Author Topic: Let's play the other side for an entire discussion.  (Read 2501 times)

Re: Let's play the other side for an entire discussion.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Yeah that sounds like a great idea. They only asked for #3 pick but you think we should give them 3 players (including a big we stashed for a year) plus 4 picks. How does that make any sense?

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Yeah that sounds like a great idea. They only asked for #3 pick but you think we should give them 3 players (including a big we stashed for a year) plus 4 picks. How does that make any sense?

Remember that I am the Chicago Bulls.....If I am not getting something that is top 5 in 2017 or 2018 then I am asking for quantity of picks.  None of those picks have a great chance to land high in the lottery.  I don't think the ask is unreasonable for Chicago.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 03:53:14 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Remember that I am the Chicago Bulls.....If I am not getting something that is top 5 in 2017 or 2018 then I am asking for quantity of picks.  None of those picks have a great chance to land high in the lottery.  I don't think the ask is unreasonable for Chicago.

Very unreasonable. Zizic is a player we have been waiting for and need. Clippers 2019 could be lottery if they lose all their players this year and rebuild. Memphis 2019 never know with Gasol if he doesn't stay healthy. Way too much IMO.

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 03:59:13 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

Very unreasonable. Zizic is a player we have been waiting for and need. Clippers 2019 could be lottery if they lose all their players this year and rebuild. Memphis 2019 never know with Gasol if he doesn't stay healthy. Way too much IMO.

Memphis 2019 and LA 2019 are protected heavily.  The only way they can be lottery for the Celtics is if both teams miss the playoffs for 2019 and 2020.  If both teams make the playoffs in 2019 or 2020 then we take their pick.  Our own picks will also be very late in the first round.  The Bulls could potentially walk away with zero lottery picks despite acquiring 4 first rounders in a deal with us.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:06:05 PM by Green-18 »

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
With all of the crazy trade rumors out there I think it would be a nice change of pace to play the other side of the fence.  I want to hear what everyone would be looking for from the Celtics if they were fans of the Knicks/Bulls/Pelicans etc.  I will start by giving my take on Jimmy Butler from the Bulls perspective.

If I were rooting for the Bulls then I would be torn on Jimmy Butler.  The idea of settling for anything less than #3 pick or Jaylen Brown just doesn't sound appealing.  The Bulls have a ton of cap space after next season and things can change rapidly if the team competes for a 3-5 seed with Butler next year.  Any trade with Boston needs to result in a potential path towards attaining a young player with All-Star potential.  I also realize that Boston will not give me Brooklyn 18 so it's not even part of my thought process. 

At the same time the current landscape of the NBA makes it impossible for the Bulls to contend in the Butler era.  This position is very difficult to be in.  What deal is reasonable if Boston doesn't give me Jaylen, #3 pick, or Brooklyn 18?  Here is my proposal to the Celtics.  I am taking into consideration the fact that Boston still needs cap space to sign a max free agent.

Chicago trades Jimmy Butler for Terry Rozier, Jae Crowder, Zizic, Boston 2018, Boston 2019, Clippers 2019, and Memphis 2019.  I thought about adding Bradley but I can't imagine that he sticks around on a bad team once he hits free agency.

Why is this deal fair for Boston from the Bulls perspective?  Boston gets Jimmy Butler without sacrificing major cap room for free agency and they keep all of their potential lottery picks for 2018/2019.  The Bulls are taking a risk that the Clippers and/or Memphis assets never materialize into lottery picks.

What do I like about the deal for the Bulls?  Terry Rozier has shown flashes and I like the idea of seeing what he can contribute as a starter for 30+ MPG.  Zizic is another young player that could end up being valuable in the future. The Bulls have their own 2018 pick and this gives them a better shot at tanking for a high lottery pick. (this might be the best part of the deal)  If Memphis and LA stay competitive for the next few years then there is an outside chance that the Bulls get their unprotected picks 3 years down the road.
If I was a Bulls fan I'd want them to trade everyone and tank.

I would see if I could trade Butler for #3 and Bradley then flip Bradley and a future pick for the T-Wolves #7 where I'd select Dennis Smith or Monk.

Dennis Smith+Tatum/Jackson is a good core to start building around.

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 04:09:21 PM »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
LOLLL at op

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
LOLLL at op

Just curious which side you are laughing at.  One person in this thread thinks the trade is awful for Boston and another says Chicago is getting screwed. 

Regardless I would like to remind people that I am not doing anything other than pretending I am Chicago.  I also operated off of the assumption that we turned down Butler for #3.  That would take #3 and Brooklyn 18 off the table.  I never said Ainge would say yes or no to the offer.

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 04:30:19 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

We don't even know what Zizic will be in the NBA. Maybe he's a quality rotation big, maybe he never makes it off the bench. He's an "if"and every other thing you mentioned is an "if". Chicago isn't trading an All-NBA, multiple All-Star for a bag of maybes and a couple of bench/role players.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:57:38 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman