Author Topic: Chad Ford: C's now leaning towards Tatum over Jackson, Jackson declining workout  (Read 23399 times)

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Jackson has zero leverage. It doesn't matter if he declined workouts. If you draft him he's under our control for like 7 years regardless.

His agent doesn't understand having/not having leverage.  Just look at the whole Donatas Motiejunas situation

His agent views the Celtics as a poor option to showcase his talents which is comically untrue. What is more impressive, Putting up 20ppg like Bogdan freakin Bogdonovich on a crap team like the Nets or being a key cog in an ECF/Finals team?

Did Harrison Barnes regret coming off the bench with the Warriors? No. He signed a max with the Mavericks on potential alone.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think it will come down to

Did Tatum address/improve on concerns Celts have about him last season?...does he looks quicker, stronger, 3 pt shot looks good. Etc

Then with how Jackson is behaving...you take Tatum

But if Tatum has not improved in the areas of concern...

Well then Danny and staff  either 1) trade the pick or 2) Take Jackson... If he was considered ahead of Tatum before this whole process started

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
BJ Armstrong is the worst agent I have ever seen in the NBA. With that said, Jackson did chose his agent, so he takes part of the blame.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Not saying that we won't pick Tatum. I get the appeal.  But....

I take absolutely no stock in the report, not that they didn't tell him this, but the veracity of the opinion.  Celtics have nothing to gain by letting the universe know which way they are leaning.
It is GM's job to stir as much possible interest in the pick  as you can. You don't do this by leaking out who you plan to take unless: (i) they are trying to stir up a market for Tatum, which is doubtful, no one else has reported anyone wanting to trade up to get him, or (ii) it's a misdirect where the intent is to draft someone else, probably Jackson, maybe Isaac.

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Sorry but players who believes those type of agents are cupcakes. They are the ones who will leave you for a easier road.
Look at our Jaylen, earn his minutes and make his name in the playoff by contributing nicely as a rookie.

I don't like this Jackson, he could be a knucklehead soon, hope Danny pick Tatum.

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Jackson and his agent want him to be the lead dog on a team. He will not get that in Boston. Therefore neither want to be there.

I'm not sure he'd be the lead dog on any team.  He just doesn't have the shooting to back it up.  He may be another Tony Allen.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Jackson has zero leverage. It doesn't matter if he declined workouts. If you draft him he's under our control for like 7 years regardless.

His agent doesn't understand having/not having leverage.  Just look at the whole Donatas Motiejunas situation

His agent views the Celtics as a poor option to showcase his talents which is comically untrue. What is more impressive, Putting up 20ppg like Bogdan freakin Bogdonovich on a crap team like the Nets or being a key cog in an ECF/Finals team?

Did Harrison Barnes regret coming off the bench with the Warriors? No. He signed a max with the Mavericks on potential alone.
Um, Barnes started 81 games as a rookie playing over 25 mpg.  His second year he only started about a third of their games, though did up his minutes to over 28 (he also came off the bench in the playoffs for 7 games).  He basically started his last two seasons in GS (141 of 148 games were starts).  Outside of the 7 games his second season, he started all but 1 playoff game. 

Minutes matter for development.  A player will reach his potential much faster getting playing time. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Per Chad Fords podcast
"Josh Jackson has been declining workouts because he wanted to go to the Lakers"

Ughh
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Per Chad Fords podcast
"Josh Jackson has been declining workouts because he wanted to go to the Lakers"

Ughh

Makes sense. Maybe Jackson still thinks he is in play for the Lakers to pick him...

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
We would never know... But if instead of Jackson this was Pierce or PG13.... Lakers pick 2 and celtics 3

You guys think they would workout for the Celts?

I wouldnt bet that they would..

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Per Chad Fords podcast

Ughh

Having preferences is fine but sabotaging your own draft status for an unlikely shot at one team who's picking above the teams you're snubbing really hammers home the maturity issues.

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Meh. Jackson and his off court company and behavior should move them to Tatum

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Yeah, I'm pretty far off the Jackson train at this point.

Would be killer if LA actually selected him, though, but that's unlikely at this point. Ball falling to 3 would probably be the key to the Porzingis deal.

It also would be hilarious to see Lonzo's and Lavar's faces on draft night when his name is called for Boston!  ;D

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Per Chad Fords podcast

Ughh

Having preferences is fine but sabotaging your own draft status for an unlikely shot at one team who's picking above the teams you're snubbing really hammers home the maturity issues.

LeBron is running the Cavs and Lakers at the same time.  He probably told Magic that they need Jackson's defense to beat Golden State in 2019.  I despise "The King".

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Per Chad Fords podcast

Ughh

Makes sense. Maybe Jackson still thinks he is in play for the Lakers to pick him...

If he wanted the Lakers to pick him, working out for the Celtics shouldnt stop that. If the Lakers wanted him, there's nothing Boston could do.