Author Topic: Forgotten Prospect from the Past: Jahlil Okafor  (Read 5681 times)

Forgotten Prospect from the Past: Jahlil Okafor
« on: June 20, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Short and simple question... we need scoring from the front court... and I love the cost-controlled value that a reclamation project can bring.

So....Is Jahlil Okafor's price finally low enough to be interesting?

Re: Forgotten Prospect from the Past: Jahlil Okafor
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 06:52:29 PM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
Short and simple question... we need scoring from the front court... and I love the cost-controlled value that a reclamation project can bring.

So....Is Jahlil Okafor's price finally low enough to be interesting?
We also need rebounding and defense from the front court.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
who?!?!  ;)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Not interested.  He's still a one dimensional player who is ultimately more of a negative than a positive on both ends of the floor.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 06:58:36 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Who forgot about okafor? He's mentioned here literally all the time.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 07:01:49 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
again...he doesn't fit into the system the Celtics prefer to play. Pace, space, and the 3 point shot. He's an old fashion back to the basket, 1970's type of center, that can't defend. He needs that certain team that still plays a more traditional game.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 07:03:50 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If we had any interest in Okafor, wouldn't he have been in the trade we completed with Philly yesterday?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 07:09:02 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
again...he doesn't fit into the system the Celtics prefer to play. Pace, space, and the 3 point shot. He's an old fashion back to the basket, 1970's type of center, that can't defend. He needs that certain team that still plays a more traditional game.

Seeing his Duke tapes, I'm wondering how much is lack of ability vs simple demotivation from being a part of a franchise that deliberately lost. Would he be motivated around personalities like Smart, Jaylen and Crowder... similar to Turner.

I'll always be interested in lottery picks from Sixers and Kings largely because they suck at player development.

But I get it...

PS...[Not related to Jah]... be careful not to fall into the rhetoric, space is created by dislocating defenders... nothing dislocates defenders like a dominant big man that commands a double team. So dominant, traditional centers can still play in a pace and space system... as long as he's a good passer

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 07:16:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Seeing his Duke tapes, I'm wondering how much is lack of ability vs simple demotivation from being a part of a franchise that deliberately lost. Would he be motivated around personalities like Smart, Jaylen and Crowder... similar to Turner.

I'll always be interested in lottery picks from Sixers and Kings largely because they suck at player development.

But I get it...

PS...[Not related to Jah]... be careful not to fall into the rhetoric, space is created by dislocating defenders... nothing dislocates defenders like a dominant big man that commands a double team. So dominant, traditional centers can still play in a pace and space system... as long as he's a good passer

He also has a bum knee that has bothering him for over a year at this point...

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 07:21:04 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

But I get it...

" . . . as long as he's a good passer."  He isn't.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 07:34:54 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Okafor was born at least 20 years too late.  Those kind of centers are going out of style.

Now, if he could somehow add a 3-point shot...

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Okafor was born at least 20 years too late.  Those kind of centers are going out of style.

im old and still covet Drummond ....LOL. .....i just like seeing him work around the basket......oh well

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
who?!?!  ;)

another Philly #1.  ....bust

ive lost count on he high picks they have drafted past 5 years and seen very little return ......

Gave Noel away .....i though he was one of the better players they got ......then they give him away and keep Oakfor ......smh

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 10:17:54 PM »

Offline uconnceltic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

im old and still covet Drummond ....LOL. .....i just like seeing him work around the basket......oh well

Me too as I am old school. He can rebound, run the floor and play defense. If he could shoot free throws he would be the best center in the game

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 10:29:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I have no problem with people calling him a bust. But then the league has to admit it's terrible at talent evaluation because he was a consensus top 5 guy.  The Monday morning QBing in this league is hilarious.

Send him to an actual coach and see what he can do.