Author Topic: With D’Angelo Russell & Mozgov are the Nets potentially a playoff team?  (Read 4493 times)

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The Nets were 0-7 in games that Lopez missed last year.  0-9 the year before.  That's not a coincidence. Losing Lopez isn't some minor change for them, and Mozgov/Russell won't replace his production.  The Nets are gonna be BAAAAD next year. 

Sure, if they kidnapped signed a couple of star free agents, maybe they could make a playoff run, but that's about as likely as the Kings making a finals run this season. This is gonna be a team with Jeremy Lin or D'Angelo Russel as it's best player.  It's gonna be fun to see as a Celtics fan.
I'm bitter.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Nets aren't going to sign any major free agents unless it is on an Amir/Zeller type contract (1+1). They are finally reaching the end of the line with these draft picks and will finally get to be selecting for themselves; signing mid-level players to huge multi-year contracts makes no sense for them now.

I suppose there is a chance somebody like Gallinari/Gay/Randolph/Teague/etc wants to get paid max money for a year before testing out free agency again next year, but they would only be doing it for the money and there is always a chance of injury on a 1-year contract.

As has been mentioned, they could also 'absorb' a contract from another team, but said contract would likely need to be expiring and probably wouldn't be the very best player.

So, I agree with everybody else - it is highly unlikely we choose lower than 5th next season.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Now I think what no one is talking about is the possibility of melo going there. Then we have a problem.

Melo isn't gonna waive his NTC to go to the Nets.  He'd hold out for a buyout if the Nets were his only option
I'm bitter.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think they have a decent chance at landing JJ Redick, but even with him I can't see them winning more than 25 games without some major mystery free agent signing.  Maybe Anthony really does love NY and signs there when he gets bought out.  If Redick is there, in that scenario I could see 35 to 40 wins, but that won't be enough.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Um, no. The Nets roster is still the worst in the league.

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Well considering the Lakers had more overall talent and a better coach and they couldn't win anything the answer is no. Maybe they improve a few games but this is a really really bad team

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Now I think what no one is talking about is the possibility of melo going there. Then we have a problem.

Melo isn't gonna waive his NTC to go to the Nets.  He'd hold out for a buyout if the Nets were his only option

Well he made it a point that he wants to stay in NY so we will see.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Well, now that Phil is gone, the NYK remain a much better option than the Nets without the 'toxic' environment. Rose has expressed interest in staying, they have Porzingis, and maybe Noah won't be a total disaster in terms of injury. I don't know what there would be to look forward to in BKN.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Ask yourself.

Are Russell and Mozgov better than Lin and Lopez?
Probably not. Let's take out Lin because of his injuries last season.

Are Russell and Mozgov better than Lopez and Booker?
No.

There's your answer.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
No they suck!

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

The Knicks only won 31 with Carmelo & KP. I doubt the Nets would be much of a threat even if they had Carmelo. Which isn't happening anyway.

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Best GIF reply wins thread?

Not a GIF perhaps, but close enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

;D

Rak

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't see how they are much better than with Lopez.

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
The Nets just picked up D'Angelo Russell and Mozgov. Now, let's say they sign a star free agent or two. Might they then be considered a potential playoff team next year?

I only mention this because many in this group may feel the Nets are simply going to roll over and play dead next season. And, the Celtics will automatically be selecting their lottery pick. That 's not necessarily going to be the case.
i'm sorry, but don't embrace yourself with these topics.

1. the nets suck and they will suck for a better part of the next 5 years
2. russell was the 2nd pick and the lakers got rid of him ASAP. that's telling something
3. mozgov....
4. who in their right mind(a all star, superstar player) would ever consider to sign up for the Nets, the best case scenario for them is like overpaying Iguadala, or Crowder or someone like that.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger