Author Topic: Ainge considering moving down again  (Read 6705 times)

Re: Ainge considering moving down again
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 08:33:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Colangelo said that the Celtics have been after the Lakers 2018 pick for A YEAR!!

Wow, they must really love the 2018 draft. That's shocking.

The stupid part is we won't even get the pick. Are people realizing there is about a 30% chance we even get the pick? The odds of a pick being any 4 numbers compared to all other numbers is extremely unlikely....
There was a 25 percent chance the Celtics would get the #1 pick this year.  30 percentage chance at a star? I will take it.
I bet it's higher than 30%.  You are talking about the chances of getting any of 4 pick positions, not just the chance of one pick position.  As long as the Lakers don't make the playoffs, and also don't have the absolute worst record, I think the chances MUST be much higher.  I'm just not smart enough to figure it out.

4 chances, 13 lottery spots (subtracting the #1) = 30.7%  ;)

But I agree that the chances are likely much higher if the Lakers don't get PG. If you drop it down to positions 1-9, that bumps it up to 50%.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 08:35:04 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If he takes Smith Jr. it tells me he's not resigning IT. I think Fox will be better than Smith Jr.

Isn't Smith Jr Marcus Smart's little brother in basketball terms. LOL
No, Smith is a freak athlete and can shoot.

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 08:51:41 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I can't wait to see the Thomas - Smith Jr. - Bradley - Rozier - Smart lineup take the floor next season.  It'll be epic.  So much heart!

Same but not sarcastic.

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 09:11:40 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Colangelo said that the Celtics have been after the Lakers 2018 pick for A YEAR!!

Wow, they must really love the 2018 draft. That's shocking.

The stupid part is we won't even get the pick. Are people realizing there is about a 30% chance we even get the pick? The odds of a pick being any 4 numbers compared to all other numbers is extremely unlikely....
There was a 25 percent chance the Celtics would get the #1 pick this year.  30 percentage chance at a star? I will take it.
I bet it's higher than 30%.  You are talking about the chances of getting any of 4 pick positions, not just the chance of one pick position.  As long as the Lakers don't make the playoffs, and also don't have the absolute worst record, I think the chances MUST be much higher.  I'm just not smart enough to figure it out.

4 chances, 13 lottery spots (subtracting the #1) = 30.7%  ;)

But I agree that the chances are likely much higher if the Lakers don't get PG. If you drop it down to positions 1-9, that bumps it up to 50%.

It's really going to depend on whether the Lakers end up bottom 5.

Here are our chances of keeping the pick, by lottery slot:

1: 75%
2: 80%
3: 80%
4: 71%
5: 46%
6: 15%
7: 11%
8: 7%
9: 4%
etc.

Based on the current Vegas odds, it looks like the market expects the Lakers to be better than bottom-5. I think this reflects the likelihood of getting George.

In that case, I think we'd have about a 10% chance at the pick, back of the envelope.

These numbers obviously hinge greatly on what happens over the next couple of weeks. We can make a much more informed assessment then.

The Sixers are projected as a better team as well, and it's hard to imagine them getting worse by 2019 (though it's the Sixers, so you never know). Not good.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
If he takes Smith Jr. it tells me he's not resigning IT. I think Fox will be better than Smith Jr.

Isn't Smith Jr Marcus Smart's little brother in basketball terms. LOL
No, Smith is a freak athlete and can shoot.
This. DSJ is a vastly better prospect than Smart ever was.

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 11:36:10 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Meanwhile, to give you an idea of how surreal this has all become, a coach from yet another team said that if you asked 10 different clubs what Ainge wanted, you’d get 10 different answers. “We call him the minister of disinformation,” he said. “He’s putting a lot of stuff out there.” 5 hours ago –  via Boston Herald