Author Topic: Chad Ford: C's now leaning towards Tatum over Jackson, Jackson declining workout  (Read 23266 times)

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Don't hold his agent's actions against him. He's just following some bad professional advice.

The medical records are the important thing. It's hard to take a guy without them.

Yeah. I'm putting this much more on Armstrong than Jackson himself. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I understand you have to do a lot of homework on these kids but I find it odd they don't have a preference yet. Then again I hope they do and keep it to themselves.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Don't hold his agent's actions against him. He's just following some bad professional advice.

The medical records are the important thing. It's hard to take a guy without them.

Agreed,

But at the same time, if the two players are close and you have questions about one player (and there are questions about Jackson) and you cannot even ask those questions, it matters.   

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I understand you have to do a lot of homework on these kids but I find it odd they don't have a preference yet. Then again I hope they do and keep it to themselves.

I wouldn't be shocked if they had made a decision already but are just doing their homework in case of surprises or an opportunity to trade. 

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I have a preference, but I think I see clear core reasons to draft both.  I watched a lot of Jackson and Tatum, and have read many opinions on tons of threads here, learning even more about each guy.  Before we landed #1 I'd have been happy with either, but things change.

Main Reasons for Jackson over Tatum:
-Far more athletic and quick with fast-twitch muscle.
-Better defender, great passer and rebounds well for his position.
-If he shot like Tatum he'd go #1.
-He has huge upside because a shot is easier to develop than athleticism.
-If both he and Tatum reach their full potential, Jackson probably becomes the better player.
-His defense, BBIQ and intangibles should allow him to contribute right away.
-Tatum's lack of top flight athleticism could make it very difficult for him to be dominant.
-For trade purposes, seems to be more league interest in Jackson than Tatum

Main Reasons for Tatum over Jackson:
-He was injured for much of the year so likely he's better than he looked, and that was great.
-Stud offensive player.  I take the shot charts with a grain of salt because Tatum had no PG, many shots were isos and many were made shots college players rarely even try, whereas Jackson's PG was Nat'l Player of the Year and 80% of his non-drive shots were open spot ups.
-Added lots of muscle in a year and likely could play some PF, which would be ideal.
-Less athletic but rebounded like Jackson, and athletic enough to thrive with his skills.
-Very underrated passer.  Jackson gets tons of love for his passing but Tatum isn't far behind.
-No reason to believe he can't become a solid defender if chubby Smart can be elite.
-A full year younger than Jackson but still more polished, seems really cerebral too.

I'd go Tatum.  His offense, ability to play some PF, and his injury and the degree of difficulty of what he achieved vs. Jackson in terms of skills makes him my choice for this team.  If Josh fixes his shot he'll be the better pick, but Kawhi-level improvements in shooting are pretty rare and his good % from 3 is mitigated by the fact that they were mostly all open looks, whereas Tatum's were more contested and he was the guy to stop on Duke.  On Kansas, it was Mason, and Jackson benefited from that.  If we take Jackson I will be ok with it, but I'd go Tatum.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Agreed,

But at the same time, if the two players are close and you have questions about one player (and there are questions about Jackson) and you cannot even ask those questions, it matters.

Oh, certainly.  It can definitely swing things one way.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Tatum is going to be really good, but it kind of feels like Ainge feels as though he's forcing himself into Tatum when he really wants Jackson.

Agreed. But then, I don't think anyone was ever able to force Danny to do anything he didn't want to do. He will make what he feels is the correct decision for the team. If that's Jackson, that's who he will pick.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Jackson has zero leverage. It doesn't matter if he declined workouts. If you draft him he's under our control for like 7 years regardless.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

totally agree.  They have plenty of tape on him.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Agreed,

I don't think they are close, inasmuch as their strengths/weaknesses are so different from one another. I see Jackson as a point forward facilitator who can play multiple defensive positions, and Tatum who is the superior shot creator. 

Brad's opinion may weigh heavily here. Brad was also a reason we traded up to take Kelly in  2013, by the way, so take that with a grain of salt.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Agreed,

I don't think they are close, inasmuch as their strengths/weaknesses are so different from one another. I see Jackson as a point forward facilitator who can play multiple defensive positions, and Tatum who is the superior shot creator. 

Brad's opinion may weigh heavily here. Brad was also a reason we traded up to take Kelly in  2013, by the way, so take that with a grain of salt.

I don't mean close in terms of skill sets, but close in terms of overall value.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Did the agent make these demands on every other team that had him in?  I mean this is just weird.  I understand there is injury risk and I understand there is a playing time problem with Boston that probably didn't exist with other teams, but why make demands on Boston that you don't make on any other team?  Why refuse to give medicals until the last minute?  I can't see the agent doing those sorts of things without Jackson's blessing. I'd avoid Jackson like the plague.  It just doesn't sit well with me.  I hope he takes a fall as a result of this.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'm happy to see that the Celtics received Jackson's medical records. Not too concerned about the individual workout, since Danny and his staff have been scouting these kids for some time now. Having seen Jackson play, the kid is too good to pass up. I think his agent is getting in the way because he is already concerned about Jackson signing a max extension. If the kid is good enough, the playing time will be there. If he shows signs of being a really good player, then he will get max money from somewhere.

I wonder if he as a promise from Phoenix. BTW, if he gets picked by Sacramento, he will fire his agent within two years for not allowing him to workout for Boston.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Jackson has zero leverage. It doesn't matter if he declined workouts. If you draft him he's under our control for like 7 years regardless.

His agent doesn't understand having/not having leverage.  Just look at the whole Donatas Motiejunas situation
I'm bitter.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Good.

Danny must have felt that I have watched a lot of Jayson Tatum videos in the last three days that he didn't want to disappoint.  ;)

In all seriousness, I really like Tatum over Jackson, so this is awesome for me. I just don't think we need another non-shooter when we have Marcus and Jaylen who still haven't figured out their shots.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace