Author Topic: Chad Ford: C's now leaning towards Tatum over Jackson, Jackson declining workout  (Read 23401 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Jackson and his agent want him to be the lead dog on a team. He will not get that in Boston. Therefore neither want to be there.

This is contrary to his style of play. He is extremely unselfish and team oriented. Much more so than Tatum, who is kind of a more ball dominant player.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I have a preference, but I think I see clear core reasons to draft both.  I watched a lot of Jackson and Tatum, and have read many opinions on tons of threads here, learning even more about each guy.  Before we landed #1 I'd have been happy with either, but things change.

Main Reasons for Jackson over Tatum:
-Far more athletic and quick with fast-twitch muscle.
-Better defender, great passer and rebounds well for his position.
-If he shot like Tatum he'd go #1.
-He has huge upside because a shot is easier to develop than athleticism.
-If both he and Tatum reach their full potential, Jackson probably becomes the better player.
-His defense, BBIQ and intangibles should allow him to contribute right away.
-Tatum's lack of top flight athleticism could make it very difficult for him to be dominant.
-For trade purposes, seems to be more league interest in Jackson than Tatum

Main Reasons for Tatum over Jackson:
-He was injured for much of the year so likely he's better than he looked, and that was great.
-Stud offensive player.  I take the shot charts with a grain of salt because Tatum had no PG, many shots were isos and many were made shots college players rarely even try, whereas Jackson's PG was Nat'l Player of the Year and 80% of his non-drive shots were open spot ups.
-Added lots of muscle in a year and likely could play some PF, which would be ideal.
-Less athletic but rebounded like Jackson, and athletic enough to thrive with his skills.
-Very underrated passer.  Jackson gets tons of love for his passing but Tatum isn't far behind.
-No reason to believe he can't become a solid defender if chubby Smart can be elite.
-A full year younger than Jackson but still more polished, seems really cerebral too.

I'd go Tatum.  His offense, ability to play some PF, and his injury and the degree of difficulty of what he achieved vs. Jackson in terms of skills makes him my choice for this team.  If Josh fixes his shot he'll be the better pick, but Kawhi-level improvements in shooting are pretty rare and his good % from 3 is mitigated by the fact that they were mostly all open looks, whereas Tatum's were more contested and he was the guy to stop on Duke.  On Kansas, it was Mason, and Jackson benefited from that.  If we take Jackson I will be ok with it, but I'd go Tatum.

TP

Disagree with the conclusion, but respect the well thought out analysis.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Per Chad Fords podcast
"Josh Jackson has been declining workouts because he wanted to go to the Lakers"

Ughh

Makes no sense since the Lakers pick ahead of us but have not, to anyone's knowledge, made a promise to him.  Irrational reason.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't believe any of this. Jackson is the better pick over Tatum for defense--he's quicker and more athletic. If they sign Hayward, Tatum is redundant. Jackson is the defensive complement.

Not wanting a workout is no reason to reject a kid if he's the better pick. That tells these agents they can pick their teams.

The Hayward signing is critical to the Jackson vs Tatum decision. Not workouts.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I really almost hate Jackson's game. But do see value in him. He is never going to be a good shooter. Ever.

But he is a glue guy. Just think taking a role player ar three. Don't think he is anything more than that.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I don't believe any of this. Jackson is the better pick over Tatum for defense--he's quicker and more athletic. If they sign Hayward, Tatum is redundant. Jackson is the defensive complement.

Not wanting a workout is no reason to reject a kid if he's the better pick. That tells these agents they can pick their teams.

Excellent point. TP.  Jackson the much better fit with Hayward.  If we draft Tatum, would indicate lack of confidence in signing Hayward.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Would be mighty risky to draft someone due to how they might fit with an All-Star free agent we might sign.

You can't make a pick with such assumptions - or at least, you shouldn't.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/877567709621370882

http://twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/877568703402983424

Damage control by Jackson lol

Thanx

Josh Jackson said he wanted to work out for Celtics after they traded down to 3, but couldn't get the scheduling right.
12:43 PM · Jun 21, 2017

Jackson says he's spoken with Jaylen Brown. Says he thinks they would fit well together.

Brown and Jackson dynamite!

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Thanx

Josh Jackson said he wanted to work out for Celtics after they traded down to 3, but couldn't get the scheduling right.

Jackson says he's spoken with Jaylen Brown. Says he thinks they would fit well together.

Im pretty sure that when asked who the toughest player he played against in high school was, Jackson replied "jaylen brown". Browns answer to the same question? "Josh jackson"
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Don't see how tatum and Hayward impact each other.

You take Jackson you are getting another Brown minus shooting potential.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Thanx

Im pretty sure that when asked who the toughest player he played against in high school was, Jackson replied "jaylen brown". Browns answer to the same question? "Josh jackson"

Likely...
We know Danny has picked on Browns brain about all of these prospects

Not that he will draft based on Browns opinion...but you get a view from someone that has played against them in person... This is huge

Brown and jackson dont seem too close.. but per twitter above , are in contact.  At least Jackson will have someone to show him around ...

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Don't see how tatum and Hayward impact each other.

You take Jackson you are getting another Brown minus shooting potential.
Sure but it should be noted that Jackson is a better ball handler, passer, and defender and comes with a much higher bball iq.

Also I honestly don't understand how Hayward effects the decision at all. Pick BPA.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Per Chad Fords podcast
"Josh Jackson has been declining workouts because he wanted to go to the Lakers"

Ughh

Because everyone knows the best way to go to the team with a higher draft pick is to decline workouts with all the teams drafting after that. (Not before, where, you know, it could actually affect what happens.)

Josh Jackson is quite possibly getting the worst advice I have ever seen from a top NBA prospect.