Author Topic: Draft Isaac / Sign Griffin  (Read 3058 times)

Re: Draft Isaac / Sign Griffin
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Half right, draft Tatum sign Griffin. We get bigger, more scoring and rebounding, btw I believe Griffin would get 10 rebounds a game on the C's.

To me, Tatum is a dime a dozen with limited ceiling. Isaac is not, with high ceiling. Thus my choice. To each their own...

By the way, Kevin O'Connor disagrees with me:

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-jayson-tatum-duke-debate-552b94ebc7e6

With 19 year olds it's so hard to say. They could both be all-stars and/or busts. My worry with Issac is people want to see him as KD but he's not. KD was a scoring machine at that age and unlikely Issac becomes one IMO.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Half right, draft Tatum sign Griffin. We get bigger, more scoring and rebounding, btw I believe Griffin would get 10 rebounds a game on the C's.

To me, Tatum is a dime a dozen with limited ceiling. Isaac is not, with high ceiling. Thus my choice. To each their own...

By the way, Kevin O'Connor disagrees with me:

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-jayson-tatum-duke-debate-552b94ebc7e6

With 19 year olds it's so hard to say. They could both be all-stars and/or busts. My worry with Issac is people want to see him as KD but he's not. KD was a scoring machine at that age and unlikely Issac becomes one IMO.

Agree. I see him more in the KG mold, less in the KD mold. In today's positionless NBA I love that versatility.

If he became half as good as Garnett I'd see that as an excellent pick.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'm honestly not that big on Issac. 

I feel he is a super high-risk prospect who could just as easily end up a superstar or a complete bust. 

The difficulty with Issac is that he has a really solid foundation of skills / talent in that he is CAPABLE of doing a little bit of everything, but there doesn't seem to be all that much he actually excels at.

For example:
* His jump shot is solid, but isn't anything special
* His rebounding is good, but it's not elite
* His perimeter defense is impressive, but he struggles to stop stronger & more physical bigs
* His handle is nice for his size, but he's not likely to break any ankles
* He has pretty poor court feel - not a great passer and seems to struggle with decision making
* He's horribly inconsistent, with his production varying wildly throughout the season
* He's height / length is excellent for a SF but pretty average for a PF

His lack of strength and weight is also a real concern.  I'm not sure if he's got the type of body that will allow him to add much more bulk, and if he doesn't then I think NBA bigs (and even a lot of wings) will eat him alive. 

The plus side is that if he becomes more consistent, adds a bit more muscle, and develops  nicely across all of his skill areas, then he could become the next Clifford Robinson or Lamar Odom.   

My fear is that if he DOESN'T, then he could just as easily become the next Perry Jones or Darius Miles.         

If the planets really align, he could really impress and become a KG type - but I don't think that's likely given his personality (not really an Alpha Dog type) and his inconsistency. 

IMHO I think Issac has higher upside as a two-way player then Tatum does, but Tatum has more upside as a pure scorer. 

However Issac also has much higher bust potential (IMO) compared against Tatum's advanced offensive skills and footwork.  I'd be pretty shocked if Tatum becomes anything less then a Jabari Parker caliber player, and even if he does I think the ABSOLUTE worst case would be Tobias Harris - who is still a solid starter.  Best case is a Paul Pierce or Carmelo Anthony - which I certainly would not complain about.

Isaac is a 3 not a 4

This is actually not true I would say his first position is power forward with his Elite length and size he does need to bulk up a little bit second position would be small forward and as soon as he gained some more weight he will play center in the NBA for sure

He doesn't have elite length at the PF spot though.  At 6'10" with a 7'1" wingspan, he is actually very average in height/length for an NBA PF.  Combine that with his severe lack of muscle and I think he's definitely a SF primarily in the NBA - though he could potentially develop into a natural PF in time. 

I don't think playing center is realistic - I don't think he'll ever likely be capable of that given his build.  I guess we will see though.    Nerlens Noel has struggled to break out as an NBA center - and he is significantly more physically gifted then Issac is (at 7'0" with a 7'4" wingspan and great athleticism).

TP for the excellent analysis.

Issac could be great. He could be Bruno Caboclo or PGIII with a better defensive game.

I don't see the comparisons with KG. KG was so good in HS that he was named Gatorade State Player of the Year in two different states. As a high school senior, Garnett also was named the American Family Insurance ALL-USA Player of the Year. He was joined on the first team that year by Shareef Adbur-Rahim, Vince Carter, Stephon Marbury and Ron Mercer, all of whom played in the NBA. Garnett averaged 26 points, 18 rebounds, seven assists and six blocks a game as a HS senior. Issac doesn't have anywhere near that pedigree.

It's easy to get enamored with Issac's athleticism but I don't see his upside being much higher than Tatum's while his downside is much, much lower.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.