Author Topic: Forgotten Prospect from the Past: Jahlil Okafor  (Read 5717 times)

Re: Forgotten Prospect from the Past: Jahlil Okafor
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 10:34:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
What do you think happens to a guy when his coach says "Uh...yeah...we're gonna put you in the worst scenario possible....and uh...if you could play as bad as you can that would be great because we want a top pick this year".

Seriously...who is the single player they developed? Saric? He developed more in Europe. They had to let Europe develop him for them.

Their 3 best players at the start of next season has played 31 NBA games combined right?

Hey Nerlens Noel! You're playing too good! Off with ye!

Loser team.

It's not Jahil's fault. 

Listen Jahil. It's not your fault.

I know.

No look at me Jahil. It's not your fault.

I know.

No. Jahil. It's not your fault.

Stop messing with me man!

It's not your fault Jahil!

Stop messing with me man!

Jahil it's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's not your fault Jahil.

Waaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaa!

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 10:35:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
[dang] that was a good movie.

Anyway. Trade one of our later picks for the former consensus top 5 picks.

Give him to Stevens.

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 10:47:55 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Players like dwight howard and brook lopez were just traded today for late first round picks and bags of potato chips

That means okafor is worthless

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 10:54:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Players like dwight howard and brook lopez were just traded today for late first round picks and bags of potato chips

That means okafor is worthless
Then why is he still on the 76ers? And if that's the case, fine, but then the whole league has to admit they're horrid at talent evaluation.

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 03:03:29 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'd like him, lots of potential there. However let's wait until the beginning of free agency plays out. We're getting to max cap space and he'd impair that.

If we are interested it's the type of trade that makes more sense after we use our cap space

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 03:36:42 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Jahlil isn't forgotten, just irrelevant ATM.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 03:44:40 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I have no problem with people calling him a bust. But then the league has to admit it's terrible at talent evaluation because he was a consensus top 5 guy.

It has happened very often to be a coincidence.... It's either the league's inability to judge talent or it is too f#### hard.

Send him to an actual coach and see what he can do.

I'd certainly give him a second chance in a real nba team.  Oden without knees got extra chances, Beasley got extra chances 

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 03:55:55 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
As a center, if you are not a 3pts shooter, you need to be able to defend the perimeter well and recover fast in the paint, as well as being a rim protector and a rebounder. Offensive skill is not very necessary (see Zaza, Thompson). But if the center can pass, run in transition and is a descent 3pts shooter, then it's jackpot.
That's why I believe Zizic has even more value than Okafor.

That's how center are evaluated nowadays, but 1 or 2 seasons away, many teams were still in denial.

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 04:16:12 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
As a center, if you are not a 3pts shooter, you need to be able to defend the perimeter well and recover fast in the paint, as well as being a rim protector and a rebounder. Offensive skill is not very necessary (see Zaza, Thompson). But if the center can pass, run in transition and is a descent 3pts shooter, then it's jackpot.

That's how center are evaluated nowadays, but 1 or 2 seasons away, many teams were still in denial.
So hard to be a starter if you can't do these.
Center - the most important defensive position.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 04:29:16 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Who forgot about okafor? He's mentioned here literally all the time.
I wish I could forget about Okafor, but the blog just won't stop talking about him....
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 04:41:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Definitely not. One of the worst defensive bigs in the league, as well as an abysmal rebounder.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 04:49:30 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
[dang] that was a good movie.

Anyway. Trade one of our later picks for the former consensus top 5 picks.

Give him to Stevens.
What young players has Stevens developed?

Coach Brown is a good coach.  He was in charge of player development for the Spurs.  Covington has gone from a undrafted d-leaguer to a top defensive wing in the league.  Noel, Embiid, Holmes and McConnell have shown significant development under Brown.  He managed that while going through a multi-year tank. 

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 05:15:07 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I have no problem with people calling him a bust. But then the league has to admit it's terrible at talent evaluation because he was a consensus top 5 guy.
:angel:
It has happened very often to be a coincidence.... It's either the league's inability to judge talent or it is too f#### hard.
Assessing 19 year old one-and-dones is very difficult.  You're dealing with kids still developing to adulthood. Physically. Mentally. Kids that are about to become millionaires overnight.  And you're basically assessing them on a single college season.

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 07:12:15 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

This is correct.  When Okafor was drafted Lopez and Howard had major value.  Things have evolved quickly since then.  Plus as someone else mentioned, Okafor can't get his knee healthy and looks totally uninterested in defense.

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 07:30:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

That doesn't make sense IMO.  Zizic is not a 3-point shooter and not sure he can pass and run in transition.  If anything, Zizic is a lot like Okafor.