Author Topic: Forgotten Prospect from the Past: Jahlil Okafor  (Read 5682 times)

Re: Forgotten Prospect from the Past: Jahlil Okafor
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 07:39:34 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Players like dwight howard and brook lopez were just traded today for late first round picks and bags of potato chips

That means okafor is worthless
Then why is he still on the 76ers? And if that's the case, fine, but then the whole league has to admit they're horrid at talent evaluation.

To be fair, no teams have shown any interest with Okafor.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 07:47:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
To be fair, no teams have shown any interest with Okafor.

He has shown a bad attitude and his game is dated, why would they?

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I wonder if it's more his loaf attitude than his play style. Let's be real the kid can put the ball in the basket from the block. How long did it take Al to extend his range? You aren't locked into who you are as a player after only 100 pro games.

Most young players struggle on D and I believe that's a skill set any NBA can be at least avg. at if they work on it. Who was mentoring him in Philly to stay focused on the defensive end? Coach only hold so much weight there you need a peer leader who won't settle for your best on one end of the floor.

Would he fit in here? I don't know but I doubt we need to even think about that

ok fine

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 08:12:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
again...he doesn't fit into the system the Celtics prefer to play. Pace, space, and the 3 point shot. He's an old fashion back to the basket, 1970's type of center, that can't defend. He needs that certain team that still plays a more traditional game.

Seeing his Duke tapes, I'm wondering how much is lack of ability vs simple demotivation from being a part of a franchise that deliberately lost. Would he be motivated around personalities like Smart, Jaylen and Crowder... similar to Turner.

I'll always be interested in lottery picks from Sixers and Kings largely because they suck at player development.

But I get it...

PS...[Not related to Jah]... be careful not to fall into the rhetoric, space is created by dislocating defenders... nothing dislocates defenders like a dominant big man that commands a double team. So dominant, traditional centers can still play in a pace and space system... as long as he's a good passer

He also has a bum knee that has bothering him for over a year at this point...
Yep, but that brings up some interesting questions.  Is his play a result of the injuries or is just not a good fit for modern play?  Can he ever get healthy?  If he does get healthy, what kind of player will he ultimately be? 

I'd be willing to take a flyer on him if the price was something like Rozier as we have too many guards (which is compounded more if Hayward gets signed).  I think he'd be worth the risk at that price.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:32:07 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 08:21:46 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Danny likes something about Terry so I doubt he moves him to take a flier on a guy. I think Danny's flier is Rozier.
ok fine

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 09:20:42 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
DMC's first couple years as a defender were atrocious as well... and but he could always score... I see Jah in a similar light.... but then again we didn't want DMC either, so this topic is moot  I guess

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
What do you think happens to a guy when his coach says "Uh...yeah...we're gonna put you in the worst scenario possible....and uh...if you could play as bad as you can that would be great because we want a top pick this year".

TP. Sounds even better if you can imagine it in Bill Lumbergh's voice.

Mike

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I want him on the team and with our org he would be much better. Wish he was included in the trade though. Maybe we could have given up Marcus Smart and had the #1 overall restrictions taken away.....

btw Clay is wrong Okafor does not have a bum knee.

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Is it really forgotten when he's mentioned here daily?

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I want him on the team and with our org he would be much better. Wish he was included in the trade though. Maybe we could have given up Marcus Smart and had the #1 overall restrictions taken away.....

btw Clay is wrong Okafor does not have a bum knee.
No. Clay is correct. Okafor has battled the same knee injury that supposedly wasn't that serious since last march.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I still like Okafor on the cheap but not I'll be big fish get sorted out. Can't have his contract standing in the way of adding Blake Griffin or Gordon Hayward.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Remember when Roy Hibbert was an all-star and just dominating both ends of the floor; when pitchers had an ol' timey hitch.

I'd give him minutes on the claws though..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.