Author Topic: Bulpett: Ainge likes Dennis Smith Jr, Might move down  (Read 14534 times)

Re: Bulpett: Ainge likes Dennis Smith Jr, Might move down
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
If this is true (and I hope it is) God bless Danny Ainge.

He's absolutely correct. I just hope he doesn't trade down and someone leapfrogs him taking DSJ.

Seriously? You want him to take another average PG in Smith? Half the [dang] roster would be undersized guards. And you pass on Fultz?

This would be a disaster

Bookmark this post. Come back to it at the end of their rookie contracts. By then I am almost certain DSJ (if he doesn't have injury problems or tear his ACL again) will be one of the best 3 players (if not the best) from this draft. Bookmark it. For real.

Not to toot my own horn but I'm very, very good at ranking prospects. If I would be bothered making a blog and putting the time into it (and if prospects never skipped the combine like this year) my record would be really, really good.

Out of curiosity, who do you think will be the best player from this draft at the end of their rookie contracts? And who do you think we should take at #3?

All this said I absolutely can understand your reluctance to take another guard since our back court is too crowded.

I watched him play this season in several ACC games.  He had one great game at Duke and then freaking disappeared at times.  UVa shut him down and he looked like he didn't even belong on the floor.  He vanished lots of times this season and only seemed to get hot for a few where he got lots of pub for it.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 06:57:40 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
I think that Isaac or Tatum will be the best at the end of their contract. They should take one of those.

I just cannot get excited about another guard..and the 4th best PG in the draft...esp when they have four of those guys on their roster.
IMO, after Fultz, DSJ is the most complete pg in the draft.

Right now Fultz is unquestionably more offensively gifted than DSJ. However DSJ has a higher ceiling.

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 700
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Line up next year

IT, Bradley, Smart, Rozier and Smith Jr.

Second unit 2018 Nets pick, 2018/19 Kings pick, 2018 Celtics pick, 2019 Clips pick, 2019 Memphis pick

There...that combines everything Danny loves...small guards and picks

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 07:10:01 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
If this is true (and I hope it is) God bless Danny Ainge.

He's absolutely correct. I just hope he doesn't trade down and someone leapfrogs him taking DSJ.

Seriously? You want him to take another average PG in Smith? Half the [dang] roster would be undersized guards. And you pass on Fultz?

This would be a disaster

Bookmark this post. Come back to it at the end of their rookie contracts. By then I am almost certain DSJ (if he doesn't have injury problems or tear his ACL again) will be one of the best 3 players (if not the best) from this draft. Bookmark it. For real.

Not to toot my own horn but I'm very, very good at ranking prospects. If I would be bothered making a blog and putting the time into it (and if prospects never skipped the combine like this year) my record would be really, really good.

Out of curiosity, who do you think will be the best player from this draft at the end of their rookie contracts? And who do you think we should take at #3?

All this said I absolutely can understand your reluctance to take another guard since our back court is too crowded.

I watched him play this season in several ACC games.  He had one great game at Duke and then freaking disappeared at times.  UVa shut him down and he looked like he didn't even belong on the floor.  He vanished lots of times this season and only seemed to get hot for a few where he got lots of pub for it.

I'm making that claim of DSJ going off of a lot of different pieces of info and watching him play. The guy essentially has the body of Steph Curry with a longer wingspan.

He has the same stats per 40 mins pace adjusted as Derrick Rose did during his one year at college. Their metrics were different and Rose was better in that department.

Wins per 40 pace adjusted he's almost level with Fultz and that is coming off an ACL injury. He is insanely competitive, is very athletic and has a 48" vertical. He can absorb contact really well.

If he doesn't get injured he'll be at least as good as Fultz by the end of their rookie contracts but I would guess better. In saying that Fultz will probably get rookie of the year since he'll put up numbers in a weak Philly team

But I can see why Ainge traded down since you're getting a player who will be  just as good as Fultz

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I really like DSJ but more prevalent here is that Bulpett is Ainge's personal propaganda mouthpiece.

It's far more likely Ainge wants something from another team for Smith.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 07:18:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I can't wait for the draft to be over.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 07:18:29 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
I really like DSJ but more prevalent here is that Bulpett is Ainge's personal propaganda mouthpiece.

It's far more likely Ainge wants something from another team for Smith.

Trader Danny! Always exciting hahaha

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Danny gets a rep for trading but never does unless it is for picks.

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 07:22:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
You know what folks? I can no longer keep up with this ****. Really.

Has there ever been a more intense, hotly debates, fervently argues 2 weeks on cb than now?

This is great stuff, but even I am getting tired.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Marcus Banks 6.0!

But more seriously, early in the year Smith was being talked about as a possible #1.

I did run this through the Danny Ainge Misdirection/Smokescreen translator and it said this:

"There's another team drafting 4-6 that really wants Dennis Smith, and I'm going to see if they will offer me an insane return for moving up two spots, taking Smith and leaving me with Tatum anyway."

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2017, 07:23:42 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Ray Allen?
Kevin Garnett?
Isaiah Thomas?

"Never does unless it's for picks."

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 07:24:25 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Smokescreen for leverage with the Knicks?
TP! That would be my guess as well.

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 07:26:21 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Ray Allen?
Kevin Garnett?
Isaiah Thomas?

That was like 10 years ago with KG and Ray...since then it has been more about shedding salary and collecting picks...Thomas was a good deal but I don't think ainge even though they would get that lucky

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Ray Allen?
Kevin Garnett?
Isaiah Thomas?

That was like 10 years ago with KG and Ray...since then it has been more about shedding salary and collecting picks...Thomas was a good deal but I don't think ainge even though they would get that lucky
How many other GMs have traded for three players like KG, Ray and IT over the last 10 years? I'll wait.

And why is it "lucky" just because it was a great deal?

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 07:29:58 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1779
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Line up next year

IT, Bradley, Smart, Rozier and Smith Jr.

Second unit 2018 Nets pick, 2018/19 Kings pick, 2018 Celtics pick, 2019 Clips pick, 2019 Memphis pick

There...that combines everything Danny loves...small guards and picks

From your quotes, I take it you were not in favor of the IT deal and still aren't a fan.

Complaining about IT and AB seems a bit ridiculous (the rest of our guards are not small) - one was acquired for a very late first and the other was a mid-late first rounder; they are both on ridiculously value oriented contracts.

You don't have to be a fan of Danny, but, if anything, he has a great eye for guards - whether through the draft or trades.