Author Topic: Did the Celtics miss out on Dwight Howard?  (Read 6444 times)

Re: Did the Celtics miss out on Dwight Howard?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 09:42:06 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
He doesn't shoot the 3 or defend the perimeter. Centers like him have become useless in the modern nba

This new nba makes a lot of people (who are used to post play centers) uncomfortable and bad mouth Danny, but Danny isn't going to get a non modern center   who can't shoot the 3

Many teams in the NBA still play a style that fits big men like Dwight. This reminds me a lot of when a few of the TOP NFL teams had young bootleg QBs and it was all the rage only way to build in NFL. Trends come and go.
Yeah I really don't get this at all.  Look at the top 15 centers in the league, very few of them stretch the floor.  Look at the top 20 rebounders in basketball, very few of them shoot more than 1 three a game.  This notion that the league is changing is pretty silly.  I mean even Golden State and Cleveland start a center that has no range at all, and Cleveland actually plays him a lot (4th most mpg in both the regular and post season).

I wonder who is in your top 15 centers.

Its not all about shooting. Guys like Bogut are valuable to modern teams because they can set good screens and pass. Others can defend the PNR pretty well. Others shoot.

Dwight does none of these things well. Plus guys like that dont play starter minutes, and are benched come crunch time. DO you really wanna be paying Dwight Howard to play less than 24 minutes? If it was for the minimum, sure. But at his price no way.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 10:07:35 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Did the Celtics miss out on Bellinelli?

Come on...

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
He doesn't shoot the 3 or defend the perimeter. Centers like him have become useless in the modern nba

This new nba makes a lot of people (who are used to post play centers) uncomfortable and bad mouth Danny, but Danny isn't going to get a non modern center   who can't shoot the 3

Many teams in the NBA still play a style that fits big men like Dwight. This reminds me a lot of when a few of the TOP NFL teams had young bootleg QBs and it was all the rage only way to build in NFL. Trends come and go.
Yeah I really don't get this at all.  Look at the top 15 centers in the league, very few of them stretch the floor.  Look at the top 20 rebounders in basketball, very few of them shoot more than 1 three a game.  This notion that the league is changing is pretty silly.  I mean even Golden State and Cleveland start a center that has no range at all, and Cleveland actually plays him a lot (4th most mpg in both the regular and post season).

Its not all about shooting. Guys like Bogut are valuable to modern teams because they can set good screens and pass. Others can defend the PNR pretty well. Others shoot.

Dwight does none of these things well. Plus guys like that dont play starter minutes, and are benched come crunch time. DO you really wanna be paying Dwight Howard to play less than 24 minutes? If it was for the minimum, sure. But at his price no way.
I'd go

Gobert
Cousins
Gasol
Horford
Jordan
Whiteside
Towns
Embiid
Adams
Thompson
Drummond
Turner
Lopez
Vucevic
Valunciunas

That's just off the top of my head. Maybe I'd move some guys around.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 10:20:34 AM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Would you really want that big, selfish doofus taking up $24 mill in cap space this year? Pretty sure that means no free agents and no big trades, which would most likely kill several of the posters on this forum.

Can't miss out on something you never wanted to begin with.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
no. He is a cancer

Danny would love to have had Howard. They weren't interested because they need cap space.
Its all about the free agents: Hayward, Griffin-this summer or about Butler,George now.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 11:13:28 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
No way - not if was playing for free and if we could get him for free

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
My oh my how his career has plummeted since leaving Orlando.

Never had the right attitude to be a leader.

strange huh? ran off from orlando to the fakers, rockets and now he is one and done with the hawks just like in LA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
My oh my how his career has plummeted since leaving Orlando.

Never had the right attitude to be a leader.

strange huh? ran off from orlando to the fakers, rockets and now he is one and done with the hawks just like in LA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cs fans were happy when he spurned the Lakers for Houston but in hindsight signing a Bird Rights max with them would've been a lot worse for them.

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 07:25:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Gobert
Cousins
Gasol
Horford

Jordan
Whiteside
Towns
Embiid

Adams
Thompson
Drummond
Turner
Lopez

Vucevic
Valunciunas
7 of your top 15 centers shoot 3's. 6 of those 7 attempted more than 3 a game last year.

I just went and looked at all the centers from 15 years ago (the 2001-02 season) and arranged them by minutes per game. Of the top 50 centers in the league that year only one attempted at least a single 3 pointer per game (Raef Lafrentz). No other centers in the top 50 in mpg that year could be called 3 point shooters.

And that's without taking into account the big PF's like Tim Duncan, Jermaine O'Neal, Elden Campbel, or even Karl Malone who would play center in today's NBA.

Things have definitely changed.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
we had a couple seconds and took him and his 12 wives and 35 children

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 07:33:51 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
There was nothing to miss.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2017, 07:46:47 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Players do what players do.  People can ramble on all they want about three point shooting bigs being the future of the NBA - but the fact is that Boston (as the #1 seed in the East) struggled to get by lowly teams like the Bulls and Wizards - and the team's total inability to control the boards had a hell of a lot to do with that. 

Lack of interior size and defense didn't help either, since we were routinely getting killed on offense by lowly guys like Markief Morris and Robin Lopez - guys who have no business having big scoring nights against any team that calls itself a contender. 

Horford and Olynyjk were out there happily shooting threes away, but we still struggled mightily to win those two series.  Why?  Because as much as you can live by the three, you can also die by the three.  We have a lot guys like Crowder and Bradley who are core pieces on out team, and who's only offensive game really is taking threes and long twos.  When those jumpers aren't falling, your offense falls apart - and you can see that from our Playoff run.  In those games where Crowder and Bradley struggled with their jumpers,  we general got blown out. 

I like that we have plenty of shooters, and I get that threes are efficient (more points per shot), but they are also a higher risk. 

You need balance in this game. When your shooters are hitting shots that's great, but when they aren't you need a big old dude who you can pass the ball to 5 feet from the basket who can just dump that thing in for an easy two.  If anything I think that is even MORE important now, because the fact that the NBA has gone so small means that a guy like Dwight has an even bigger advantage down low then he would have in the past.   You get him the ball down low against somebody like Tristan Thompson and forget it - put two on the board.

You need that - it allows you to switch things up and make your game less predictable.  Boston was so predictable because everybody knows we are going to give it to IT. And once he gets shut down everybody knows the next plan is to throw it out to the perimeter for a jumper. That makes it easy to defend us - go small so you can use foot speed to switch rapidly and contest the perimeter.

Put a big like Dwight or Monroe down low at the center spot, and teams cant afford to risk gong small - they'll just get punished on offense every time.

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Players do what players do.  People can ramble on all they want about three point shooting bigs being the future of the NBA - but the fact is that Boston (as the #1 seed in the East) struggled to get by lowly teams like the Bulls and Wizards - and the team's total inability to control the boards had a hell of a lot to do with that. 

Lack of interior size and defense didn't help either, since we were routinely getting killed on offense by lowly guys like Markief Morris and Robin Lopez - guys who have no business having big scoring nights against any team that calls itself a contender. 

Horford and Olynyjk were out there happily shooting threes away, but we still struggled mightily to win those two series.  Why?  Because as much as you can live by the three, you can also die by the three.  We have a lot guys like Crowder and Bradley who are core pieces on out team, and who's only offensive game really is taking threes and long twos.  When those jumpers aren't falling, your offense falls apart - and you can see that from our Playoff run.  In those games where Crowder and Bradley struggled with their jumpers,  we general got blown out. 

I like that we have plenty of shooters, and I get that threes are efficient (more points per shot), but they are also a higher risk. 

You need balance in this game. When your shooters are hitting shots that's great, but when they aren't you need a big old dude who you can pass the ball to 5 feet from the basket who can just dump that thing in for an easy two.  If anything I think that is even MORE important now, because the fact that the NBA has gone so small means that a guy like Dwight has an even bigger advantage down low then he would have in the past.   You get him the ball down low against somebody like Tristan Thompson and forget it - put two on the board.

You need that - it allows you to switch things up and make your game less predictable.  Boston was so predictable because everybody knows we are going to give it to IT. And once he gets shut down everybody knows the next plan is to throw it out to the perimeter for a jumper. That makes it easy to defend us - go small so you can use foot speed to switch rapidly and contest the perimeter.

Put a big like Dwight or Monroe down low at the center spot, and teams cant afford to risk gong small - they'll just get punished on offense every time.
The flip side of that is that both Chicago and Washington had traditional bigs who rebound very well and neither could get past the Celtics, who had bigs who could stretch the floor.

I also don't think your point about Dwight or Monroe holds up as neither of those teams even got out of the first round. Atlanta is actually a great example of why having skilled players at every position is important. Look at Atlanta's offense with Dwight in the middle vs their offense when Horford was there.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2017, 09:24:54 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Dwight is washed up.  He hasn't been a great player since his Orlando days.  I'm not at all upset we didn't move for him as we'd rather save the cap space to sign a max free agent.