Author Topic: I think Ainge is preserving his assets for next off-season  (Read 3500 times)

I think Ainge is preserving his assets for next off-season
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:02:12 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I know it has become a cliche to say "Ainge is keeping his flexibility for a year from now", but please consider:

- By next offseason, the Pelicans will have had 1.5 years of Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis playing together. Most people agree the Pelicans at the minimum will give it another year with this pairing before blowing it up and even considering trading Davis. They could be really bad next year, especially if they lose Jrue Holiday. (And if keep him, they'll be capped out and incapable of improving the team via free agency.) Ainge targeted a potential Kevin Garnett trade for years and his patience paid off. I'm certain he's taking the same patient approach to Davis.

- The Cavs will probably be dismantled after one more season. There's lots of reports that Lebron has interest in moving out West when his contract is up in a year. I personally think this is now the most likely scenario, especially given the Cavs' dire lack of flexibility and assets to improve their roster beyond next year. In that case, it could leave the Celtics to the rule the East, assuming they can hold off young teams like Milwaukee and Philadelphia. Next year (2017/18) you can compete, but in 2018/19 the path to a title could be much clearer.

- The Celtics will have a chance to re-make their roster in a year. It's going to be decision time with IT next off-season, when he's a free agent. Same goes with Avery Bradley, and Marcus Smart will be a restricted free agent too. This could be the major pivot point between past and future for the C's.

What do you all think? I think this helps explain Ainge's comfort in trading back from #1 to gain another future asset. The Celtics, hopefully by that point with Gordon Hayward or some other big FA in tow, will have a boatload of goodies to throw at Davis or whoever else they choose to target, just at the right time in terms of when to realistically challenge for a title.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Re: I think Ainge is preserving his assets for next off-season
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 09:12:16 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
C's wont have any money next off season. IT will be up for an extension, AB also if they keep him, Smart too?

This is the year it has to happen if we are going to use cap space to acquire a player.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think Ainge just wants to win trades.  He will pull the trigger immediately if he feels he's getting the better of someone and what is best for the team.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
In terms of making a trade? It's possible. But I think that depends on what happens in free agency this summer.

In terms of how the Celtics are approaching the free agent market, I don't think they can wait another year. I don't think its possible for them to retain max level cap room for next summer. If they want to sign an all star, it's now or... not anytime soon.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 09:19:37 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Ainge signs a free agent this summer but does not move any of the picks. Fills out roster to improve yet still not there yet

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:22:49 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
You don't need to guess, Wyc has said it multiple places.   They plan on doing what they did last season.  Sign a free agent if possible and draft a guy in the top 10.   They'll likely just draft next off season.

I'm sure they'll inquire about players if they become available but I wouldn't expect some huge deals to be made.   

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 09:23:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny perserving the picks until

1. Davis is availble in a year or two (or towns or leonard)
2. Then start making moves to acquire key vets like Ray Allen etc

Until this happens...he is just going to draft players(until he strikes gold)  and hope to Detroit Piston his way for championship on the side

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 09:24:43 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Ainge signs a free agent this summer but does not move any of the picks. Fills out roster to improve yet still not there yet

Exactly. I think the C's will absolutely look to use their cap space now, probably in the form of Hayward. I just don't expect them to unload all those picks quite yet.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 09:29:58 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
We aren't going to resign all three of IT, Bradley and Smart next offseason.  Danny is going to trade one of them whether it's now or before the deadline. My guess is waiting for the deadline to see about ITs recovery.

I also think in a "mega deal" for a superstar, teams are asking for smart or Bradley as a piece (unless they go for crowder), so I would think chances are any mega deal happens (and we deal some of our coveted picks) at the same time as we deal one of our three future FA guards, whenever that may be.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:35:49 AM by RLewis35 »

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 09:54:50 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
You don't need to guess, Wyc has said it multiple places.   They plan on doing what they did last season.  Sign a free agent if possible and draft a guy in the top 10.   They'll likely just draft next off season.

I'm sure they'll inquire about players if they become available but I wouldn't expect some huge deals to be made.

That's the smart move. Assuming we draft Jackson or Tatum I'd prefer to sing a big that can rebound. But I'd be happy with Hayward, I think he would signal the end of AB in green.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 10:00:47 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I know it has become a cliche to say "Ainge is keeping his flexibility for a year from now", but please consider:

- By next offseason, the Pelicans will have had 1.5 years of Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis playing together. Most people agree the Pelicans at the minimum will give it another year with this pairing before blowing it up and even considering trading Davis. They could be really bad next year, especially if they lose Jrue Holiday. (And if keep him, they'll be capped out and incapable of improving the team via free agency.) Ainge targeted a potential Kevin Garnett trade for years and his patience paid off. I'm certain he's taking the same patient approach to Davis.

- The Cavs will probably be dismantled after one more season. There's lots of reports that Lebron has interest in moving out West when his contract is up in a year. I personally think this is now the most likely scenario, especially given the Cavs' dire lack of flexibility and assets to improve their roster beyond next year. In that case, it could leave the Celtics to the rule the East, assuming they can hold off young teams like Milwaukee and Philadelphia. Next year (2017/18) you can compete, but in 2018/19 the path to a title could be much clearer.

- The Celtics will have a chance to re-make their roster in a year. It's going to be decision time with IT next off-season, when he's a free agent. Same goes with Avery Bradley, and Marcus Smart will be a restricted free agent too. This could be the major pivot point between past and future for the C's.

What do you all think? I think this helps explain Ainge's comfort in trading back from #1 to gain another future asset. The Celtics, hopefully by that point with Gordon Hayward or some other big FA in tow, will have a boatload of goodies to throw at Davis or whoever else they choose to target, just at the right time in terms of when to realistically challenge for a title.

I think your logic is sound.  The only way we bring in two stars this year is if Danny can land Butler and sign Hayward/Griffin without sacrificing the #3 pick or Brooklyn 18.  I would even include the LA 2018/Kings 2019/Sixers 2019 pick as an asset Ainge values very highly.  Anyways, let's focus on the New Orleans end of things.

Ultimately Anthony Davis is off the table until the Pelicans can see a full season of him paired with Cousins.  I am sure that Ainge believes it's not going to work out.  If things turn out to be a disaster in New Orleans I wouldn't be surprised to hear rumblings about Cousins at next years trade deadline.  All of this could lead to major dysfunction at all levels of their organization.  If Davis gets frustrated then we will be positioned to beat most offers.  The Suns are the only team that scare me.  They have picks and tons of young talent.  Their package of players will align with a full rebuild much better than ours.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 10:01:11 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

And then the decision has to be made next year since IT and Bradley both become FA's. 

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
C's wont have any money next off season. IT will be up for an extension, AB also if they keep him, Smart too?

This is the year it has to happen if we are going to use cap space to acquire a player.

So what? We can get a top FA this offseason (4 years, I remind you) and then we'll decide in 2018. We have the Bird Rights of almost everyone.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 10:41:47 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Danny perserving the picks until

1. Davis is availble in a year or two (or towns or leonard)
2. Then start making moves to acquire key vets like Ray Allen etc

Until this happens...he is just going to draft players(until he strikes gold)  and hope to Detroit Piston his way for championship on the side

I agree 100%
Ainge just wants to keep his options open until a transcendent player becomes available. I think he will try and use caproom on someone like Hayward or Griffin because caproom doesnt use assets.

If he can get someone like Jimmy Butler for a good price without giving up assets that could net a transcendent player down the line like Davis then he'll do it.

I just hope we didn't trade away a transcendent superstar in Fultz.
Transcendent players win championships.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 10:46:14 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Danny is keeiping the secret weapon under wraps during all this trade and the talk mess.

This summer we un leash

The.  Term a NADER

;D