Author Topic: With D’Angelo Russell & Mozgov are the Nets potentially a playoff team?  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
The Nets just picked up D'Angelo Russell and Mozgov. Now, let's say they sign a star free agent or two. Might they then be considered a potential playoff team next year?

I only mention this because many in this group may feel the Nets are simply going to roll over and play dead next season. And, the Celtics will automatically be selecting their lottery pick. That 's not necessarily going to be the case.   

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Best GIF reply wins thread?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Those two are irrelevant.

If they sign two "star" free agents, sure, but even if they have the cap room, would stars choose BRK over other teams?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Very doubtful. Lopez is a better player than both these two (at this stage). I view it as a completely lateral move. They'll be no better or worse, unless they somehow snag a decent FA.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The nets have the worst roster in the league at the moment.

If they make the playoffs it will be purely off the backs of these mystery free agents you allude to.

If you think they've got a chance I'm sure you can bet on it. Vegas will probably give you pretty good odds.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't see the Nets any better after this deal. They even lost the Celtics' no.1. As for the Lakers, they aren't any better this year from the deal, but they got Mozgov off the books for '18, to pay for George. Not that they have ever worried about the luxury tax.  :laugh:

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
When was the last time a team was the worst team in the league, traded their best player for a 21 year old and then turned around and made the playoffs?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
As the roster is right now. They suck, bottom 4 team easy. I'm sure they will try to add talent but they are going to have to take lesser players right now.

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I guess anything is possible.

But the Nets won 20 games last year. 20. The 8th seed won 41. Lopez actually played 75 games, scored 20 ppg for them, was their best player.

I kind of like russell as a solid player with room to grow, but he and Mozgov contributed to a 26 win team.

So you are taking 2 guys (probably not the best guys) from a 26 win team and using them to replace the best player from a 20 win team. Unless they make ridiculous free agency moves, that is not exactly the recipe for gaining 21 more wins.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No star players are signing there, much less two.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The Nets just picked up D'Angelo Russell and Mozgov. Now, let's say they sign a star free agent or two. Might they then be considered a potential playoff team next year?

I only mention this because many in this group may feel the Nets are simply going to roll over and play dead next season. And, the Celtics will automatically be selecting their lottery pick. That 's not necessarily going to be the case.   
seriously, a playoff team?  they'll struggle to win as many games next year as the won this year.

Russell/Mozgov in place of a Brook Lopez that was healthy all season is a step backward in talent.  No FA worth anything is going to sign a deal to play for that dumpster fire.  none.  in fact, without Lopez there, who would draw any decent free agent to play there?  no one.

I've believed right along that the Nets would be giving us top 5 picks during this 3 year stretch.  The only reason I'm hedging my bets that they'll be top 8 next year now is that there seems to be a number of teams that look to be selling off their talent for picks this year or were bad last year and not looking to improve much if at all

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Not even close.

Lopez was by far the Nets best player over their past two miserable seasons, and is the only reason the Nets managed to win 20 games.  Without him they'd be lucky to win 10.  Even as bad as they were, the difference between the quality of play was very noticeable when Lopez was on the court and when he was not.  He also logged almost 500 minutes more for the entire season than any other Nets player.

At this stage of their careers, Lopez is also a far superior offensive player than Russell.  Russell and Mozgov do not fix the Nets' biggest problem, which is their defense.  I also do not see any free agents that would propel the Nets into the playoffs, much less sign with them to begin with.

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Now I think what no one is talking about is the possibility of melo going there. Then we have a problem.

Offline Th3M2n

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
hahahahahahhhhhahaa

Was this a serious question???

HAHAAHAHAHAAAAAAA

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Fat chance.