Author Topic: This is crazy. Celtics don't want Jackson. Another trade coming?  (Read 12534 times)

Re: This is crazy. Celtics don't want Jackson. Another trade coming?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 05:53:04 AM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
Where does it say that the Celtics don't want Jackson?

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 05:56:27 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Nowhere. It is only said that he refused workout twice.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 06:02:02 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Another trade? You mean other teams. I think this is the same old story. Danny just waits and waits and waits and does NOTHING again just like at the trade deadline. I am not sure what his "super LONG game" is but it is driving me crazy. Lakers are making trades and Philly has our #1 and we are waiting and waiting. Chicago apparently offered Butler for the #3 pick. Didn't Danny a few months ago indicate he would trade a boatload of assets for Butler? What is happening?

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 06:18:22 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Another trade? You mean other teams. I think this is the same old story. Danny just waits and waits and waits and does NOTHING again just like at the trade deadline. I am not sure what his "super LONG game" is but it is driving me crazy. Lakers are making trades and Philly has our #1 and we are waiting and waiting. Chicago apparently offered Butler for the #3 pick. Didn't Danny a few months ago indicate he would trade a boatload of assets for Butler? What is happening?
Butler is not worthing #3 and that's why Danny didn;t do it which is the right move

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 06:18:41 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

How can you say this when he just catapulted all this NBA craziness by trading the #1 pick?

You should realize that the Celtics are involved in nearly every major trade, at least by teams exploring whether there is any interest in the Cs moving picks/players.  How many times do we have to hear Jimmy Butler to Boston?  If they don't want Butler, why does this mean he is doing nothing?

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 06:30:36 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

How can you say this when he just catapulted all this NBA craziness by trading the #1 pick?

You should realize that the Celtics are involved in nearly every major trade, at least by teams exploring whether there is any interest in the Cs moving picks/players.  How many times do we have to hear Jimmy Butler to Boston?  If they don't want Butler, why does this mean he is doing nothing?

Maybe they don't want Butler but what I am saying is do we not want anyone? We moved down from #1 pick to #3 pick. How has that catapulted the NBA craziness? It just so happens that Danny wanted to acquire another pick - another asset. My opinion is that everyone is waiting for "something big" just like at the trade deadline and just like at the trade deadline I feel Danny will do nothing. This may be because he is seeking the wrong player (one that is not available - AD or Zinger) or maybe because he has a "super long game" that we are unaware of. It just seems frustrating to have "all the assets" but never do anything with them.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 06:32:50 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Butler is not worthing #3 and that's why Danny didn;t do it which is the right move

If you think that you're out of your mind.

Fultz is the closest thing in the draft to a surefire star, and [dang]y has pretty much lost any chance of getting him.

Nobody else in this draft is likely to become close to as good as Jimmy Butler.  He's a 24/6/6 guy who also happens to be one of the top defensive wings on the game.   

Tatum MAYBE has the potential to be as good as Butler on offense,  but I don't see him ever being as good defensively.

Chicago, led by Butler,  also have the Cavs a very hard time during the regular season this year..  Despite the fact that the rest of the bulls roster was a mess.   Given that our top obstacle to the finals is Lebron and his Cavs, it is kinda important that Butler has a knack of beating him/them.

Butler is probably the best player that is available to the Celtics this offseason, so you're insane if you think he's not worth #3. 

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 06:32:55 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

It's bizarre. Ainge makes more deals than any other GM in the league but, somehow, has a reputation as a guy who never does anything. I don't get it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 06:38:53 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

It's bizarre. Ainge makes more deals than any other GM in the league but, somehow, has a reputation as a guy who never does anything. I don't get it.

He is trading picks. When will we actually see a player? A lot of people are saying he will deal the #3 pick in some big deal but I don't see it. I hope I am wrong. What confuses me is a few months ago at the deadline I was hearing that he was trying desperately to get Butler and even overpaying. But yesterday all of a sudden the #3 pick alone is too costly for that same player? Is the player worse? We changed our mind? I don't get it.

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 06:42:20 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Lakers are making trades and Philly has our #1 and we are waiting and waiting.

you hate that DA traded the pick but the Lakers are doing so good trading the two years ago no2 pick on a salary dump .........

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 06:43:54 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

He is trading picks. When will we actually see a player? A lot of people are saying he will deal the #3 pick in some big deal but I don't see it. I hope I am wrong. What confuses me is a few months ago at the deadline I was hearing that he was trying desperately to get Butler and even overpaying. But yesterday all of a sudden the #3 pick alone is too costly for that same player? Is the player worse? We changed our mind? I don't get it.
He traded for Isaiah Thomas less than 3 seasons ago. He signed the second best free agent on the market last summer. The same summer he drafted an exciting young prospect #3. Ainge is constantly bringing in new players.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 06:44:46 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Maybe they don't want Butler but what I am saying is do we not want anyone? We moved down from #1 pick to #3 pick. How has that catapulted the NBA craziness? It just so happens that Danny wanted to acquire another pick - another asset. My opinion is that everyone is waiting for "something big" just like at the trade deadline and just like at the trade deadline I feel Danny will do nothing. This may be because he is seeking the wrong player (one that is not available - AD or Zinger) or maybe because he has a "super long game" that we are unaware of. It just seems frustrating to have "all the assets" but never do anything with them.

I think Danny just refuses to make any trade for any player unless it's one that is completely lopsided in his favour to the most rediculous degree.

For example Danny didn't want Fultz and things the guy he'd have taken at #1 will still be there at #3, and so in his mind the trade he did with Philly is completely lopsided - he gets the same player he'd have taken anyway,  and gets another potential top 5 pick thrown in absolutely free.

Any time Danny has to give up anything of any team value,  he seems completely unwilling.

Got example,  the Butler trade.  A anybody who isn't a blind Celtics fan will tell you that #3 for Butler,  straight up,  it's an u underpay of epic proportions.   You're trading a guy who may well be a role player,  for a perennial all star. 

But Danny will look at it a different way.   He'll think that in the absolute best case,  the pick could be a star.   If that happens, then we have a star for $5m a year,  which is better then having a star for $17m a year.   

But that doesn't factor in the the most likely reality that this pick will probably never be as good as Butler...

Who are the last 10 #3 picks?  How many of them are better then Butler?   

Then there's the other factor.   Danny will no doubt try to woo Hayward and Griffin    Get one of those guys on their own,  and we aren't beating Cleveland.   Get one of those guys AND Butler, and we will be in the nba finals.

Who here thinks that trading for Butler ISN'T going to increase the probability of Hayward or Griffin signing here?  I guarantee you it will.   

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 06:56:47 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
First of both of you guys Big333223 and crimson get a TP when I am done typing.

Big - yes he did trade for IT and that turned out great. I am sure he as much as everyone else are over the top surprised at what they got. I doubt he saw that in IT when he traded but kudos for him for doing it.

Crimson - I totally agree about Butler and that would aid in our chance in beating Cleveland AND to improve the desire of one of those players joining our team. The problem is "when" would he do it or will he? I am just confused about the process and worried someone else will get there foot in the door and steal Butler away.

I am not even a big Butler fan but I do know he is good and he would make our team better and more attractive to free agents, etc.

Thanks guys.

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 07:04:12 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

He traded for Isaiah Thomas less than 3 seasons ago. He signed the second best free agent on the market last summer. The same summer he drafted an exciting young prospect #3. Ainge is constantly bringing in new players.

He traded for Thomas because (and only because)  he got him for pretty much nothing.

He signed Horford because there was nobody better willing to sign,
 and he had the cap storage, and didn't have to give anything up to get him.

He drafted Brown #3 because he had the pick,  so may as well use it.

He shies away from any big trades though.   Anything that involves giving up valuable assets, he tends to just not do it.   

The problem is that as a general rule,  you need to give up something nice to get something nice.  You can't get by forever by embarrassing o stupid GMs  who decide to trade excellent assets for loose change.   You can't just keep waiting for the next time to trade two old retirees fit 3 future top 3 picks.   Deals like that just dont come along very often. You need to accept that in order to get better,  sometimes you need to take a risk - sometimes you need to let go of somebody good in order to acquire somebody better.

I'm guessing be probably is holding back on the Butler trade because he knows that in order to do the trade he needs to either:

1. sacrifice Bradley
2. Sacrifice Brown
3. Sacrifice the ability to sign a max free agent
4. Sacrifice #3 pick

They are all nice pieces that are difficult to let go of,  and so I'm sure he'll try to find a way to negotiate a  scenario where he can make the trade without having to e do any of the above, but he can't because there are simple laws of salary matching he has to abide by,  and that means one of those pieces (at least)  needs to go.

So he'll keep pushing and pushing for the bulls to give Butlerv way for scraps,  which they are not going to do,  until eventually some other team makes an offer and gets Butler for a bargain price,  and Danny misses out and comes out looking like an idiot.

The Hornets fir example just got Dwight Howard for nothing.  absolute scraps.  He would have helped our team tremendously and we could have easily beat that offer.   But from what I see Danny just tries to play head games with opposing GMs,  and they get fed up with his garbage and just decide to deal with somebody else...and in the end its the Celtics and their fans that tend to miss out.

Now we all knew,  #3 fir Butler was on the table.   We all know that Ainge COULD have had Butler for the cost of a single #3 pick.  I dont know of any team in history that has gotten a player of butler's calibre,  in his prime,  for that cheap.  Everbody the Wolves got a #1 pick plus other bits for Kevin Love - and Butler is better then love ever was.  But he won't abettor the deal because he wants to keep that cap space.

So when he misses out on Butler because he goes elsewhere,  and he misses out on George because he goes elsewhere,  and he misses out on Hayward because he decides to stay in Utah,  and he missed out on Griffin because he decides to sign elsewhere or return to the Clippers...

Then we can all look back on this moment and remind ourselves that we had Butler right in the palm of our hands...and Danny threw him right back in the pond.

When whatever rookie we draft at #3 is coming off the bench playing 15-20 MPG while Crowder gets destroyed by Lebron we can remeber - we could have had Butler instead of that rookie.

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 07:10:15 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

I think Danny just refuses to make any trade for any player unless it's one that is completely lopsided in his favour to the most rediculous degree.

For example Danny didn't want Fultz and things the guy he'd have taken at #1 will still be there at #3, and so in his mind the trade he did with Philly is completely lopsided - he gets the same player he'd have taken anyway,  and gets another potential top 5 pick thrown in absolutely free.

Any time Danny has to give up anything of any team value,  he seems completely unwilling.

Got example,  the Butler trade.  A anybody who isn't a blind Celtics fan will tell you that #3 for Butler,  straight up,  it's an u underpay of epic proportions.   You're trading a guy who may well be a role player,  for a perennial all star. 

But Danny will look at it a different way.   He'll think that in the absolute best case,  the pick could be a star.   If that happens, then we have a star for $5m a year,  which is better then having a star for $17m a year.   

But that doesn't factor in the the most likely reality that this pick will probably never be as good as Butler...

Who are the last 10 #3 picks?  How many of them are better then Butler?   

Then there's the other factor.   Danny will no doubt try to woo Hayward and Griffin    Get one of those guys on their own,  and we aren't beating Cleveland.   Get one of those guys AND Butler, and we will be in the nba finals.

Who here thinks that trading for Butler ISN'T going to increase the probability of Hayward or Griffin signing here?  I guarantee you it will.

I think the last 10 is unfair comparison since it took Butler 5 years to breakout so here is the list of the #3 since 1980.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/3rd-overall/30509/

Handful of HoFs few All-NBAs plenty of All-Stars

Butler better than most but when you look at the list would you take your chances or do you take the known in Butler where you come out looking wicked smaht 80% of the time?

Glad it's Danny's choice and not mine.
ok fine