Author Topic: The Real Plan behind the Philly trade  (Read 1328 times)

The Real Plan behind the Philly trade
« on: June 21, 2017, 07:41:07 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I keep reading about assumptions that the #3 pick is intended to be used in a trade. Hearing that the Celtics turned down the #3 for Jimmy Butler makes me think they really want a guy in this draft.

However, they'd still love to have to have an additional trade asset besides the 2018 Brooklyn pick (which they also intend to use on a guy they really like, assuming he's available at that slot).

So they trade their best asset at #1 down to #3 where they think they can still get their guy. Hold on to the 2018 Brooklyn pick to hopefully do the same thing.

The pick from PHI (2018 LAL/2019 SAC or PHI) is the pick they intend to use as a trade asset along with other future picks (Boston 2018, Memphis, LAC etc). Not trading the #3 this year (unless a super deal came up).

I'm starting to think the guy they want is Isaac, viewing him as a young KG type (who was picked 5th in his draft).

This allows them the option of cashing in draft picks (George, Butler), signing free agents (Hayward, Griffin) but also building a young core of high lottery picks with all of the Brooklyn picks (Brown, Isaac, Doncic). If it works out, it's brilliant.

Anyway, just an idea that this is what they are thinking.

Re: The Real Plan behind the Philly trade
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 07:50:43 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think you're right, we're staying in this draft. Reporters get carried away with our intentions every time someone becomes semi available.

I think the only question left is whether we move down again. If our intention is to draft Tatum or Isaac I think there is a very good chance of both being there at 5. The risk is Phoenix picking your guy, but to me at least they seem pretty keen on Fox.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 07:51:11 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
I keep reading about assumptions that the #3 pick is intended to be used in a trade. Hearing that the Celtics turned down the #3 for Jimmy Butler makes me think they really want a guy in this draft.

However, they'd still love to have to have an additional trade asset besides the 2018 Brooklyn pick (which they also intend to use on a guy they really like, assuming he's available at that slot).

So they trade their best asset at #1 down to #3 where they think they can still get their guy. Hold on to the 2018 Brooklyn pick to hopefully do the same thing.

The pick from PHI (2018 LAL/2019 SAC or PHI) is the pick they intend to use as a trade asset along with other future picks (Boston 2018, Memphis, LAC etc). Not trading the #3 this year (unless a super deal came up).

I'm starting to think the guy they want is Isaac, viewing him as a young KG type (who was picked 5th in his draft).

This allows them the option of cashing in draft picks (George, Butler), signing free agents (Hayward, Griffin) but also building a young core of high lottery picks with all of the Brooklyn picks (Brown, Isaac, Doncic). If it works out, it's brilliant.

Anyway, just an idea that this is what they are thinking.

Isaac is a big gamble. He's quite weak and will get pushed around in the NBA....at least for the next two-three years. I still like the pick and is probably the only selection, other than Tatem, that I would be happy with.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:51:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If you were accepting a trade would you have wanted the one or the three?   I think most of us would say one.

This move gave us the cap space to offer more money to a free agent.   The cap hold from one to three may be the difference for us to offer the max.  Ainge also said there is little separation between the top picks in the draft.   He thinks he can still get a top talent or trade the pick at three.

I hope we are trading it for Porzingas with Crowder tossed in because Jackson loves him and we might sign Hayward to fill the slot.   A lot has to go right of course.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 07:54:50 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I like your thinking.

I think the pick is Issac - fits needs and great potential.

I would rather have Tatum - steady, long career, multiple skills.

I definitely stay away from Jackson - We don't need anymore defensive minded, limited offensive players, we have enough of those.

If the pick is Tatum, then sign Griffin. (don't really want Griffin but we need a frontline player)

If the pick is Issac, then sign Hayward. We need players who can play multiple positions, handle the ball and decent shooters.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 08:02:09 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
If you were accepting a trade would you have wanted the one or the three?   I think most of us would say one.

This move gave us the cap space to offer more money to a free agent.   The cap hold from one to three may be the difference for us to offer the max.  Ainge also said there is little separation between the top picks in the draft.   He thinks he can still get a top talent or trade the pick at three.

I hope we are trading it for Porzingas with Crowder tossed in because Jackson loves him and we might sign Hayward to fill the slot.   A lot has to go right of course.

I especially like the Porzingis idea because he's still on a rookie deal.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I really hope Ball falls to 3, so Boston can trade the pick to Phoenix or Sacto and pick up another asset and still get Tatum or Isaac in the draft, plus whatever other asset they get.  I mean I'd love to get Bender and 4 for 3 or 4 + Miami 1st for 3.  Or 5 and 10 for 3.  Or something like that.  I'd probably throw in 37 or the other 2nd's if necessary.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip