Author Topic: Idea - Trade Down and Up  (Read 1243 times)

Idea - Trade Down and Up
« on: June 21, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
The Blazers have 3 first but no second rounders to help build depth for cheap.  They'd be the first team I'm calling on draft day.  They own the 15th, 20th, 26th picks, the Celtics own 37th, 53th, 56th.  I'd be aiming for the 20th but would take the 26th.

Blazers Trade
20th or 26th which ever they'd give

Celtics Trade
37th, 53th, 56th

Trade with the Kings if they're dealing the 5th and 10th for the 3rd pick.  Say they really want Jackson.

Celtics Trade
#3 Pick

Kings Trade
#5 Pick
#10 Pick

The next trade is where it could get interesting.  I'm calling both the Phoenix Suns and Orlando Magic. I'm offering up the number 10 pick and the 26th pick.  The Suns don't have a second round pick so maybe they're interested in gaining another pick, since Jackson is gone at 3.  The Magic move down from 6th to 10th and pick up the 26th.

If you make the trade with Sun you end up with the 4th and 5th pick.  With those picks you take
#4 Jayson Tatum
#5 De'Aaron Fox (Thomas, Bradley, and Smart all up for contracts.  Plus not sure how Thomas is going to come back.  I'm a realistic person and taking that into consideration.)

The Magic trade we get the #6 so I take these two.
#5 De'Aaron Fox
#6 Jonathan Isaac

I'm just thinking what's the best for the long term, with either of these two picks, adding Hayward, plus keeping the Brooklyn and Los Angeles picks next year, we're looking good for years to come.  Plus drafting Fox gives us a backup plan for Thomas and letting us keep Bradley and maybe Smart with Fox as the future.  If somehow we don't sign Hayward, make a one year signing for a player like Gallinari.  Then keep building since we'd still have the core together.

Re: Idea - Trade Down and Up
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Huge bummer that you wrote this whole thread on the premise that Sac would trade 5 and 10 for 3 when they would not and have reportedly already turned down 5 and 10 For 2.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Second rounders, especially ones as late as 53 or 56, are worthless. The Blazers aren't gonna trade down from 26 to 37 just for 2 late seconds (which they could buy outright with cash), nevermind all the way from #20.  If anything, they'll be looking to consolidate them to move up or use one in a salary dump deal to get rid of ET or Crabbe's contract

Edit: And 4 for 10 and 26 is also a gross underpay.  A team isn't gonna move back from 4 all the way to 10 just to pick up a late first.  Maybe 10+11 for #4, but not 10+26
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Second rounders, especially ones as late as 53 or 56, are worthless. The Blazers aren't gonna trade down from 26 to 37 just for 2 late seconds (which they could buy outright with cash), nevermind all the way from #20.  If anything, they'll be looking to consolidate them to move up or use one in a salary dump deal to get rid of ET or Crabbe's contract
speaking of, I posted this thread yesterday which gives a general idea of value.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=91812.0

2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
More draft picks is a great idea.

Eventually, Ainge will own them all.

I'm betting that even then, he still won't trade any of them to improve the team.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 04:08:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
no, no. i have a GREAT trade for the celtics to move up in the draft.

call philly and offer them the #3 and a future conditional pick for the overall #1. maybe include the celtics LA pick or something.

get it done danny!!!!!!  ;D

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
More draft picks is a great idea.

Eventually, Ainge will own them all.

I'm betting that even then, he still won't trade any of them to improve the team.

Yeah, we'll probably stuck watching our youth develop while being forced forward to another high lottery pick or 2 and making the ECF.  Why won't Ainge just go all in, and trade the youth/future for a Finals loss to Golden State (or maybe two)? Why oh why?  ::)
I'm bitter.