into his late 30's. 

Paul Pierce was never a standout athlete.  He wasn't a bad athlete or a below average athlete, he just wasn't a standout one.  His game was based on size (for his position), strength, skill, and Basketball IQ.  Even as he aged and lost a step or two, his legendary footwork allowed him to create the space he needed to get shots off against some of the NBA's most elite defensive players, on a nightly basis. 

John Stockton and Karl Malone are two other examples.  Malone was a good athlete, but he wasn't running around hitting his head on rims, or running up and down the court like Allen Iverson.  He was a solid athlete, but mainly relied on his skill and strength to be productive, and that carried him to something like 20 years of NBA success - same with Stockton.   

Melo is another - he doesn't seem to have the drive or aggression he once did, but when he was in his prime Melo was arguably THE most devastating and versatile scorer in the NBA.  He could not be defended by anybody, period.  Yet he was never super athletic - just long, strong, and graced with in credible skill and footwork.

Two modern day guys heading in a similar direction are Jabari Parker and Gordon Hayward.  Neither has Wiggins-like athleticism, and yet both are become very good young players based on the fact the fact that they have such good size and skill at their position.

Kobe and MJ as they got older late in their careers had a mere fraction of their former athleticism - and both have gone on record saying that in order to remain effective in their older ages, they needed to beef up and get stronger, train up and get smarter, become more skilled - because when you can't depend on athleticism for an edge most nights, you have to be smarter and more skilled then the next guy.

That is Tatum in a nutshell.  He's not as athletic as guys like Wiggins or Brown or Jackson - but he has a natural offensive talent that is instinctive and cannot easily be taught  He simply knows how to score the ball - straight up.     

Now not all of those guys I just mentioned were ever considered top shelf defensive players.  Melo is always mocked for his defence.  Parker's defence is poor.  Hayward's defensive is average at best.  Pierce was seen as a poor defender early in his career, but seemed to actually get better as he got older due to sheer Basketball IQ.  And similarly, Tatum may not become an elite defensive player - or even a good one.  But I'm confident that he can be a solid one (much like Gordon Hayward has become) without too much trouble, once he gets more experienced. 

I look at guys like Melo (who has never averaged under 20 PPG in his career) and Paul Pierce (who out-dueled Lebron on multiple occasions) and Gordon Hayward (who's really coming in to his own this year) - then I look at the "Tatum lacks upside" argument, and I get confused.  What is upside?  Because if I draft a guy who has the potential to become Melo, Pierce or even Hayward good, then the last thing I am calling that guy is "low potential". 

Jackson on the other hand lacks size and strength for the PF spot, lacks the shooting touch or dribbling skills to play guard.  He's basically stuck at SF - and his offensive game needs a HELL of a lot of work.  You'd probably need to spend years just developing him into a non-liability on offence.  And if / when he looses even a hint of that athleticism his potential drops off like a rock. 

So lack of upsidie?  Hmm, I don't see it.

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Tatum has the least upside of anyone in the top five. Please don't let it be him

Mic drop.

TP.

Literally my sentiments.

Althoguh, I do think if Jackson reaches his potential, he could become an Iggy that actually gets it together. I believe while Iggy was an excellent offensive player early in his career, he really didn't develop his shot. Jackson has the drive, confidence, and attitude to put the hard work in. But time can tell if that ever rings true.

I'm not scared of Parker's injuries. Yes, they are worrisome, but from a standpoint, if the Bucks would be willing to sell him for peanuts. Like one or two late first rounders, I would be okay with meeting their price.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

This is from SportsCenter tonight with Scott Van Pelt Jayson Tatum speaking and I'll quote him.

"You go to Boston, I mean it depends on what time you get there.  You have lunch or dinner, I had dinner with Coach Stevens and I met with Danny Ainge that night.

They put me through a workout the next day, the entire staff was there. I got to see the facility, we talked afterwards, we had a great talk we watch some film after the workout I mean I came to New York I enjoyed myself"

And I I just want to say I've gone full Binky mode, he's the nicest soft-spoken kid lot of composure and class. I'm sure Brad Stevens just absolutely loves him just my opinion.

Nice guys finish Last..or get demolished in 5 games in the ECF by Clev.

Wow, do you ruin Santa Claus for kids too?

Uhhh I don't know if you know this but Santa Claus isn't real

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

He would have taken Embiid if he had dropped to 6.

Sometimes the value is such that you don't worry about that.

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2017, 11:41:33 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

The problem is that when determining upside, most of you guys just look at athleticism and age and that's it.  If the kid can run and jump like crazy and he's young, then boom - certain future superstar!!!

But lets look at some of impressive players that have come through the NBA over the years.   

Tim Duncan was never a standout athlete - his game was based on intelligence and skill, although his size helped too...and that's why he was able to keep putting up productive seasons well into his late 30's. 

Paul Pierce was never a standout athlete.  He wasn't a bad athlete or a below average athlete, he just wasn't a standout one.  His game was based on size (for his position), strength, skill, and Basketball IQ.  Even as he aged and lost a step or two, his legendary footwork allowed him to create the space he needed to get shots off against some of the NBA's most elite defensive players, on a nightly basis. 

John Stockton and Karl Malone are two other examples.  Malone was a good athlete, but he wasn't running around hitting his head on rims, or running up and down the court like Allen Iverson.  He was a solid athlete, but mainly relied on his skill and strength to be productive, and that carried him to something like 20 years of NBA success - same with Stockton.   

Melo is another - he doesn't seem to have the drive or aggression he once did, but when he was in his prime Melo was arguably THE most devastating and versatile scorer in the NBA.  He could not be defended by anybody, period.  Yet he was never super athletic - just long, strong, and graced with in credible skill and footwork.

Two modern day guys heading in a similar direction are Jabari Parker and Gordon Hayward.  Neither has Wiggins-like athleticism, and yet both are become very good young players based on the fact the fact that they have such good size and skill at their position.

Kobe and MJ as they got older late in their careers had a mere fraction of their former athleticism - and both have gone on record saying that in order to remain effective in their older ages, they needed to beef up and get stronger, train up and get smarter, become more skilled - because when you can't depend on athleticism for an edge most nights, you have to be smarter and more skilled then the next guy.

That is Tatum in a nutshell.  He's not as athletic as guys like Wiggins or Brown or Jackson - but he has a natural offensive talent that is instinctive and cannot easily be taught  He simply knows how to score the ball - straight up.     

Now not all of those guys I just mentioned were ever considered top shelf defensive players.  Melo is always mocked for his defence.  Parker's defence is poor.  Hayward's defensive is average at best.  Pierce was seen as a poor defender early in his career, but seemed to actually get better as he got older due to sheer Basketball IQ.  And similarly, Tatum may not become an elite defensive player - or even a good one.  But I'm confident that he can be a solid one (much like Gordon Hayward has become) without too much trouble, once he gets more experienced. 

I look at guys like Melo (who has never averaged under 20 PPG in his career) and Paul Pierce (who out-dueled Lebron on multiple occasions) and Gordon Hayward (who's really coming in to his own this year) - then I look at the "Tatum lacks upside" argument, and I get confused.  What is upside?  Because if I draft a guy who has the potential to become Melo, Pierce or even Hayward good, then the last thing I am calling that guy is "low potential". 

Jackson on the other hand lacks size and strength for the PF spot, lacks the shooting touch or dribbling skills to play guard.  He's basically stuck at SF - and his offensive game needs a HELL of a lot of work.  You'd probably need to spend years just developing him into a non-liability on offence.  And if / when he looses even a hint of that athleticism his potential drops off like a rock. 

Well thought out, thanks, and TP.

But see, it's not just Jackson's superior athleticism that sells me. It's his superior BB IQ.  He just is super engaged at all times on the court.  His brain is wired to always make quick decisions, in the flow of a team game.  Really really impressive.  That is why I like him so much.

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am good with Tatum or Jackson. Think one of those has to be the pick if they keep it.

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 12:00:38 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
No Chipotle? Not a good sign for Tatum.

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 12:04:10 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
In recent years, "athleticism" has become code for "can't shoot," so I'm not all that invested in making sure Danny drafts guys who are "athletic."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Binky is the stupidest reference I've ever heard

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Safer play is Tatum

Player with the biggest upside and potential is Jackson

Wild card is Issac

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2017, 12:07:58 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
No Chipotle? Not a good sign for Tatum.

;D ;D ;D

I can see this becoming a Celtics fan inside joke.

Source: "Celtics interested in drafting Lebron James Jr. with their first round pick."

Me:  "But did he take him to Chipotle though?"

Yes: Okay, we're definitely picking him.      No: We are definitely not even considering him.