Author Topic: Draft Isaac / Sign Griffin  (Read 3054 times)

Draft Isaac / Sign Griffin
« on: June 21, 2017, 05:24:23 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
If no more trades are made before the draft affecting either the #3 pick or our cap space, this is what I hope happens.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Draft Isaac / Sign Griffin
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 05:28:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I second that.

Isaac is reported to have the most upside (long-term investment).

Griffin fits our needs best short-term.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Pass on Isaac. Maybe on Griffin

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 05:38:38 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Of course I'm influenced by what all the "experts" like Ford and Pelton and everyone else are saying, but I've heard so much about Jackson's horrible shooting form and Tatum's lack of athleticism that I think I'd now be happy with Isaac.  We need a great player at number 3 or else that Philly trade will seem horrible until we see what the future pick will become... and I don't want to see everyone on this blog complaining for a year or two.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 05:53:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Of course I'm influenced by what all the "experts" like Ford and Pelton and everyone else are saying, but I've heard so much about Jackson's horrible shooting form and Tatum's lack of athleticism that I think I'd now be happy with Isaac.  We need a great player at number 3 or else that Philly trade will seem horrible until we see what the future pick will become... and I don't want to see everyone on this blog complaining for a year or two.

I wouldn't be too surprised. Isaac was a wing who grew a lot and is now tall enough to play center (not the body, though). His athleticism is pretty good, but not on Jackson's level and his offense is decent, but not on Tatum's level.

Regardless of who we pick people are going to be disappointed at watching our guy on the bench while Fultz is lighting it up with unlimited playing time in Philly. He will be a favorite for rookie of the year, but that doesn't mean he will have the better career. Just look at another former Philly guard in MCW to prove that.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I'm warming up to Isaac because he can defend multiple positions.

And he doesn't need the ball in his hand to be effective offensively.

Drawback is that he's not very assertive.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I could be sold on Isaac, Tatum or Jackson ....

Trusting the Celts brass to have done the proper research in concert with Brad. Isaac could be the guy.

Griffin, I like  ... but the injury issue is abominable. Clips should have reached at least 2 conference finals by now but he's been hurt so many times inn the playoffs.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 10:03:15 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Can Isaac play the 4 at the NBA level? Thon Maker seemed to do OK, and Isaac is a plus rebounder.

Griffin/Isaac/Yabu
Horford/Zizic

Looks like a nice big rotation on paper. Amir, JJ, and KO are both gone in this scenario..

Not to mention the rotation contains no fewer than 3 rookies.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 10:09:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Isaac is a 3 not a 4

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 10:15:35 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Isaac is a 3 not a 4

This is actually not true I would say his first position is power forward with his Elite length and size he does need to bulk up a little bit second position would be small forward and as soon as he gained some more weight he will play center in the NBA for sure

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 01:02:06 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I'm sold..  Isaac is the best prospect in this draft..  He boards, he can hit the 3, he has a nasty handle, he plays tough, he has quick active hands, excellent defensive footwork, blocks shots, ultra competitive and a high BBIQ.  This dude has the complete package.. (yea he needs plenty of golden Corral trips but hes only 19) 

I honestly think this has been Danny's guy all along.. Everything else seems like smoke.

Griffin's injuries scare the crap out of me though - gotta pass on him.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 02:45:40 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'm honestly not that big on Issac. 

I feel he is a super high-risk prospect who could just as easily end up a superstar or a complete bust. 

The difficulty with Issac is that he has a really solid foundation of skills / talent in that he is CAPABLE of doing a little bit of everything, but there doesn't seem to be all that much he actually excels at.

For example:
* His jump shot is solid, but isn't anything special
* His rebounding is good, but it's not elite
* His perimeter defense is impressive, but he struggles to stop stronger & more physical bigs
* His handle is nice for his size, but he's not likely to break any ankles
* He has pretty poor court feel - not a great passer and seems to struggle with decision making
* He's horribly inconsistent, with his production varying wildly throughout the season
* He's height / length is excellent for a SF but pretty average for a PF

His lack of strength and weight is also a real concern.  I'm not sure if he's got the type of body that will allow him to add much more bulk, and if he doesn't then I think NBA bigs (and even a lot of wings) will eat him alive. 

The plus side is that if he becomes more consistent, adds a bit more muscle, and develops  nicely across all of his skill areas, then he could become the next Clifford Robinson or Lamar Odom.   

My fear is that if he DOESN'T, then he could just as easily become the next Perry Jones or Darius Miles.         

If the planets really align, he could really impress and become a KG type - but I don't think that's likely given his personality (not really an Alpha Dog type) and his inconsistency. 

IMHO I think Issac has higher upside as a two-way player then Tatum does, but Tatum has more upside as a pure scorer. 

However Issac also has much higher bust potential (IMO) compared against Tatum's advanced offensive skills and footwork.  I'd be pretty shocked if Tatum becomes anything less then a Jabari Parker caliber player, and even if he does I think the ABSOLUTE worst case would be Tobias Harris - who is still a solid starter.  Best case is a Paul Pierce or Carmelo Anthony - which I certainly would not complain about.

Isaac is a 3 not a 4

This is actually not true I would say his first position is power forward with his Elite length and size he does need to bulk up a little bit second position would be small forward and as soon as he gained some more weight he will play center in the NBA for sure

He doesn't have elite length at the PF spot though.  At 6'10" with a 7'1" wingspan, he is actually very average in height/length for an NBA PF.  Combine that with his severe lack of muscle and I think he's definitely a SF primarily in the NBA - though he could potentially develop into a natural PF in time. 

I don't think playing center is realistic - I don't think he'll ever likely be capable of that given his build.  I guess we will see though.    Nerlens Noel has struggled to break out as an NBA center - and he is significantly more physically gifted then Issac is (at 7'0" with a 7'4" wingspan and great athleticism). 

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I'm intrigued by his upside, but in this draft there are potentially equal talents with higher floors available at #3.

If his  ball handling and one on one skills were better then maybe... but he's a #7 - #14 value at the moment.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Half right, draft Tatum sign Griffin. We get bigger, more scoring and rebounding, btw I believe Griffin would get 10 rebounds a game on the C's.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 09:17:25 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Half right, draft Tatum sign Griffin. We get bigger, more scoring and rebounding, btw I believe Griffin would get 10 rebounds a game on the C's.

To me, Tatum is a dime a dozen with limited ceiling. Isaac is not, with high ceiling. Thus my choice. To each their own...

By the way, Kevin O'Connor disagrees with me:

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-jayson-tatum-duke-debate-552b94ebc7e6
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:24:31 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)