Author Topic: Bulpett: Ainge likes Dennis Smith Jr, Might move down  (Read 14482 times)

Re: Bulpett: Ainge likes Dennis Smith Jr, Might move down
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If he wanted Smith Jr., why not just trade with Sacramento in the first place?  They would have given up more than Philly did.

Mike

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2017, 08:18:15 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
It never ceases to amaze me how little people trust Danny. He is clearly, without question, a top five GM right now.

He knows more than every single one of us here, and will always make a better decision than any of us would make, even if he doesn't bat 1.000.

Some of you are just ridiculous.

There has to be some widespread, clandestine propaganda brainwashing video going around that I don't know about, because there sure are a ton of Danny apologists these days.

By the way, this quote is completely illogical and contradictory. If he doesn't bat 1.000, then, no, by definition he will NOT always make a better decision than us.

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2017, 08:22:38 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Wouldn't upset me at all. Smith is a stud. The comparison to Steve Francis is the most accurate player comparison I've heard in years. He and Jaylen would make this team really fun to watch. Don't see Isaiah or Marcus here long term anyways.

Aye, aside from Fultz I have Smith Jr. as my "player in the draft most easily resembling an elite talent". Its not hard to imagine this guy having at least an Eric Bledsoe like career.

I don't think the talent drop off from Fultz is so severe that they're on different athletic planes and DSJ's on court demeanor blows Fultz out of the water. He'd probably be more apt to accept a bench role learning behind Isaiah, Bradley, and Smart knowing that with hard work and determination he could overtake all of them.

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2017, 08:25:51 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
It never ceases to amaze me how little people trust Danny. He is clearly, without question, a top five GM right now.

He knows more than every single one of us here, and will always make a better decision than any of us would make, even if he doesn't bat 1.000.

There has to be some widespread, clandestine propaganda brainwashing video going around that I don't know about, because there sure are a ton of Danny apologists these days.

By the way, this quote is completely illogical and contradictory. If he doesn't bat 1.000, then, no, by definition he will NOT always make a better decision than us.

You cannot compare him to perfect, which is what you so often do.

The statement is incorrect, yes, but is hyperbole.

The only way anyone on this blog makes a better decision than Danny is through sheer luck.

You, and many others, should really compare Danny to other GM's, and not this idea that anyone will make every correct decision, and you would have a greater appreciation for what we have.

We have an absolutely fantastic GM, and he has more than earned the trust of Celtics fans, yet many here act as if he is an idiot and they could do the job better.

9.75 times out of 10, Danny will make a better decision than anyone on this blog.

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
TP, wayupnorth. 

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2017, 08:30:01 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
If he wanted Smith Jr., why not just trade with Sacramento in the first place?  They would have given up more than Philly did.

Mike
Chance at top 5 2018 lottery pick. I doubt SAC made that offer.

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2017, 08:35:17 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Wouldn't upset me at all. Smith is a stud. The comparison to Steve Francis is the most accurate player comparison I've heard in years. He and Jaylen would make this team really fun to watch. Don't see Isaiah or Marcus here long term anyways.

Aye, aside from Fultz I have Smith Jr. as my "player in the draft most easily resembling an elite talent". Its not hard to imagine this guy having at least an Eric Bledsoe like career.

I don't think the talent drop off from Fultz is so severe that they're on different athletic planes and DSJ's on court demeanor blows Fultz out of the water. He'd probably be more apt to accept a bench role learning behind Isaiah, Bradley, and Smart knowing that with hard work and determination he could overtake all of them.
I agree on DSJ's talent, but not his demeanor. Fultz seemed to me much more down to earth and willing to accept a complimentary role early on. DSJ seems more like a junkyard dog who will think he should be playing immediately.

In any event, since we can't get Fultz now, I'd be all in on trading to #5 and taking DSJ. I think he's going to be very good. IMO, his game doesn't have the holes in it that the forwards we're considering do.

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2017, 08:56:36 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Someone has to get traded. Cannot keep IT, Rozier, Smart, Bradley and Smith Jr. Too many of the same freaking player

Would be beyond disappointing to go from the #1 pick to drafting Smith Jr.

I agree 💯

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2017, 12:05:08 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Getting 5 and 10 would be interesting...agree with above poster Kings would want something else in return...

Getting Isaac at 5 AND Smith would be nice. Wonder in that situation who the Suns take? Tatum? Fox?

While I agree about Isaac, I don't see Smith being available at 10, mainly because both the Knicks and Mavericks, who both need point guards, are high on Frank Ntilikina, with Dallas having scouted him the most extensively, so in the likely event that New York takes him, I don't know how the Mavs could pass on Smith at 9.

Having said all of that, while I do think that Smith is a terrific player and would hardly be shocked to see him blossom in the NBA, I would just prefer to stay away from guys with injuries in terms of picking in the top 10 unless the guy is Joel Embiid, plus, Smith simply quit/gave up on too many plays during the year, according to what I've read, for my taste :-\.

Really, with that knee, the best place for him would be Phoenix, imo, while Boston might be the worst with our "medical staff," lol.  Ugh.

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2017, 12:11:56 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Getting 5 and 10 would be interesting...agree with above poster Kings would want something else in return...

Getting Isaac at 5 AND Smith would be nice. Wonder in that situation who the Suns take? Tatum? Fox?

While I agree about Isaac, I don't see Smith being available at 10, mainly because both the Knicks and Mavericks, who both need point guards, are high on Frank Ntilikina, with Dallas having scouted him the most extensively, so in the likely event that New York takes him, I don't know how the Mavs could pass on Smith at 9.

Having said all of that, while I do think that Smith is a terrific player and would hardly be shocked to see him blossom in the NBA, I would just prefer to stay away from guys with injuries in terms of picking in the top 10 unless the guy is Joel Embiid, plus, Smith simply quit/gave up on too many plays during the year, according to what I've read, for my taste :-\.

Really, with that knee, the best place for him would be Phoenix, imo, while Boston might be the worst with our "medical staff," lol.  Ugh.

He's eerily similar to Steve Francis.  And with that reliance on elite athleticism in a small frame, comes a very high risk package.  I doubt he has much longevity, but he's fun to watch and I hope he ends up in a big but dysfunctional market like NY.  :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:19:11 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2017, 04:09:55 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

The only way anyone on this blog makes a better decision than Danny is through sheer luck.

You, and many others, should really compare Danny to other GM's, and not this idea that anyone will make every correct decision, and you would have a greater appreciation for what we have.

We have an absolutely fantastic GM, and he has more than earned the trust of Celtics fans, yet many here act as if he is an idiot and they could do the job better.

9.75 times out of 10, Danny will make a better decision than anyone on this blog.

I agree. People really underestimate people in position, thinking they will always know better. There's a lot of thought and consideration of numerous factors whenever they make a decision, sometimes they're right, sometimes wrong. If they make a decision after a lot of thought process and careful evaluation and they are wrong and you are right, it doesnt mean you know better. It just means you got LUCKY.

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2017, 04:13:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

He's eerily similar to Steve Francis.  And with that reliance on elite athleticism in a small frame, comes a very high risk package.  I doubt he has much longevity, but he's fun to watch and I hope he ends up in a big but dysfunctional market like NY.  :P

Sounds like a great fit for the triangle, right, lol? ;D

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2017, 05:20:51 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

Well, for starters, let's stop this "compare him to perfection" narrative. That's just nonsensical. No one is holding him to perfection. For example, he's had several "misses" in the draft of All-Stars, such as Butler, Giannis, DJ, IT, etc., all of which were passed by many other GMs, too. Holding him to perfection would be saying that he should've hit on every single one of those. I've never made such a claim, because that's ridiculous, and I'm not sure that I've seen anyone else make that claim either. So this "holding him to perfection" narrative just isn't true or realistic in any way.

Second, you judge me too harsh on Ainge. I actually don't have a problem with his draft moves so far. If his team truly thinks there's not that much difference between 1 and 3, then the trade makes sense. I haven't spent the time scouting the prospects, so I'm fine deferring to their judgments on the matter.

It's the blind faith in Ainge and Brad and the notion that we're not supposed to criticize them because they're some of the better coaches and GMs in the league that I can't stand. It's not contradictory to know that they're some of the best at their respective positions and to still criticize them when they make blameworthy mistakes and/or moves you don't agree with.

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2017, 06:26:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's the blind faith in Ainge and Brad and the notion that we're not supposed to criticize them because they're some of the better coaches and GMs in the league that I can't stand. It's not contradictory to know that they're some of the best at their respective positions and to still criticize them when they make blameworthy mistakes and/or moves you don't agree with.

I think they are both great at their jobs but no one is above criticism, TP.

If anything drafting is the scariest part of Ainge as a GM.   Not that he is super bad at it, but he is not a lockdown expert on it either.   There have  been some bad picks here and there and he is human.   I think he is most dangerous with late picks as he always seems to find value.

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
The Kings already turned down 5 and 10 for 2, so I really don't see them as a viable trading partner (unless it is 5 or 10 and players). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip