Author Topic: My Final Big Board  (Read 2948 times)

My Final Big Board
« on: June 21, 2017, 05:28:35 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
So, I've been very outspoken about a lot of my Draft opinions over the last few weeks/months. With all my tinkering done, it seemed only fair to share my final top-10 board with a (long) sentence on each player. I also want this out there so I can complain or celebrate without criticism tomorrow.

1. Markelle Fultz
Near-lock to be an offensive superstar due to his polish as a scorer and passer and his tremendous physical tools, which will hopefully allow him to become an adequate defender as well.

2. Lonzo Ball
Otherworldly basketball IQ, tremendous passing ability, and an unorthodox but effective shot should allow him to become one of the most unique and special talents in the league.

3. Jayson Tatum
Extremely polished scorer with the frame and tools to be an excellent two-way player, and despite his relative struggles as a shooter, his high FT% and willingness to shoot from deep portend relative success down the line, which will allow him to become an elite scorer at the NBA level.

4. Jonathan Isaac
Elite role player masquerading as a potential superstar, Isaac’s potential to be a legit DPOY candidate is far more intriguing and realistic than his shot at traditional superstardom.

5. Josh Jackson
Jackson’s elite competitiveness and athleticism could allow him to develop beyond the do-it-all role player he is now, but he’ll have to seriously rework his shot to find any success on the offensive end (especially in the half court); there are also questions about his defensive potential due to his fairly unimpressive physical profile.

6. Malik Monk
Monk is a freak athlete with a truly elite shot, but he’s an undersized 2 severely lacking in guard skills, so his downside is gunner off the bench, but if his two elite traits translate, he could leave us all wondering how he fell.

7. De’Aaron Fox
I never watched John Wall in college, so De’Aaron Fox is the fastest college player I’ve ever seen, which coupled with his excellent frame will hopefully allow him to overcome the ugliest shot chart I’ve ever seen (form doesn’t look completely broken, though).

8. Dennis Smith Jr.
Smith might have the second-most upside in the entire Draft, but his chance of hitting his ceiling seems low due to an iffy shot, middling facilitating ability, and an extreme reliance on athleticism in a mediocre frame.

9. Lauri Markkanen
It is understated how special of a shooter Markkanen is at his size, as he’s able to shoot off screens like a 7-foot guard, and his overall offensive package is underrated; defensive concerns exist, but the common comparison to Ryan Anderson understates Lauri’s upside.

10. Zach Collins
Collins is proficient at just about everything and is lacking major holes in his game, and while he may be an awkward-looking white guy, he has all the tools to be the perfect modern big and a major steal.

Feel free to share any thoughts, criticisms, or questions!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:58:41 PM by max215 »
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Re: My Final Big Board
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 06:05:29 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Good analysis.  I'm very impressed with how you managed to say so much in just a few sentences about each player.

My English professor would applaud the conciseness with which you wrote this post.  :laugh:

Here's mine:
1.Markelle Fultz
2.Lonzo Ball
3.Josh Jackson
4.De'Aaron Fox
5.Jayson Tatum
6.Dennis Smith Jr.
7.Jonathan Isaac
8.Malik Monk
9.Frank Ntilikina
10.Lauri Markannen

I would love to draft both Tatum and Markannen

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:17:43 PM by CELTICSofBOSTON »

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Good analysis.  I'm very impressed with how you managed to say so much in just a few sentences about each player.

My English professor would applaud the conciseness with which you wrote this post.  :laugh:

Here's mine:
1.Markelle Fultz
2.Lonzo Ball
3.Josh Jackson
4.De'Aaron Fox
5.Jayson Tatum
6.Dennis Smith Jr.
7.Jonathan Isaac
8.Malik Monk
9.Frank Ntilikina
10.Lauri Markannen

Thanks for sharing! I'd say you're slightly higher than consensus on Fox; care to share why?

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
Fox has been climbing the draft boards ever since the end of the tournament (he cooked Lonzo).

He is incredibly fast, athletic, has good size, and has an outstanding head on his shoulders.

He is a good scorer and a terrific leader on the floor.  Has elite potential on the defensive end given his ridiculous lateral speed.  The only thing that concerns me is the jumper.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Fox has been climbing the draft boards ever since the end of the tournament (he cooked Lonzo).

He is incredibly fast, athletic, has good size, and has an outstanding head on his shoulders.

He is a good scorer and a terrific leader on the floor.  Has elite potential on the defensive end given his ridiculous lateral speed.  The only thing that concerns me is the jumper.

I was always a bit higher than consensus on Fox for most of the year, but the post-tourney rise was a bit too much for me. I think he can fix the shot, but right now it's all sorts of ineffective, and point guards have to be able to shoot.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 07:06:34 PM »

Offline Celt1954

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0

Here's mine:
1.Markelle Fultz
2.Lonzo Ball
3.Josh Jackson
4.De'Aaron Fox
5.Jayson Tatum
6.Dennis Smith Jr.
7.Jonathan Isaac
8.Malik Monk
9.Frank Ntilikina
10.Lauri Markannen

Would really like to get those two.  Z. Collins with Tatum would also be a good duo.  Collins is a better defender and rim protector than Markkanen. Great motor and good scorer. 65% Fg and can extend to NBA point range. Didn't shoot many 3's in college but was 10 of 21 for 47%. Also 74% Ft.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 07:28:08 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown

Here's mine:
1.Markelle Fultz
2.Lonzo Ball
3.Josh Jackson
4.De'Aaron Fox
5.Jayson Tatum
6.Dennis Smith Jr.
7.Jonathan Isaac
8.Malik Monk
9.Frank Ntilikina
10.Lauri Markannen

Would really like to get those two.  Z. Collins with Tatum would also be a good duo.  Collins is a better defender and rim protector than Markkanen. Great motor and good scorer. 65% Fg and can extend to NBA point range. Didn't shoot many 3's in college but was 10 of 21 for 47%. Also 74% Ft.

Collins is nice but Markannen might be the best shooting big I've ever seen coming out of college. No exaggeration.

He comes off screens at 7'0 tall.  He is also an underrated athlete.. can put it on the floor, is good not great in the post (not because of lack or skill/ footwork.. mostly lack of strength), is terrific with both hands finishing, and also a pretty solid defensive player (doesn't block shots or get steals but is good switching pick and roll which is huge).

He is also very unselfish and a total team player.  High ceiling/ high floor given his uncanny ability to shoot the three at his size.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 07:51:17 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I think FOX may be the best player out of this class
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Imagine you put Monk's jump shot in Fox's game? Now that's a once in a generation pg prospect.
#JKJB

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Imagine you put Monk's jump shot in Fox's game? Now that's a once in a generation pg prospect.

Essentially flawless.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Essentially flawless.

It would basically be a skinnier Fultz who plays defense, is more athletic, and alot faster hahahah
#JKJB

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 08:07:13 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I think FOX may be the best player out of this class
Fake news.  ;)

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 11:23:05 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Here's mine:
1.Markelle Fultz
2.Lonzo Ball
3.Josh Jackson
4.De'Aaron Fox
5.Jayson Tatum
6.Dennis Smith Jr.
7.Jonathan Isaac
8.Malik Monk
9.Frank Ntilikina
10.Lauri Markannen

Collins is nice but Markannen might be the best shooting big I've ever seen coming out of college. No exaggeration.

He comes off screens at 7'0 tall.  He is also an underrated athlete.. can put it on the floor, is good not great in the post (not because of lack or skill/ footwork.. mostly lack of strength), is terrific with both hands finishing, and also a pretty solid defensive player (doesn't block shots or get steals but is good switching pick and roll which is huge).

He is also very unselfish and a total team player.  High ceiling/ high floor given his uncanny ability to shoot the three at his size.

People obviously know that Markkanen is a great shooter, but I'm not sure most recognize how great. Lauri's going to be one of the best shooters in the NBA. Not one of the best shooters for a big man, but one of the best shooters, period.

DKC Clippers