Author Topic: Tatum had Dinner with Brad and Met with Ainge that night  (Read 11895 times)

Re: Tatum had Dinner with Brad and Met with Ainge that night
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 05:17:25 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Tatum has the least upside of anyone in the top five. Please don't let it be him
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 06:09:11 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Tatum has the least upside of anyone in the top five. Please don't let it be him

I'm not sure I agree with this. Predicting upside for players is like trying to look at a crystal ball through a welding visor. The picture isn't going to be very clear. When talking about upside the guys Tatum is often compared to are 'Melo and Paul Pierce. If that's his ceiling then I'd say his upside is just fine. Look, I don't expect Tatum to hit the level of those guys but let's not pretend that Tatum has a very limited ceiling. His supposed floor is Rudy Gay and that's not awful.

There's a semi-common theme of Danny's picks and that's most of them (there are exceptions like Rozier) were really highly rated coming out of High School. He snagged Avery Bradley in part because he was the best SG in High School. One of the things he said about Jaylen Brown was his #1 prospect ranking (at one point) coming back in HS. Sully was #2. Even JR Giddens was a McDonald's High School All-American who scored 16 points in that game. That list goes on. It's not the only criteria - or perhaps even a main one - but there's a fairly common theme that Danny likes highly touted HS prospects. Of course the most highly touted HS prospects often become the best college players but there's something about Danny's evaluation process where he looks to see the "trend" of the player.

Tatum was the #1 player coming out of HS last year. Plus he fills a need with this team and he should pair well with Brown. Once Tatum puts on a little more muscle that's a great 3-4 combo and a matchup nightmare on a "big" lineup with them as the 2-3. One's a slasher and the other can post up while both can hit the 3. I love the potential of that combo.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 06:13:55 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Legal Sea Foods?

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 06:27:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I like Tatum as well. Best player in this draft and proved it at Duke. He did everything.

If you can land a Porzingis tho you have to move this pick.

What makes you say that?

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 06:33:49 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Tatum was the #1 player coming out of HS last year.

Not true, he is no higher than 3 on any of this lists.  Where did you get this info?

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/usa-today-high-school-sports-class-of-2016-composite-basketball-recruiting-rankings

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/list/top-25-seniors-high-school-class-of-2016-rankings-college-basketball/jirtltbozu5r1rzzstm5khyzb/slide/22

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2016

https://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/order/true

Now top three is not bad, but this is another example of guys on the board saying stuff because they like a guy that has no basis in fact.

Sorry, my mistake. I probably mixed up him and Giles since both went to Duke. However, he was rated exceptionally high:

#2 overall ESPN
#3 overall Rivals
#3 overall Scout

Thanks for nitpicking!
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 06:51:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

This is from SportsCenter tonight with Scott Van Pelt Jayson Tatum speaking and I'll quote him.

"You go to Boston, I mean it depends on what time you get there.  You have lunch or dinner, I had dinner with Coach Stevens and I met with Danny Ainge that night.

They put me through a workout the next day, the entire staff was there. I got to see the facility, we talked afterwards, we had a great talk we watch some film after the workout I mean I came to New York I enjoyed myself"

And I I just want to say I've gone full Binky mode, he's the nicest soft-spoken kid lot of composure and class. I'm sure Brad Stevens just absolutely loves him just my opinion.

Nice guys finish Last..or get demolished in 5 games in the ECF by Clev.

Tim Duncan might have something to say about that.

If Danny has Tatum and Jackson in the same tier, does he take Jackson due to the potential extra trade opportunities with New York or Chicago?

He would have picked Dunn last year if that were the case and he certainly isn't regretting that one

At least not yet - still early days. 

I'm pleasantly surprised by Brown though - I thought he had quite high upside, but also thought he was very raw and probably wouldn't contribute for a couple of years at least. 

He's surpassed my expectations this season for sure.

Duncan sounded like a ****

But he was a great player

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

I'm not sure I agree with this. Predicting upside for players is like trying to look at a crystal ball through a welding visor. The picture isn't going to be very clear. When talking about upside the guys Tatum is often compared to are 'Melo and Paul Pierce. If that's his ceiling then I'd say his upside is just fine. Look, I don't expect Tatum to hit the level of those guys but let's not pretend that Tatum has a very limited ceiling. His supposed floor is Rudy Gay and that's not awful.

There's a semi-common theme of Danny's picks and that's most of them (there are exceptions like Rozier) were really highly rated coming out of High School. He snagged Avery Bradley in part because he was the best SG in High School. One of the things he said about Jaylen Brown was his #1 prospect ranking (at one point) coming back in HS. Sully was #2. Even JR Giddens was a McDonald's High School All-American who scored 16 points in that game. That list goes on. It's not the only criteria - or perhaps even a main one - but there's a fairly common theme that Danny likes highly touted HS prospects. Of course the most highly touted HS prospects often become the best college players but there's something about Danny's evaluation process where he looks to see the "trend" of the player.

Tatum was the #1 player coming out of HS last year. Plus he fills a need with this team and he should pair well with Brown. Once Tatum puts on a little more muscle that's a great 3-4 combo and a matchup nightmare on a "big" lineup with them as the 2-3. One's a slasher and the other can post up while both can hit the 3. I love the potential of that combo.

if this theory is correct,  josh jackson will be the pick.    dude was the prize of his high school class by far.   somehow he's become underrated.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 08:31:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tatum was the #1 player coming out of HS last year.

Not true, he is no higher than 3 on any of this lists.  Where did you get this info?

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/usa-today-high-school-sports-class-of-2016-composite-basketball-recruiting-rankings

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/list/top-25-seniors-high-school-class-of-2016-rankings-college-basketball/jirtltbozu5r1rzzstm5khyzb/slide/22

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2016

https://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/order/true

Now top three is not bad, but this is another example of guys on the board saying stuff because they like a guy that has no basis in fact.

Sorry, my mistake. I probably mixed up him and Giles since both went to Duke. However, he was rated exceptionally high:

#2 overall ESPN
#3 overall Rivals
#3 overall Scout

Thanks for nitpicking!

Based in your HS theory Ainge should pick Jackson, the consensus no. 1 HS player.

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 08:33:08 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I think if we pick Tatum, we are keeping the pick. If we pick Jackson, we are trading it.

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 08:33:24 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Do we know where he took him to dinner? If it was Chipotle, we know he was serious.

Mike

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
at this point, I think I can live with either Tatum or Jackson being the pick if Danny keeps it.  Tatum should help us on offense  but Jackson seems to be the athletic/high-motor guy Danny's drawn too. 

really wouldn't be surprised if Danny traded down again for #5 & #10 to get Tatum/Isaac and Smith or drop to #4 for Tatum and get a future Miami pick from Phx.

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think if we pick Tatum, we are keeping the pick. If we pick Jackson, we are trading it.
I agree that if he takes Tatum, he's keeping him.  if he takes Jackson, I think there's a 50% chance of a deal where he swaps the pick if the guy he wants is available at that later pick.  (can't see him dropping lower the #4 or #5 in the deal if getting another pick or it could be Jackson's the piece in a trade for a more-established player)

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If Danny has Tatum and Jackson in the same tier, does he take Jackson due to the potential extra trade opportunities with New York or Chicago?

You draft the player you like the best not based on you may trade them.

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 09:09:07 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-jayson-tatum-duke-debate-552b94ebc7e6-552b94ebc7e67

Tatum debate. Interesting and echoes the conversations here.